The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
weider1717

Trying to decide what to do (pics)

I haven't dug into things yet trying to decide what path to take but pulled the passenger side valve cover just to see how much coolant gunk is in there not pretty.

I'm honestly thinking about just pulling the engine and rebuilding it top to bottom what if I pull the intake and thats not the problem then proceed onto pull the heads and rework them put it all back and not long after have engine issues from this?

also I now understand why my compression readings were all 180lbs I bet coolant was in the cylinders and caused it to read high? Just a thought. I may pull all the plugs turn it over a few times and see which cylinders if any pumps any coolant out from the spark plug holes.

What I would like to do is pull it and just rebuild it and hopefully be done for years and years to come. Can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit and possibly some ideas to be thinking of while I start to tear into this engine as far as some things I will probably want to upgrade internally while I'm there anyway?

I already know to go with a double roller timing chain. Anything else? If possible I will keep the standard bore and heads and I have heard not to do a 3 angle valve job and not too keen on porting and dremeling my heads kinda picky with the truck but if theres some things that may help with performance and longevity of the engine that you guys are aware of having done rebuilds and more engine work than me just let me know.

I have also read things like go with has tang rings over sealed power etc not sure why but if theres things like this that are good advice in a rebuild thats the info I would appreciate!

Name:  IMG_8537.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8538-2.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  108.9 KB

Last edited by weider1717; 04-03-2016 at 01:52 PM.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
weider1717

Re: Trying to decide what to do (pics)

Guess people expected me to have the heads pulled, haha. Been busy and like I said trying to decide if it's worth going that route or just pulling it guess i got long winded in the post.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Shugalou

Sounds like a fair bit of work. Don't you guys in the states have the option of replacing with a brand new crate motor for less than 2gs delivered?

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Oberon67

It's possible to pull the crank and pistons, hone the cylinders, replace the rings and main bearings and cam and lifters, and reassemble without pulling the motor. Not optimal, but possible.
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
TrailerTrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon67 View Post
It's possible to pull the crank and pistons, hone the cylinders, replace the rings and main bearings and cam and lifters, and reassemble without pulling the motor. Not optimal, but possible.
that is true but it would be easier to just pull the engine. you save yourself from removing the radiator and fighting with everything while climbing in and out of the engine bay and crawling around under the truck.

if you are doing the cam then the intake would have to be removed and everything on top of that. so you are pretty much left with the exhaust pipes, engine mounts, and trans to engine bolts. then the engine comes out

i have no idea why anyone would want to do all that with the engine in the vehicle
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #6
cdub2010

Perfect time for a GM crate motor with vortec heads. More power with a warranty, its a no brainer. I wouldn't waste any money or effort rebuilding a tbi motor.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
weider1717

No guy's I'm undecided to tear into it to find out if it's and intake manifold leak or head gasket etc..or to just pull it and rebuild it and be done for many years.

On the fence about just fixing whats wrong NOW.

thats what I meant trust me if it gets deep I'll pull the engine.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #8
andrewmp6

I would pull the intake see if that was leaking if not go deeper.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
Jaysonb

Coolant in the oil isn't good for bearings. I'd pull it.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
weider1717

A higher hp crate option was mentioned I have thought about that but I would love to keep the truck stock in appearance.

Is it possible while knowing you hurt hp to take something like the link below or a better 350 and put my heads on it and intake manifold etc will all that bolt right up?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp15/overview/
Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
Oberon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
Coolant in the oil isn't good for bearings. I'd pull it.
This.
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
xrcr

If you are spending the cash for a stroker short block I would not throw my stock parts at it. As easy as these are to pull, tear it down and put it back together if you want to stay on the cheap
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
barry1982

Hmmm.... are you sure that stuff is "coolant gunk".....?? I used to have an old Chevelle with a orange block 350.Always used Esso engine oil, but got a deal on a couple cases of Quaker State. After a few oil changes, needed to do the valve cover gaskets. Had a very similar build up as yours inside the valve covers. I'm not sure if it's true, but my Dad told me Quaker State uses more "wax" in their oil, and it builds up in your engine.... I switched back to Esso.... and build up went away.....
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 AM   #14
andrewmp6

Thinking about it it could even just be condensation,If a motor is not drove long enough and only used for short trips.You can have condensation build up in the engine which will turn the oil milky and almost look like coolants been in it.You could send your used oil to a oil analysis place like blackstone labs they can tell you for sure if you have any coolant at all in the oil.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
hatzie

Before you tear into it more do some tests. It may save you a bunch of time.

Pressurizing each cylinder with the valves closed and the piston at the bottom of the stroke while looking and listening for air bubbles at the radiator is a first check. Bubbles = cracks or blown head gaskets. No bubbles means the water is coming from some other source.

No bubbles? It may be the the intake. Drain the coolant down below the intake and pressurize the radiator to 15-20PSI.
If it stays at 15-20PSI, after you shut off the air, then there's no leak so it's probably condensation. Get a block heater and warm her up before you go for a drive or just drive for longer than 15 minutes at a time.
If it's leaking down see if you can hear the air leak near the pushrods that are close to the intake coolant crossover passages. If you can hear it there then it's intake gaskets.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 04-06-2016 at 11:40 AM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #16
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Before you tear into it more do some tests. It may save you a bunch of time.

Pressurizing each cylinder with the valves closed and the piston at the bottom of the stroke while looking and listening for air bubbles at the radiator is a first check. Bubbles = cracks or blown head gaskets. No bubbles means the water is coming from some other source.

No bubbles? It may be the the intake. Drain the coolant down below the intake and pressurize the radiator to 15-20PSI.
If it stays at 15-20PSI, after you shut off the air, then there's no leak so it's probably condensation. Get a block heater and warm her up before you go for a drive or just drive for longer than 15 minutes at a time.
If it's leaking down see if you can hear the air leak near the pushrods that are close to the intake coolant crossover passages. If you can hear it there then it's intake gaskets.
it was leaking coolant just sitting there not in use and no external leaks at all. I did the radiator pressure test it lost 1psi in 5min if I remember correctly not much but when I drained the oil there was def coolant.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #17
68c10owner

I dont care what anyone says, if you try to hone a block with it still in the truck there is no way you will get it clean enough to reassemble. And if you get it to that point anyway, what is 8 bolts to remove it?

I`d pull the engine. You can have the block magged first to make sure its not cracked. Then if the cylinders measure out ok you can hone it, clean it and set it aside. Measure the crankshaft. If its still true and no grooves just polish it out. Otherwise a crank kit with bearings is $150. New rod bolts and resize the rods. If the oem pistons are in good shape and no need to bore then just install new rings after the block is honed. I would do new cam bearings and freeze plugs as well.

Then move onto the heads. You can go to vortecs and buy a vortec tbi intake. If the block is drilled for the roller cam spider I would go with a roller cam. If its not, have it drilled and tapped for the roller cam hold down hardware. Get a cheap ramjet 350 roller cam and enjoy the torque.