The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Scott76

Who do we like for new seat upholstery?

I searched, didn't see too much feedback on specific vendors. Seems most go to a local guy. My local guy has done work before and is good, but he's a little pricey. The bigger issue is that he takes FOREVER, and I want to be driving this thing by May.

LMC? Seems like some of their stuff is good, some is terrible.

Classic industries?

Rock Auto?

Any feedback much appreciated.
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
05duramaxhd

Re: Who do we like for new seat upholstery?

Usa1 out of North Carolina
05duramaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I got my vinyl seat cover from lmc..fit perfect...can't say the same for their floormats.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there is a fellow here named CaptKaos he runs a site and he is a site vendor. I have bought over the years several seat covers from him and they have all been top notch and great fitting.. I will admit that I did have one set professionally installed but I did the other one and had zero problems. Id highly recommend him

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
chrismoore701

I am planning to go with classic industries. Only because they have a better selection
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #6
barry1982

I bought the cloth/vinyl "silverado style" replacement seat cover from LMC. The fit/look was fantastic.... came with replacement hog rings and pliers. After I was done, you would swear it was a factory seat cover. I was happy until about a year later, the cloth / vinyl "split' at the seam on the drivers side exposing the foam. My original lasted 30 years.... LMC split after a year..... This cover was not cheap either.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
TKCR

I just got my own material (ordered it online) and had a local reupholster do the seat. Looks just like the original.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #8
Scott76

Hmm. The offerings from Classic Industries, rock auto, and stock interiors all look exactly the same. Prices are pretty much the same too except the rock auto pieces don't include the hog rings and pliers.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
1redbowtie3

I just got one from here, haven't installed it yet but the quality looks good on it ..
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Mattchu60

Has anyone tried to replace the seat foam with something better/newer? Mine is pretty worn out in the drivers spot - has a lot of bounce whenever the truck bounces, I think a firmer cushion would really help.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
MikeB

My 82 truck's original vinyl cover is starting to come apart at the seams. Nothing major yet, and it's simply amazing that it's lasted 34 years!

I've had two local guys do interior work for me in the past, and I'll probably go that route. I believe their materials and stitching are higher quality than the mass market covers. One of them did some major work on my old 69 pickup's sagging seat base, installed new foam, and sewed and installed cloth/vinyl covers for around $300. That was 10 years ago and the cover still looks great. Of course the truck probably has no more than 10K miles on it since then, and he'd probably charge me $450 to do the same job today.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 AM   #12
74Chevy808

www.carandtruckupholstery.com
74Chevy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Scott76

Quick question: are the seating surfaces on these vinyl or velour, when you choose the blend? It's hard to tell in the pics and from the description it almost makes it seem as though the majority of the seat is vinyl and the trim is velour. I'm hoping it's the opposite of that.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76 View Post
Quick question: are the seating surfaces on these vinyl or velour, when you choose the blend? It's hard to tell in the pics and from the description it almost makes it seem as though the majority of the seat is vinyl and the trim is velour. I'm hoping it's the opposite of that.
The correct way, at least for for my model, was a patten velour on the seat and seat back. A solid velour trims the very top of the seat and down the center. The vinyl goes along the bottom and is on the backside of the setback, the part facing the back of the cab. Here's mine.

But depending on the year, model & option, the seat could be complete vinyl or cloth/velour and ect.

The blue seat also shown, was a combination of wool cloth, velour and vinyl.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote