The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #26
FirstOwner69

Re: Ever Driven One?

My 69 CST is a 20, with a 350, A/C, buckets, etc. Not a 10 nor big block. I bought it new, drove it regularly to 118,713 miles and then stored it 20 plus years. I then restored it to near stock from 2010-2014 and have driven it about 500 miles since. It obviously doesn't have all the modern conveniences of today's trucks nor the capabilities of my Duramax dually, but it's a great ride... that's why I've had it almost 47 years.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #27
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My dad was a car salesman for most of my life. I think it was 67 he started work for a Chrysler Plymouth GMC dealer. I know I rode in many new GMC trucks over those years but I really have no memory of it. His demo cars were Barracudas, Road Runners assorted muscle cars. Those were what I have a memory of riding in those years.

He moved to selling only GMC's at a place that sold all of the GMC line, even the bigger more commercial trucks. I got my permit in 1974 and learned to drive in new GMC trucks. His personal demo ride at the time was a 4x4 Jimmy ... Man I loved that thing. For some reason when he brought home pick ups I had a harder time keeping those things centered in my lane lol.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I didn't like to be limiting with my question. It was my first truck and a few other BBC C/10 coil spring trucks that made me think of this. They drove like a car. The prior trucks had coils and rode nice, but add the other changes to these trucks and the pickup became as good a drive as a car of the time. I've mostly had 3/4t 4wds and 3/4t-1t 2wds. They all are a pleasure to drive with their differences adding or subtracting from the C/10. My first one was a SWB BBC '72 trade-in I bought in '73 off the OK Used Car lot. I can still envision going down the road in that truck. I love the feel only a 6cyl/3spd can give. The sound of the engine as you let the clutch out, going through the gears, and just the vision of grabbing the shift lever and working it up and down are all things I'm fond of. I had a BBC '71 Custom Deluxe Suburban and that road like a Cadillac. That reminds me, talking about driving these new, they all had bias ply tires and with bias ply on a truck the more plies the better. I remember first running radials, they were L78-15s. I thought the trucks (and cars) rode good before. Radials were such an improvement, I must say. So, I'm not even talking "all original".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 AM   #29
vics stuff

When I was 16 , I remember our next door neighbor buying and bringing home a new 1972
Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton 4X4 with the two tone red and white paint scheme. I used to always walk over and just stare at that truck. A couple of years ago my friend completed a frame off rotissori restoration on a 1972 Cheyenne Super short box 2 wheel drive factory big block truck with all the options. I had the oppertunity to drive it and it was a blast . Had lots of torque and ran quiet like a new 72 should. I see it quite often in the summer.
Now I am working on they same type of truck and hope mine turns out as nice as his did.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #30
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Someone mentioned above, but I would not dream of getting rid of the vent windows.
Agreed. Makes a great place to rest your left hand while driving with that one finger power steering! These are some fun old trucks.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

It's a classy ride for sure

For the first decade or so after cars lost their wing vents people would always comment on how nice it was that my truck had them and how they wishes they never stopped doing them in cars. Fast-forward another decade and now many people expect them gone. They never knew the benefit of them or just forgot.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #32
robs71

My father bought a 71 Cheyenne 10 new.Truck was black with white bucket interior,4 speed,350, tach,ac...had 30,000 miles on it when I drove it through high school in the eighties..i loved cruising that truck...I was bit.look back now and think how I took that ice cold air for granted on hot days.All our stories we share come down to this....these trucks run pure through our blood...Thanks Tim for this thread...see you at Carlisle
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #33
Aus69c20

I've got a 69 custom 20 with factory 396, air and pwr steer. It's mostly original and has rebuilt suspension.
I had no experience with American trucks before I got it and to be honest wasn't expecting much in terms of refinement. But have I been surprised. it handles way better than expected, rides beautifully, has good power and is really comfortable. Sure it's a bit noisier than our newer cars but I know which one I'd prefer to take for a drive.

Best of all is being able to drive 3 across the big bench with my two boys.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #34
dads longhorn

Special K, great thread thanks. I inherited my dads custom camper 1971 longhorn in 2008 and I love driving it. It's not even the top of the line but it has ps and pb , mostly original and is very comfortable and powerful. I like the bench seat too. It works great. I can't imagine it getting much better as the amenities increase. Yes I agree that it's only original once and I like them that way.
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
Alex V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
I've driven and own what special-k is talking about. I have a low mile original, a restored one and a high mile original, big blocks, all loaded out and what comes to mind is the difference between the older trucks and a newer one, anything built in the last 10 years, is the sound when driving. There is a noise, and not necessarily a bad one, in the cabin that is hard to quantify. Imagine being in a new Silverado with the windows rolled up, AC on, Bose stereo, cruise control set at 75 MPH, sitting in a nice comfortable leather seat in a cab that has miles of sound deadening insulation and was designed in a wind tunnel to eliminate wind noise. Hate to use the term, but its a pretty "sterile" environment. Rewind the clock 45 years and picture the same: air noise coming in around the windows, fan motor whining away, AM radio blasting, road/engine noise coming thru the 1/2 inch pad under the carpet and a fairly high coefficient of drag working against you the faster you drove and that's a recipe for a relatively speaking, austere kind of experience. That's what driving one is like, you just "experience" it more.

And when I redo an old truck and put it back together, I never add any sound deadening material...if they came like that from the factory, then that's how they're going back together. I have newer vehicles, so I don't bother trying to change an older one into a newer one. Owning an old truck is like a long marriage, there's times you wish your wife would change and you try to "update" her, but in the end, you're kind of glad she didn't change and you still have the old girl, warts and all. That's so poetic, I think I'm going to shed a tear!!!
Ditto on all that! Once any extensive changes are made, it's no longer representative of what it was built as - to some degree, small or large, it's a mutt that in some way or another fails to represent what it was engineered to be. There are cool "resto-mods" out there and I can't knock anyone for upgrading a vehicle to perform a specific purpose, but the more mods are done the more said vehicle can only be compared to the real definition of its model - the foundation of its reputation - by VIN number and styling cues.

A nice hot LS engine may be a pretty formidable powerplant, but it can never speak the same language or represent a '67 Corvette like a tri-carb, 10.25:1 427 can. Just sayin'.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #36
j_cst_10

I was born in '85 so I haven't had a chance to drive an original. However I have owned 3 of these trucks and countless other old cars and trucks (I think my number is around 20 so far and climbing).

Standard procedure has become rebuilding the front end on everything I buy and replacing the rear brakes (judging by the vehicles I have rode in, drove, or bought I may be one of only 8 people that does this).

What I will say is that nice old stuff with a fresh suspension rebuild, decent brakes, and a new set of weather stripping is a blast to drive. Some memorable cars and trucks for me are

-My uncles 454 1970 Monte Carlo. I would credit this car for my old vehicle disease
-My dads 1970 Buick GS 350. If I could buy a new car with that kind of torque curve right in the meat of the driving range I would in a heart beat.
-my old 1970 C10 - drove like crap due to being abused it's whole life but got me hooked on these trucks
-My 1990 Dodge D250 cummins/5spd - New in terms of year made, old in every other sense. vent windows, loud, and a little crude but a blast to drive.

I could go on an on with old car memorable moments (like cruising around in my friends '77 New Yorker with a 440 in highschool, or my '75 Cordoba with an HP400) but that might get a little off topic.
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #37
joecaruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post

Here is one I restored. I'll never forget that first drive across the lake on a long bridge. ZZ4 engine, automatic. The black Cheyenne Super with the 402 3OTT(converted to floor) was mechanically perfect, but looked rough. It was my all time favorite.

The 250 3OTT truck I have now, almost gives me the same joy.

Here is the black truck under the hood:
Your one of the only other board members Ive talked to with a 402 and 3OTT. Something you dont see all to often.
joecaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #38
summitflier

The very first (non-farm type) vehicle I ever drove on the street was a 70 c10.
It was only five years old at the time. A "new" truck to me. Obviously they are/were
good trucks. Nothing wrong with stock. Go with what you like, and what you can afford.

Upgrades are optional. I've added almost everything. Different brakes, suspension, steering, drive-line, etc... nothing wrong with the old stuff. But nothing wrong with
making it little more modern, convenient, comfortable, better handling, better stopping,
more powerful, ... either.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #39
doo142

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitflier View Post
It was only five years old at the time. A "new" truck to me. Obviously they are/were
good trucks. Nothing wrong with stock. Go with what you like, and what you can afford.

Upgrades are optional. I've added almost everything. Different brakes, suspension, steering, drive-line, etc... nothing wrong with the old stuff. But nothing wrong with
making it little more modern, convenient, comfortable, better handling, better stopping,
Right on!! I love them all. I covered most of my moods with a couple stockers, a BB 6 speed sittin low, and a napco tank. I'll stop dead in my tracks on the busiest of work days to look at a rust bucket!! All good to me!!!
67 Chevy Napco c30 Dump
56 GMC Napco 4x4 short step
66 Chevy K10
68 Chevy C/30 4x4
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #40
Coley

Lets see....I drove a really nice original '72 Big Block/swb/a/c truck that I purchased 20 years ago....loved the torque.
All the rest of my trucks (66, 70, 2-72's) have been pretty much original and in pretty good condition so I figure they don't drive too differently from a new driver of that era.
When I went looking for my first '72 (Texas truck/very original highlander) I happened across another of the same colour '72 on the way to the viewing appointment...what are the odds of that?...I thought I had messed up by 5+ miles on my directions...lol.
Anyways...it too was an a/c truck from down south but the 350 had been pretty seriously pumped with about an extra 100+ hp.....took it for a test drive....loved that additional power!!....that truck would really light up when you stepped on that pedal.
Regardless, I bought the (other) all original '72 highlander because motor/power aside....I really wanted something that had not been messed with and I never regretted that decision....unfortunately that great truck was stolen.
Interestingly I drive a newer vehicle and I drive my '72 and I don't get too carried away with all the hype regarding the new technology even tho' I appreciate it.
I never feel like I'm driving some sort of weird, antique tractor...my '72 drives straight, starts quick, runs well, brakes well...is comfortable....no worries, all good.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #41
1968vetL-71

I didn’t get the chance too grow up in the era these were being produced or sold new. I turned 16 in the summer of 91’. My first truck i bought was a 72 cst blazer 4x4. Enjoyed the crap out of that thing. Nothing like the wind blowing through your hair with the top off in the warm summer. My next truck was a 65’ 4x4 1/2 ton 4x4. Learned too drive a clutch on that ol girl. All of my friends in high school were asking for newer cars and trucks but i felt the happiest when i was driving my old junk! Some of the best parties we ever had was driving multiple 4x4’s down the river banks and across the sand bars. My 65 suburban 4x4 at the time was the truck that was unstoppable. The ol 6cyl didn’t have the nuts too spin the tires too get me buried! And when everyone else got stuck, i had a 12,000 pto winch on the front that provided the grunt to do the job. Everyone loved that thing! Since then, I’ve driven and owned 66-72 4x4 pickups, blazers, and suburbans. From 2wd 402 sub’s too 15” lift suburbans on 2-1/2 ton military axles and 44’s. I would’t trade those times and memories for anything. Sure most had the typical rusty rockers and such but that never bothered me. Theres nothing like getting thumbs up and stares from everyone that passes you by. The sound of that Big Block rumble through the exhaust! Or when people look at you crazy in the summer time cause your windows are rolled up, and you get to tell them... (Yes, the AC works!!). I enjoy my newer crew cab 4x4 with every creature comfort option available, but as soon as a couple of my other builds are done, Its going bye bye!! My wife might complain but she knows i’m happiest when i get too spend time with my old rides. I will always continue to buy, sell, drive and restore these old rigs till the day i die. Every year, body style and options keep me wanting more and more every day!! My shop is running out of room! LOL

Thanks Special-K for the trip down memory lane!!!!!
1968 belair 2door post #s 427/385
1936 ford 5w coupe dads 1st car
1969 camaro ss (17,xxx) miles

Wanted: 69-72 suburban project, 69 camaro convertible. also any big block cars. 69-70 gto judge project.
1968vetL-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #42
CABLESCUM

Since I was a kid, I've had a '69, '73, '80, '81...and now the '72 GMC

My first car was a '68 SS396 Chevele when I was 15. I knew I'd die, so I sold it.

As far as the ride, I like 'em dropped...they handle better.

My GMC is a a Shortbed/Stepside with an original 402(punched out 396)...TH400/12 bolt rear. The same basic drive train as the Chevelle.

With a little work it'll be faster than the Chevelle, it goes sideways real easy right now...but it needs the rectangle port heads and a blue bottle to be scary
................................................................................
MY SONS TRUCK: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=812054
CABLESCUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitflier View Post

That's a good perspective on all this.

Tim

Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #44
Coley

One of the things that I increasingly like about mine is that is doesn't have any German software in it and also no one can signal/beep the doors and trunk open with their own homemade remote....lol.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #45
old Chevy guy

Smile Re: Ever Driven One?

Cool thread topic. The closest I ever got to driving on of these "new" was in about 1981 my Dads cousin who was also a neighbor had a still original 71 C20 custom. 250 six cylinder with the 3 on the tree. I had my license but my car was a 65 bug and was broken a lot. Ken (our cousin)was an ironworker and had a company truck to drive so the Chevy was around most of the time. He let me drive it as long as I left gas in when I was done. It was sure nothing special but at the same time it was you know? I was so happy getting to drive that truck around . She drove great ,handled great ,ran great except that 3 speed on the column would get jammed up between 1st and second sometimes. I felt like a million driving that truck around. He sold it that same year and I wanted to buy it so bad, it went for only $800, which was a lot more money in 81 especially when your in the 11th grade. I've had a lot of Chevys since , cars and trucks. That's where I came up with my Handle, I'm that "old Chevy" guy. My current Project is a 71 C20 that has been sporting a flat bed dump for about 15 years. started as a $500 beater pickup that I took on a bad debt. Was going to flip for a few bucks but it drove and ran so sweet I kept it for a work horse. Bought the dump hoist for $150 off a former employee and worked her harder. I started fixing her up just to keep her on the road but as these thing often do, things got carried away. Now she's almost in mint condition and I haven't gotten to drive her further than out on to the garage apron . I want to get it all done before she goes back to work cause I know it wont get done after. So I'm anxiously waiting to drive a freshly restored truck but haven't yet. I wont lie , even though I know she will be so much better I m worried it wont be everything I'm imagining. Here's a shot from a few years ago in all her ragged glory getting the snot worked out of her (that's about 3 + tons of gravel in there) and then A shot from a few weeks ago as close to new as she likely to ever get again. She's not a C10 or a big block but she's as fresh as a daisy in Springtime.
Attached Images

old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #46
gvw5400

+1 and you can't even lock your keys in the truck! All of that without a OnStar satellite
up link.
All the best, Dirk
gvw5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #47
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Great thread! I don't get to this part of the forum enough, mainly because it's so busy that I lose track of whats going on!

I've not driven the highly optioned ones but have been driving trucks of this era all my life. I got my first drivers license in 1971 in my Mom's drum brake 4x4 1970 GMC Jimmy (still have the truck) It hasn't been back on the road in a long time, making a push to get it running again now.

We got a "new" camper for the 1972 C2500 last year. We have been driving it since 1979.

We also have the '55 GMC and my wife and I have a great time driving it with drum brakes, armstrong steering, SM420 4 speed.

Our deal is that we like them to take us to '55, 70, and '72 so updating them with the modern technology and conveniences isn't what it's about for us. I definitely enjoy reading the articles from the folks that do the alterations, lots of education there.

First pic is 2001 when I got the Jimmy from Mom after she had driven it for 30 years. It has been a project since 2005.

Second pic is the "new" 1972 camper on our '72 C2500. Been hauling stuff with this truck for 37 years.

I recently posted pics of the '55 so I won't hi-jack the thread to that era trucks.

DAC
Attached Images

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote