The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
jaymurg

Red face At a lost as To what transmission to get

Ok so very new to the truck world and am currently in the process of swapping out my 350 in my 66 gmc 3/4 ton, into my 1970 C10 which has no motor/trans.

So the plan is to put the 350 with the Automatic transmission directly into the C10 then either sell the GMC as a roller OR get a motor and trans for it and have two trucks.

So my question is what transmissions would Work with the GMC? Where do you guys go to get em? Ebay and craigslist is proving futile.

Should i leave the transmission in the GMC and get a motor for it then get a new transmission for the 350 when its in the C10? What Automatic Transmissions are recommended for the 350 that will fit in a C10?

Thank you all in advance very much for taking the time to help me out. Hope to get to know some of you here
jaymurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #2
jaymurg

Re: At a lost as To what transmission to get

basically i am looking for list of viable transmissions that i could start hunting down
jaymurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
notsolo

IMO Leave the GMC as is. If your not in a hurry to get this handled make a list of what you want, check craigs list local paper for engine trans. Just about any GM engine trans will work, Sell the GMC when you get the 70 together, whats the rear gear ratio? whats your plans for use of the truck?
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
urmyboyblue

Since a 350 did not come in a 66 Chevy truck, there has been some swapping happening in its past. Stock it would have probably come with a powerglide.

The 1970 had either a powerglide or a TH350 in it originally if the truck originally had an automatic in it. I would suggest a TH350 myself. The electronic version of it that includes overdrive is the 4L60E- but you will have to buy an aftermarket controller for it. You could also use a 2004R or a 700R4, but both will require a change in driveshaft and crossmember, but have overdrive.

As for where to buy- check with a local transmission shop to see if they can supply you one. It will probably be a little pricey. Local Pull a part auto salvage yards might also have one but you are taking your chances on it working.

Also note that TH350's and TH400's were used in both Chevrolet and BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) cars. There is a difference in the bolt pattern for bolting the trans to the engine. If you get a BOP patterned transmission, you can buy an adapter to make it fit the Chevrolet- but that is an extra cost.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
suburban99

FWIW: My rule of thumb when junkyard buying is if the vehicle is smashed up, it had to be running...if there is no major body damage then why is it in the junkyard? Worked for me for 40 years or so.
1997 Boxster.
1972 K10 Custom Deluxe LS 6.0
1950 GMC 3100 S10 & LS swapped
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
balesjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban99 View Post
FWIW: My rule of thumb when junkyard buying is if the vehicle is smashed up, it had to be running...if there is no major body damage then why is it in the junkyard? Worked for me for 40 years or so.
Most Salvage (junk) yards will swap it out for another if it dosen't work. Installation is on you.
balesjb is offline   Reply With Quote