The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt
Replace or Repare Damaged Radiator

I will Buy a replacement because I need the Truck ,But was wondering is there any value in the old one should I keep it ? maybe get it fixed some Time anybody fix them any more Check out the damage what do you think
gg
Attached Images

greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Replace or Repare Damaged Radiator

That looks rough! Somebody with experience chime in?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
truckdude239

At the going rate of copper my recore was priced at close to 500 buxs i ordered an aluminum from summit fkr 300 you can get a stock replacement for around 200. That one is plain done and gone

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Freddo

To repair that radiator, a shop would likely need to plug off about 15 to 20 of the damaged tubes where the fan went into them. Hard to tell from the picture if that spot in the middle where the fan went deep took out some of the second row of tubes. I've seen radiators as bad or worse than this repaired, but if you are paying a radiator shop $50-$75 per hour to do the work, it would add up fast & with a 40 year old radiator that is possibly half plugged up anyway, you may not end up with much when they are done. A recore is expensive, but many of the aluminum replacements need to be tweaked to fit, or the rubber mounts need to be removed & replaced with ? to fit.( I had to use a cut up bicycle inner tube...another guy posted that he cut off a piece of hose to pop in to the mounts. You may need to modify the mountings on your shroud as well...Just be prepared to do some surgery on the aftermarket replacements. Expensive as recoring your radiator would be, at least you could be pretty certain that it would fit.
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt

Thanks Guys I'm gonna replace just don't want to through it away or scrap it if its something I'd want later or someone else would want to restore for stock restoration project I use this truck for a driver and a business so need it reliable and running as a goal not 100% stock , anyway I'm gonna hang it up in my shed for now
thanks again
gg

oh and By the way this radiator had had the sides plugged and was holding water I never saw the damage due to the shroud, I ran it all fall & winter stayed cool ,I was getting after an oil leak along the timing cover when it was found
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Thanos

Always replace. Go aftermarket they are normally way better.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Chevy Fan Always

If the tanks are not bad I would advertise it for sale. Somebody that is doing an original resto would like them I'm sure.
Chevy Fan Always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Oh yes, good idea! Original parts can be fixed.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You're going to find that the majority of stock replacement radiators have plastic tanks. If you're OK with that, then go replacement.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Always replace? Replacement is always better? Is this April fools day? I would say the opposite is closer to fact. I would re-core that sooner than I'd replace with a blowout special piece of crap they sell today. If there is any life in those Harrison tanks at all, especially a 4-core, they need to be saved. Even if you buy a new temporary unit (let's see one of those last 40+ years), do not scrap that radiator.

That, "It's cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old", mentality has taken a turn around the next bend. You toss out good repairable stuff to replace with inferior junk these days. The new thing is (to me), "If you can afford to fix it at all, you are better off than buying new...even if it costs more".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Always replace? Replacement is always better? Is this April fools day? I would say the opposite is closer to fact. I would re-core that sooner than I'd replace with a blowout special piece of crap they sell today. If there is any life in those Harrison tanks at all, especially a 4-core, they need to be saved. Even if you buy a new temporary unit (let's see one of those last 40+ years), do not scrap that radiator.

That, "It's cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old", mentality has taken a turn around the next bend. You toss out good repairable stuff to replace with inferior junk these days. The new thing is (to me), "If you can afford to fix it at all, you are better off than buying new...even if it costs more".
+1! Be fore scoring a like new 4-core from Randy in the parts section, I made all my own repairs to the original 2-core. You'd be surprised what a little acid and some 60/40 lead/tin solder with a propane torch can seal up! I accidentally drilled a 3/8" hole right through the bottom of the tank when I reamed out the holes for a rebuilt the core support. I flattened out a piece of copper pipe and made a patch, still holdin tighter than dicks hat band! ~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
greedy geezer

Quote:

Yes I put an off the self one in for now I will hang the Chevy one in my shed with the water pump I ending up changing as well , I'll see how it works this summer and look into re coring at least get a price
gg
Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
greedy geezer

Thanks Men You have given me good advise on all sides in the situation I'm in I have taken everyone's advise and the Truck is running Good ,Chevy Radiator stashed for now its been with the truck along time I'll get it fixed in the future Right, I have a running Truck Ready for business
gg
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

why are you taking the water from the top of the water pump and have the radiator one closed off.If you have AC.It will take for ever to get heat that way.The reason why you have a hose from the radiator to your heater core cus that's how you get Heat fast.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

this is the picture of mine in my 1971 Cheyenne

Now the last 2 pictures are from a None AC truck that just runs a heater core hope you get the idea and the AC one had a Vacuum bypass valve that the one from the eng heater hose connects to
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
Shady Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Always replace. Go aftermarket they are normally way better.
The sun has yet to rise on the day when a Chinese plastic and aluminum radiator can hold a candle to an original Harrison radiator that GM installed in these trucks.

Radiator shops can work wonders on original radiators, plus you're supporting your local economy by using a radiator repair shop.

My local guy has been fixing my crap for over 20 years. It doesn't cost much and you wind up with original quality.

Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:56 AM   #17
greedy geezer

Most the Shops around Here that did Radiators are gone But I will start looking for one local
Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #18
greedy geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post

Now the last 2 pictures are from a None AC truck that just runs a heater core hope you get the idea and the AC one had a Vacuum bypass valve that the one from the eng heater hose connects to
Hmmm I just put it back the way I took it apart , Ac is not working right now on list list , I will look at how you have it set up and see what I can find out
Thanks
gg
Old 04-06-2016, 04:58 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedy geezer View Post
Yes I put an off the self one in for now I will hang the Chevy one in my shed with the water pump I ending up changing as well , I'll see how it works this summer and look into re coring at least get a price
gg
Yeah, I'm not saying I might not end up buying a replacement if I needed a radiator "like now". It's not like you pour coolant in the top and it runs out the bottom next week. In fact, one may last plenty long. But, new radiators are throw-away and old originals are rebuildable just like a QuadraJet carb. You just don't let that stuff go to scrap. If nothing else, someone will buy it if you decide it's more than you want to spend to redo.

We had Courtney's Radiator Repair right here in Mt. Airy till he retired a couple years ago. People came from all over to him. They don't make replacement radiators for everything out there. I'll have to find a new place to deal with before the need arrises.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-06-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #20
greedy geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post

Ohh yes Your Right I couldn't get the right fitting for the heater hose to the New Radiator so I pumped it this way so its okay Heat works good I will have to do some work on the AC find out why the compressor locks up when energized But not this month to many bills if this cause any problems I'll get the right fittings
thanks
gg
Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #21
Ironhorse

Just my .02 cents but to chime in. I had a leaky 3 row rad in my truck, found a 4 row with minor issues and had it repaired for the install so went that route. Sold the 3 row to a fellow truck nut who had it repaired. Flash forward several years, working on my '71 Chevelle. 4 row Harrison had some leaks but the side tanks were good. Doing the full restore on the Chevelle I did not want an aluminum/plastic radiator and decided to have the 4 row Harrison re-cored. Almost within $60 (more) than a comparable alum/plastic. Total was $475 but local shop and 1 year warranty. Did not have to contact seller via email or phone, explain, get return authorization, pull it, ship it, wait for return, down time and re-install. But then I'm a die-hard old schooler who likes keeping the originals going if at all possible.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #22
Thanos

Quote:

I buy radiators like Griffion or something aluminum large capacity and durable. I'm not sure what you assume when I say aftermarket is better however I just get 100% quality parts always.

Today I just bought commercial grade tire$ for my commercial grade rim$ Yea I never do it cheap I learned that doesn't work for me.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #23
Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
The sun has yet to rise on the day when a Chinese plastic and aluminum radiator can hold a candle to an original Harrison radiator that GM installed in these trucks.

Radiator shops can work wonders on original radiators, plus you're supporting your local economy by using a radiator repair shop.

My local guy has been fixing my crap for over 20 years. It doesn't cost much and you wind up with original quality.

"Created for racing, engineered for performance, and perfected over the last 30 years, Griffin radiators are the best in the business. Stemming from the grass roots days of circle track racing, Griffin products are 100% American made in Piedmont, South Carolina. Call us today 1-800-722-3723. "

I used one in my 87 buick GN running 10's in the quarter before I sold it years ago. Fantastic radiator ,good thing though my original one in my 72 looks brand new still.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
I buy radiators like Griffion or something aluminum large capacity and durable. I'm not sure what you assume when I say aftermarket is better however I just get 100% quality parts always.

Today I just bought commercial grade tire$ for my commercial grade rim$ Yea I never do it cheap I learned that doesn't work for me.
I didn't assume you said, "Always replace". You need to be careful when using absolutes like always. That word means absolutely every time and that is simply not true. Rebuilding a radiator is not going the cheap route, either. In fact, most people price replacement against rebuilding and go with replacement because it's cheaper.

I know all about Griffin radiators. I know the tanks are epoxied to the core, which is not repairable unless epoxy can fix it. I know it's hard to find a radiator shop willing to attempt a repair. They are brazed first, but why epoxy, too? They have been known to leak in a few years. One issue is they need to be grounded and many don't know that. Electrolysis will eat them up. Most everything is nice when it's new.

I've never been cheap when it comes to trucks, or pretty much anything. I'll do without before paying for cheap crap.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-07-2016 at 10:14 PM.