The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
DBK81

Sometimes you just have to shake your head

So this winter, I aquired my '72 and since getting it from storage three weeks ago, I have been going through it and tending to certain things, some small, some not so small. One of the things the PO mentioned was when he had the ZZ4 crate motor put in that he didn't have a rad overflow, and that getting one installed would be a good idea, but what he really meant to say was that instead of buying a $15 rad overflow jug and mounting it, he took a powerade bottle drilled a hole in the lid, duct taped the hell out of it, stuffed a hose into it and zip tied it a few inches away from the fan. this for me wasn't going to fly...... $15 later, and 5 min to mark and drill a spot to mount a rad overflow it's installed, and my motor isn't relying on a zip tied sports drink bottle, I'm almost positive it would have taken more time to dr that stupid powerade bottle than to mount the real thing. Like I said, sometimes you just have to shake your head and smile,
Old 04-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Sometimes you just have to shake your head

LOL, yeah I saw a similar design at a local car show recently, makes you wonder!!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
DBK81

Some visual evidence of the gaff.

Click for larger images.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Ringo934

I also had to replace my radiator cap when I installed mine. I went with a radiator cap from a 1985 GMC C/1500. I just needed a closed system cap so it would return the coolant back into the radiator.
Carburetors, because I don't care to consort with that of the robot race.
Ringo934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Jrainman

LOL you have to enjoy it I find very interesting I just picked up a 68 SWB and I would bet the PO of my 68 went to the same certified Auto mechanic School as yours... Enjoy Making it correct again
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

All the trucks I've had and I've never had an overflow bottle or worried over one

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
MikeB

It's simply amazing what some, if not most, people do to their vehicles to "repair" them.

Things I found on my 82 pickup:

EGR valve removed and an ill-fitting home-made block-off plate installed using a paper gasket. Result = massive vacuum leak.

Original rubber/vinyl floor mat replaced with a sheet of black felt wrinkled around the trans hump and glued to the metal floor.

CAT converter removed and replaced with a way too small pipe that looked like it was welded by a 6th grader. I'd guess that the welds sealed maybe 50% of the gaps!

Muffler held up by bailing wire.

Silicon sealant gooped up around windshield and driver's vent window

Unfortunately, most folks would rather patch things that repair them properly.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
The Chainsaw

That's nothing. Had a buddy putting a bunch of boost on a stock 5.0 fox mustang that blew a LEAST a quart of oil out the breathers. He had a nice breather with a canister installed, but it would overflow the half-quart canister a couple hundred feet down the 1/4 mile.

He took the filter off, added a hose to a 2 liter 7-up bottle, and hose-clamped the filter to the top of the bottle. He could make it a whole 1/4 mile pass then he would just empty it back into the motor. It was great to watch
The Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
hugger6933

Funny how the guy would spend to get a ZZ4 then cheap out on the cooling system. Just one of those things that make you go HMM. Now I build wrecks and I hat rewrecks but I got a Ranger once that had a clip cab replaced and the A pillars were tacked with a Brazing rod. That same truck had the windshield held in with black silicone and sheet metal screws with large flat washers in the corners to hold it in place. By the way when the truck got bumped in the front before I bought it the cab broke loose and the A-pillars were like straight up and down. I had to redo all of that before even starting on the rest of the truck. The thing is I saw the truck then turned it down and then went on a vaca and my dad went back and got it and it was sitting waiting on me when I got home. I think it was punishment for going away. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
46stude

Huh. I had an old plastic water bottle secured w electrical tape as an overflow tank under the hood of my car forever. Good to know people take time to whine about such things on the ol' interweb instead of doing something constructive. Lol
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
DBK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46stude View Post
Huh. I had an old plastic water bottle secured w electrical tape as an overflow tank under the hood of my car forever. Good to know people take time to whine about such things on the ol' interweb instead of doing something constructive. Lol
Seems like a real half ass thing to do, guess there has to be people out there that do things half ass. I stick to doing things properly. Enjoy.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
All the trucks I've had and I've never had an overflow bottle or worried over one
Yup...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
46stude

So, did you tell the previous owner he did something real half-assed, or was it always your intention to make fun of him on the internet?

I had a water bottle under my hood for a couple months. It was a side of the road fix, & we all do quick fixes that get left, well... quick fixed for longer than we usually anticipate. I just don't see the point of purchasing a truck, knowing there was a fix I didn't approve of, then posting on a website to tell everyone how much better I am than the PO when I've fixed it. The ability to turn otherwise intelligent adults into adolescent smart alek's is one power of the internet that's always bewildered me. But hey, it's just the internet. We'd all be better off if it wasn't taken so seriously.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

The previous owner pointed out that it needed an overflow, so he didn't consider the bottle good either. It's an old truck he was selling and done working on. It's an old truck you bought and are working on.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Myoldtruck

Week after getting my 70 c/10 home rear wheels locked up not to far from home and on a side street. Got towed home and start looking at the rear rubber brake line. Someone installed the rear shocks and got the rubber line on the wrong side of the shock. Shock is now rubbing against rubber line, PO wrapped line in duct tape and used bailing wire around the line to pull away from the shock. I replaced the line correctly. One of many problems fixed since ive had the truck the last 6 months.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
doo142

If we can get past the whining on both sides!! The cool thing about these "rigged fixes" is that next time your on the side of the road one of these will pop up In your head and may get you home , to a parts place or down the road for years!!! Enjoy the story don't take it personal
67 Chevy Napco c30 Dump
56 GMC Napco 4x4 short step
66 Chevy K10
68 Chevy C/30 4x4
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
DBK81

A road side fix is one thing, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my vehicles, new or old, I'm not going to be ok with it being held together with bubble gum and wishes. As was said to each there own, I was just sharing my surprises when it comes to dealing with vintage vehicles.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #18
Possmguts

If I spent the time to shake my head at all the things I've redone on mine I would still be shaking my head 3 years into to rebuild... Its just part of buying any old vehicle that has not been restored.

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
hugger6933

Rereading this made me remember the drug head[I think he since has done a successful rehab] came by my shop once needing something for his truck and he had a 5 gal gas jug [you know the red plastic kind for lawnmower gas]sitting in the rf corner of the engine compartment. He said he used to have a tarp strap pulling it away from the manifold but had since lost it.It had a rubber hose stuck over in it taped in by duct tape.
I just remembered it knowing how some guys hate rubber gas linesAs far as I know he drove like that for several months.
I couldn't make it across the driveway without a huge explosion!
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #20
DBK81

Hahaha wow, that has can story makes me feel better about the things I've seen.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #21
Grumpy old man

I just removed the orange shag carpet that was screwed to the dash and door panels of a '67 parts truck , it had box speaker mounted to the interior wall right behind the driver and passengers head ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote