The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #1
rhm63

how to refinish pitted rims?

First, thanks to everyone for all the great info. I have been restoring my (grandfathers) 1963 stepside, and this forum has been my source to solve many issues.

Since it is very near driving condition finally, I need to get the wheels and tires ready. I have some steel bullet hole rims that were thinly chrome plated, but after sitting for along time they are pitted, but structurally sound. 15x8. I tried to polish them, but the pitting is too deep around the center.

What would be the cheapest way to make the rims look decent. I dont need anything fancy. I was thinking of just grinding off the chrome but I dont know how hard that would be. Another idea was to plasti-dip them, but I think it might look like crap if they arent smooth. I have more time than money. Any ideas to get them looking ok?

Thanks
rhm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Leadbelly

Re: how to refinish pitted rims?

I had a set of 16's on my 46, pitted bad. I used hammered bronze Rusoleum on them after sand blasting them. Masks the pitting ideally. I will show a link to the pictures so you can before and after. Was going to be a temporary fix until I figured out how to smooth them out, but wound up leaving them.
Leadbelly
Leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Leadbelly

I say drop them somewhere to blast them. As for time and money, totally understand. What I did was worked a deal with the guy for 30 bucks and he could take his time doing it. I left them there and the next time he fired up the blaster to blast a trailer, my wheels were in there conveniently in the way! Dude, I have even greased tracks with doughnut gift cards - be surprised what a 20 dollar doughnut card can get you!

Here is a link to some pictures prior and after. If I remember correctly, I tried hammered silver and was too bright, found I liked the bronze the best.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodson...57600835134039

Leadbelly
Old 03-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
BFoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm63 View Post
First, thanks to everyone for all the great info. I have been restoring my (grandfathers) 1963 stepside, and this forum has been my source to solve many issues.

Since it is very near driving condition finally, I need to get the wheels and tires ready. I have some steel bullet hole rims that were thinly chrome plated, but after sitting for along time they are pitted, but structurally sound. 15x8. I tried to polish them, but the pitting is too deep around the center.

What would be the cheapest way to make the rims look decent. I dont need anything fancy. I was thinking of just grinding off the chrome but I dont know how hard that would be. Another idea was to plasti-dip them, but I think it might look like crap if they arent smooth. I have more time than money. Any ideas to get them looking ok?

Thanks
while I definitely think blasting them would be the way to go, I am not so sure that they wouldn't look OK just plasti-dipping them. A few coats of plasti-dip is pretty thick and tends to fill in imperfections. I actually plasti-dipped over chrome wheels on my last truck just to see what black wheels would look like (before I committed to blasting and painting) and the plasti-dip held up surprisingly well.

I guess for what a can of plasti-dip costs, I would try that. Worst case scenario, it looks like crap and you can easily peel it off. Best case scenario, it looks decent and you can save up to get them blasted and painted.

All gone - '66 CJ5, '69 C25, '69 C25 Camper Special, '79 C10 Big Ten/Bonanza, '84 K10 Silverado
BFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Leadbelly

Never thought of dipping, interesting idea, will need to keep that in the back of my head.
Leadbelly
Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
rhm63

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about rustoleum. I think I will give that a go. Mine are to too bad, so I honk I can just rough up the chrome and paint them without getting them blasted.

Lead belly your wheels look great like the tires and rim color.
rhm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Leadbelly

They belong to someone else now. I had to sell the 46 for life stuff, but piced up a 63 a couple months back so picking up there.
Brett