The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
bigblue72cheyenne

tbi 350/ 4l60e swap in 72 cheyenne

Good evening folks! I'm new to these forums and figured I'd give it a shot. I've lucked into a 1972 Cheyenne lwb rolling chassis and i'm trying to find out if a tbi 350/ 4l60e swap is possible. The truck has, for the most part, been gutted. Engine and trans are lone gone. I have a 1994 chevy 4x4 donor truck (my old high school pickup) with a less than 20,000 mile rebuilt 4l60e and a rebuilt 350 tbi. I was planning on selling the old girl but I hate to see all that money and time go to waste. The 72 is on the list for a long wanted 4x4 conversion but I'd like to at least get it running under its own power first. Seeing as I have a complete donor truck, I'll have all the computers and electronics etc. for the fuel delivery and trans. I also have an intake manifold with a carb that i can swap out for the tbi if need be but I'm just curious if I can make the tbi work. I'm just having trouble figuring out how I can make it all work on a 40+ year old truck. Any help would be appreciated.
bigblue72cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: tbi 350/ 4l60e swap in 72 cheyenne

There has been more swaps done than you can shake a stick at, use the advanced search function and type in 4l60e swap or other key words and you will find some threads, here's 3 i looked up. These trucks came stock with sbc350's so as long as you have the correct engine mounts your 350 should drop right in, probably need a different trans mount and cross member and a shorter or longer driveshaft.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=4l60e+swap

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
hugger6933

You can send out your wiring harness off your motor and have it converted to a three or four wire hookup to the old engine harness. It is probably the best way to go to have what you want. Now you mentioned a carb that is an option but the L60E needs computer inputs to make it shift and one of the inputs is a Throttle position sensor. I personally would stay with the TBI it is a great running set up once done. Now the trans is gonna of course be a short shaft 4x output, and the transfer case from your donor is on the wrong side for the drop. BUT I have heard there is an adapter to put the correct case in there but I'm not into or up on the 4x stuff.
Welcome to the site!! Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
notsolo

Welcome.... With a complete donor I would say use it all. possibly use the OEM harness from the 94 and clean out the wires you don't need, or as Jim said get your harness redone. Fuel tank and pump are another thing to consider. I am going to try and fit OEM sender and pump in a Boyd side fill tank #14002...
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Acorn

Is your '72 2wd or 4wd?
The engine and wiring is real easy. And well worth it. (I love fuel injection)
The trans cross member can be moved back (3in I think) and drive shaft cut to length.
The hardest part in my opinion is figuring out how you want to run an electric fuel pump.
Don't remember what all is on this thread but it's some good readin.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=Tbi+swap
Do a "tbi swap" search. Lots of info on this site.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
bigblue72cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Is your '72 2wd or 4wd?
The engine and wiring is real easy. And well worth it. (I love fuel injection)
The trans cross member can be moved back (3in I think) and drive shaft cut to length.
The hardest part in my opinion is figuring out how you want to run an electric fuel pump.
Don't remember what all is on this thread but it's some good readin.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=Tbi+swap
Do a "tbi swap" search. Lots of info on this site.
It is 2wd for now. Eventually it will get a 4wd conversion but I'd like to get it running and moving under its own power first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
bigblue72cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Welcome.... With a complete donor I would say use it all. possibly use the OEM harness from the 94 and clean out the wires you don't need, or as Jim said get your harness redone. Fuel tank and pump are another thing to consider. I am going to try and fit OEM sender and pump in a Boyd side fill tank #14002...
I would like to keep and reuse the original tank. I've always had a thing for the cab fill tanks. The original tank is in the truck still and doesn't smell of varnish and I peeked into it with a flashlight and did not see any rust but I did not look very hard. I will inspect it more when I get home this evening. If it is unusable I do have a repro tank for a 71 sitting in the shop I can use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
bigblue72cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
You can send out your wiring harness off your motor and have it converted to a three or four wire hookup to the old engine harness. It is probably the best way to go to have what you want. Now you mentioned a carb that is an option but the L60E needs computer inputs to make it shift and one of the inputs is a Throttle position sensor. I personally would stay with the TBI it is a great running set up once done. Now the trans is gonna of course be a short shaft 4x output, and the transfer case from your donor is on the wrong side for the drop. BUT I have heard there is an adapter to put the correct case in there but I'm not into or up on the 4x stuff.
Welcome to the site!! Jim
Jim,

I've done a couple searches for someplace to send my wiring harness to get it converted with no results. I may not have been looking in the right places though. Do you have any leads as to where I can get it done?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
rsgt

This link should help you get it all working. http://www.persh.org/pickup/tbi-1.htm
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
bigblue72cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgt View Post
This link should help you get it all working. http://www.persh.org/pickup/tbi-1.htm
Awesome! That helps alot. On a brighter note, I did pick up a 1975 3/4 ton suburban 4x4 yesterday for the 4x4 conversion. Body is chewed up with cancer but the frame and axles are in great shape. I'm going to try and get the engine and trans pulled out of the 94 this weekend.