The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
72tutone

Hydroboost Prop valve Question

Guys,
I scored a hydroboost off a 93 astro van over the weekend. I have a question within regards to the prop valve and master cylinder hookup

Which port on the master cylinder serves as the front brakes? I plan on using my original prop valve and I need to know which port goes to the port on the master cylinder. I would think the larger of the two reservoir would go to the front brakes and the smaller to the rear. Whats odd though it looks like the front of the master cylinder users 1/4 and the rear uses 3/16. So from that perspective I would think the larger would go to the rear as well. But its also using the front port which is the smaller of the two reservoir's

My setup is disc/drum factory.

Thanks all
Attached Images

72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Valarius_Starchaser

Re: Hydroboost Prop valve Question

I looked on my catalog and found on the original prop valve set up the front port on the prop valve goes to the front (smaller) reservoir on the master cylinder.

That being said I do not see where the brake line run to the wheels from the prop valve so I do not know if it infact goes to the front wheels from there on the original setup. I would go back and take a look at the van you got it from to be certain.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
I looked on my catalog and found on the original prop valve set up the front port on the prop valve goes to the front (smaller) reservoir on the master cylinder.

That being said I do not see where the brake line run to the wheels from the prop valve so I do not know if it infact goes to the front wheels from there on the original setup. I would go back and take a look at the van you got it from to be certain.

Thanks Valarius. So I went out and looked at my truck again and did confirm the front of the prop valve 3/16 is for the front disc setup and the larger 1/4 is for the rear brakes.

So looking at the hydro master cylinder I would believe that the larger of the two reservoirs would server as the front brake connection and the smaller the rear.

The more I'm thinking about it, it makes sense. As the line coming out of the hydroboost master cylinder large reservoir is also a 3/16 line and the smaller is the larger 1/4 line.

I guess they have the larger line for the amount of length it takes to get the fluid all the way to the back of the truck?

I dont know, I'm taking an educated guess. If someone knows for certain can you please chime in?

This is place is the best for information. Quite invaluable!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Hydroboost Prop valve Question

Factory front disc line works on pressure more than volume so the smaller line is correct.

Rear drums work off volume instead of pressure so the 1/4" lines are correct.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
72tutone

Awesome Andy.

So it looks like the front of my prop valve 3/16 will hook to the rear of the MC <large reservoir>, and the 1/4 is self explanatory from there.

Excellent information. Best community around. Cheers!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
cleszkie

All the above info is correct if you have a 1/2 truck. If you have a 3/4ton truck, then the front and rear reservoirs are reversed on the master cylinder.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tutone View Post
Which port on the master cylinder serves as the front brakes?
The large reservoir and corresponding port go to the front brakes. This is because of the volume of fluid required to backfill the movement of the front pistons, compared to the size of the rear wheel cylinders. (Visualize the piston diameter vs the wheel cylinder diameter and I think you'll agree).

It should be as you have it marked in the first photo.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
Keith Seymore

As far as the prop valve - I'm being told that it should be marked ("in" and "out"). Take a good look at it and let us know if that is not the case.

I think we collectively have decided it would be the opposite of what you show in your second picture.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-29-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
72tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
As far as the prop valve - I'm being told that it should be marked ("in" and "out"). Take a good look at it and let us know if that is not the case.

I think we collectively have decided it would be the opposite of what you show in your second picture.

K
Ill take a look at the prop valve when I get a free moment and let you all know.

Thank you all again