The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
Tod59

carburetor adjustment help

Hey guys, I have 59 with an original 6 cylinder. I believe the original carburator. The truck will not start (turns over just fine) when it's cold. Even with the choke on ( it is working) the truck just cranks over and over. Choke open or closed, it won't start.
Squirt in a little starting fluid and it fires right up. It has a brand new fuel filter installed correctly, a clean gas tank and I can't figure it out?
After its started, it runs fine.....start it when it's warm and no problem.
Is there a tutorial on how to adjust this carb?
My cell phone won't let me search threads for some reason.. pics would be great too as I'm not sure what to adjust on the carb.
Thanks, tod
Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: carburetor adjustment help

The problem may not be the carburetor!

First off, folks who grow up with fuel injected cars are used to the computer doing all the work. To start a carb when the engine's cold you need to press the throttle one or two times before cranking. Maybe you know this but I don't want to miss something obvious.

Also, there should be a green wire from the starter solenoid to the coil or the resistor which allows the coil to "see" full voltage during cranking. If this wire is not present you will see hard starts.

And the timing should be set correctly as well. Timing that's not advanced enough won't allow the engine to "catch" when cold.

And the plugs need to be clean of dark carbon around the center electrode as this could short out the spark.

Good luck!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
OrrieG

Accelerator pump is worn, not giving the initial shot of fuel. Probably stumbles when you try to quickly accelerate too. Use the search function, this has been discussed before. IfI wasn't on my phone I would frind the thread.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Coupeguy2001

Ok, how long between starts on this truck? was it a week? on a carburetor that old, there is no EPA capping of the bowl vent.
The gas might be leaking into the engine and or evaporating at the same time.

Try using a small rubber line to the bowl vent to a syringe filled with gas. fill up the bowl with the syringe, then try using the choke.

Gas will evaporate in 3 or 4 days from a non capped bowl vent.
My wife always complains about the gas smell from my 57 truck. It's cause the fuel is evaporating in to the air, and she can smell it.

Proper operation of the choke is to give it gas, then turn ign. on, press the starter, pull the choke knob out, count to 3, then push the choke in till it starts, then pull the choke out a little till it warms up, then push it all the way in.

Re-read your post. ummm how old is the gas?

Old old gas loses it's energy
Try a gallon jug of fresh fuel with a rubber line hooked to the fuel pump inlet, You need to crack the line at the fuel gauge sender to keep from draining the whole tank where it sits. get it fired, then try it again.
If your results are promising, you need to clean the gas. just shining a light into the tank and finding nothing isn't good enough.

Also, where did u get the gas? was it in a can in the garage for a year?

Just looking for a cause.....

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 04-02-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Tod59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
Ok, how long between starts on this truck? was it a week? on a carburetor that old, there is no EPA capping of the bowl vent.
The gas might be leaking into the engine and or evaporating at the same time.

Try using a small rubber line to the bowl vent to a syringe filled with gas. fill up the bowl with the syringe, then try using the choke.

Gas will evaporate in 3 or 4 days from a non capped bowl vent.
My wife always complains about the gas smell from my 57 truck. It's cause the fuel is evaporating in to the air, and she can smell it.

Proper operation of the choke is to give it gas, then turn ign. on, press the starter, pull the choke knob out, count to 3, then push the choke in till it starts, then pull the choke out a little till it warms up, then push it all the way in.

Re-read your post. ummm how old is the gas?

Old old gas loses it's energy
Try a gallon jug of fresh fuel with a rubber line hooked to the fuel pump inlet, You need to crack the line at the fuel gauge sender to keep from draining the whole tank where it sits. get it fired, then try it again.
If your results are promising, you need to clean the gas. just shining a light into the tank and finding nothing isn't good enough.

Also, where did u get the gas? was it in a can in the garage for a year?

Just looking for a cause.....
Thanks, I should have been more specific in my post. I bought the truck last fall, been working on it and driving it regularly. Several fresh tanks of gas in her.

When I say it won't start when it's cold.....what I meant was if I drive the truck in town for about 1/2 hour, then come home, and turn truck off.....then try and restart right away, it fires right up. If I turn her off and let truck sit a few hours, then I have a terrible time trying to start her. Then I need a shot of starting fluid to get her going.

It appears I may not be operating the choke correctly. When the truck is cold, I hop in, pull the choke, give her a few pumps and then try and start her. Your post indicates I have my starting procedure out of order. I'll try your suggestions today on starting and report back tonight.

OrrieG.....thanks, I'll look up the accelerator pump information on Monday on my laptop.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
OrrieG

Back at my computer, look at some of the threads in this search.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=593400
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod59 View Post

It appears I may not be operating the choke correctly. When the truck is cold, I hop in, pull the choke, give her a few pumps and then try and start her. Your post indicates I have my starting procedure out of order. I'll try your suggestions today on starting and report back tonight.

OrrieG.....thanks, I'll look up the accelerator pump information on Monday on my laptop.

Thanks.
Your cold starting procedure is almost if not exactly what I would have suggested, Set the choke pump the pedal a few times (each engine seems to have a different number of times it likes) and crank the engine while maybe giving it a couple more shots.

My guess is that the accelerator pump is pretty well shot or that circuit is plugged. When you are driving down the road and hit the gas does it seem to pretty well take right off accelerating or does it have a big hesitation and then take off? The hesitation wold show that the pump was shot.

You can buy the accelerator pump separate but I'd think about rebuilding/ freshening up the whole carb with a new kit an cleaning it good.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Tod59

Thanks guys. Do any of our vendors (LMC or brothers) sell rebuild carburator kits?
Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
mr48chev

You should be able to get a kit locally at a NAPA or other full service parts house. It shows two different carbs available on 6cyl engines that year. Scroll down if the carb and carb kit page comes up sometimes they revert back to the home page.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/se...plication=true

I looked and O'Reilly's doesn't show the kits online.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-02-2016 at 07:35 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote