The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Divine 59

Input on colors

Greetings,

These are the two colors I am thinking about for my truck. It is a 59 stepside/short box.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Input on colors

I'd pick the one on the right. Slightly more understated. Remember when the entire truck is painted whatever color, there's SO much more of it that it may feel like it's SCREAMING BLUE at you. Less is more in my opinion. You asked! Lol

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep..on the right..maybe even a shade or 2 darker..thats just me though
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
mr48chev

They both look good and neither will look "dated" in five years or even ten years from now and have that " so 2016" look. I rather favor the one on the right too though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
iowaboynca

And of course i'm in the minority by liking the one on left...just looks like its screaming for coats of clear coat to make it gloss...
Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
Foot Stomper

Blue has a challenge when it gets too light.... robin's egg blue for example.
Not saying either is Robin's Egg! The darker you go, the richer it gets in my opinion. Too dark and you might just as well paint it black... there's a song in there somewhere...
Anyway, I'll get to my point(s).
One, is that pictures On websites and digital cameras can never reveal the naked eye color so go with what you see.
Two. Good job on the spray out to really see the color! I sprayed a glove box door (with my color choice of Omaha Orange in an areosol) from a 58/59 because it's both flat and curved to show the real colors before I decide.
Three. I you park it, walk away 30 feet and turn to look back at it and you don't like the color, you're screwed!
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989

Last edited by Foot Stomper; 03-27-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
And of course i'm in the minority by liking the one on left...just looks like its screaming for coats of clear coat to make it gloss...
No, you're not. I've had a turquoise truck since '98. It appears more blue when the light has an orange tint, such as near sunset or in some parking lots at night. It's more green if the light has a bluer or greener tint, ie under fluorescent lights or on cloudy days. It's a really neat color as it never seems to be committed.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
_Ogre

i choose the yellow one

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Divine 59

I appreciate everyone's comments on the color. I will divulge a few things on these colors.
The truck was originally Dawn Blue. I've been looking for pictures of a truck this color to try and determine if I am comfortable with the color. When I bought the truck years ago from my wife's grandfather the paint was so chalky and faded I could not tell what color it was supposed to be.

The color on the right is a PPG mix of Dawn Blue. The color on the left is a color I admire- Grabber Blue from the Mustang 2014 ish year. The older color from the 70's looks lighter.

Comparing these two colors, I am surprised at how close they are. The Dawn Blue is slightly darker and has a tinge of green in it. Both are PPG mixes and will have a clear.

Now you know the rest of the story, will your opinions change?

Ogre- there probably is some yellow in the Dawn Blue
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
iowaboynca

I will chime in...

At the end of the day it is your truck and pick the color that appeals to you!

Because as Foot Stomper stated, you're the one that has to park it, turn around an look at it...(sic)

Pick the color you want.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
1project2many

Quote:
Now you know the rest of the story, will your opinions change?
I guess I don't understand the question. The turquoise on my truck is a Mercedes truck color not available in the US. The bumpers and grille are "Lada Beige." I chose the colors, not the manufacturer that originally came up with the colors.

If you're trying to make the truck original then you're barking up the wrong tree worrying about the color variant. Today's paint technology will provide far more gloss and durability than what was on the truck to begin with.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Divine 59

Some people get too carried away with the Ford and Chevy thing. I'm not saying there are people like that on this forum. However, I've seen people act ridiculous about things. The two colors are very close. I'm surprised by how close they came out.

Maybe I am missing your point on the paint technology. Both these colors are mixed using modern paint technology, only one color was formulated in the 50's the other in the last few years. They still use the same modern chemicals, just different tinting. Can you expound on what you mean? I'm always open to learning things from people in the hobby.

I am not a "purist" but my truck will remain somewhat stock, keeping the straight 6, adding fentons and dual exhaust. It will appear stock but with a period addition here or there.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Foot Stomper

I will agree that folks can get all caught up in the color thing saying "that's a Chrysler/Ford/GM/Isuzu/Fiat color" but the fact is, there are an infinite number of colors in the rainbow and we are literally able to make all of them in any paint brand you want.

In my years of selling automotive paint and dealing with colors, documentation and variants, you might be surprised to hear that many colors cross over between manufacturers and continents.

I get that you are not going for a concourse restoration so at the end of the day, you can use any color or variant you want to. You can tell folks whatever you want to as well... you can tell them it's a custom color to match your daughters high school grad dress, or the color of your wife's eyes!! If you want to stray away from the purest and closest color of blue to the original, only you will know and nobody will care and that's absolutely perfect. If you chose to go to the original color and proudly claim it is and love it at the same time, that's great too!

Personally, I am undecided on Omaha Orange and may stray a tone or two away, but that's my choice, as much as it's yours.

I am encouraging you to paint it whatever color you like and not give a damn what anybody else says about it. They can build one and paint it their favorite color if they want to criticize.

I appreciate the thread you started here because it does help to have input from others as we all have options when rebuilding these old time machines, and sometimes we know exactly what we want to do and other things we are wishy washy... enjoy your truck! No matter what color it is as long as YOU pick it!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
joedoh

left looks like porsche riviera blue, my absolute favorite blue. I jambed and firewalled a truck in that color, sold it before painting the rest but still love it.

left left left. life is too short for subtlety!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
Divine 59

Footstomper- I like your 69 Olds. I am also into the rockets.

Yes paint color is a personal selection and I will be the one to decide, so I only have myself to blame.

I like the perspectives everyone brought up about color choices. I have a little time left to decide.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #16
Hilljack51

I think that since you have obviously shown a preference to the color on the left it would be your best option. A quick google image search results in a lot of TF trucks in bright blue hues but nothing exactly like Ford's Grabber Blue. If you pick it, you will still keep the color close to the original, but will add your own personal touch to it.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #17
1project2many

Quote:
I will agree that folks can get all caught up in the color thing saying "that's a Chrysler/Ford/GM/Isuzu/Fiat color" but the fact is, there are an infinite number of colors in the rainbow and we are literally able to make all of them in any paint brand you want.
Ahh... I understand. If you start looking at variants on OE colors, that is, the "not exactly right" colors that come from the factory, some colors can have quite a range of difference and still be "original." And as previously mentioned some colors are so close across manufacturers that it's difficult to tell the difference. And of course, no two people see the same color the same way. So go ahead and paint it the color you like best. You'll hear "Nice truck" compliments more often than "That's the wrong color" complaints.

Quote:
Maybe I am missing your point on the paint technology. Both these colors are mixed using modern paint technology, only one color was formulated in the 50's the other in the last few years. They still use the same modern chemicals, just different tinting. Can you expound on what you mean?
Sure. Automotive paint today doesn't look like old paint. Brand new paint jobs in the "old days" rarely had the range, depth, and gloss that can be found in today's finishes. And in short order the appearance of those repaints would change due to pigment reactions with ultraviolet light and paint oxidation. You can paint a truck with the correct color "all new" automotive paint and put it next to a truck recently painted with the same color in enamel and there will almost always be a noticeable difference between the two. Compare them after a year and the difference is often more dramatic.

Note that I have no problem with painting a truck with new technology. I just find it ironic to see folks hand-wringing over an exact color match in a restoration (not suggesting that you are doing this) when there are other "not rights" that are never even considered. I actually opted for new tech paint due to the cost of buying old tech. I was working in a body shop and was able to purchase a single stage catalyzed paint from the shop for less than having my color mixed in enamel or lacquer elsewhere.

Last edited by 1project2many; 03-29-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i choose the yellow one
LMAO

I like the yellow one too! Corvette yellow on my 58 Cameo

But Yes i am Going with Blue on my 59 Stepside and i would pick the one on the Right!

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
MARTINSR

The big problem with this is what each of our computer monitors is going to do to the color! Fine color differences is going right out the window with us looking at a monitor. I have seen colors look crazy different one photo to the next here.

My advice, spray a large test panel and choose the one you like, done deal.

When it comes to color I have to say, I love all colors, to me there is a place for every one of them. I especially like colors you don't have to explain. You know what I mean? Those "it's a redish yellowish gold color" are the ones I like the least. I like the colors like "it's RED" "It's BLUE" those are my kinda colors.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
58CameoAZ

Talking about colors on our monitors versus the real color reminds me on how my best
friend got his 59 ford 4x4 in Peterson's 4-Wheel drive magazine and he painted it
Red and had some Yellow and white Graphics, Really wild at the time but all the colors
were just your base color's, well when the magazine article came out they had the
photo's so touched up that the Red looked like it was Candy Apple Red and all the other colors looked Candy. people that new my buddy would say hey I saw your truck
in the magazine, BUT What Happened to the Colors did the Fade? My friend actually wished that he did not get his truck in the Mag as it was so far from the real paint colors
it really was.
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote