The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
slotard

Rust repair

My '73 C20 has plenty of surface rust, including lots of missing paint, but no visible holes. Well, I was swapping my seat yesterday, pulled up on the carpet and it turns out I have some holes. I hadn't even thought to look before, it's always been a California truck as far as I can tell and with no holes on the outside I didn't think to look that close.

Looking from below I only see holes along the line the ones there are on, and a few on the other side.

Any suggestions on where to buy patches? I'm an ok welder but haven't done any bodywork. Where is a good bodywork guide? I certainly don't need perfection but holes are a different story.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Front Range

Re: Rust repair

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=654121&highlight=who+sells+patch+panels

I have used Key Parts which is a decent replacement. If you use Top Banana understand you will receive nothing more than a payment confirmation and the parts arrive 7-14 days later. Nsanehotrodz sells the same brand Tri-plus / Key and is a board member. There are other board members/vendors but I can't remember all their names.

I'm assuming that rust is probably inside the outer rocker and kick panel as well but hasn't come through the exterior metal yet. I had a small hole in my front fender, turned out it was also in the rocker/kick panel/ floor support where those pieces come together.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
slotard

Re: Rust repair

Since I have no holes elsewhere it's possible that there is (or was) a windshield leak resulting in puddles there, leading to the rust.

If I have to do rockers I'll probably do rectangular tube rockers.