The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
The Dude

4x4 stance question

i know practically all of you guys are lowered truck fans but i figured i would still ask your opinion anyway. my problem is that my stock shackles are grinding away at the collectors of my long tube headers. i figured there are 2 ways to fix this:
1) buy new headers like shorties or something and get my exhaust redone or
2) buy 1 1/2 - 2 in lift shackels for the front. with these the truck would have a little bit of the "cali ass squatin" look that is so popular 12in lift up front and 10in lift out back. i dont want to level it out with block because i hate lift blocks, so it would just sit front high.
so then i guess my question is do you think the truck would look dumb like that, i like the look but have never seen it done on a 73-87 truck or any truck with front leaf springs for that matter. thanks for your opinions.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

you could always do it, find out exactly how much lower the rear sits than the front, and block it accordingly. 4wd trucks typically develop what a lot of guys refer to as saggy butt syndrome. the rear sits lower than the front stock. if you're 2" low in the rear now, you could do the shackles up front, and then do a shackle flip in the rear, which would give you 4" of lift, and level the truck out.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

whatever you do, never, ever, EVER run blocks in the front!!!!!!!! That is like playing Russian Roulette. If they shift, you coule lose control of the truck. I have seen it happen. Not pretty.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:23 AM   #4
soleeagle

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonboy
whatever you do, never, ever, EVER run blocks in the front!!!!!!!! That is like playing Russian Roulette. If they shift, you coule lose control of the truck. I have seen it happen. Not pretty.

I agree. When I bought my truck it had blocks in the front and that was one of the first thinks I fixed. Took out those 2 inch blockes and put in a six inch lift.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:39 AM   #5
The Dude

im going to put lift shackles in the front, no blocks, i hate blocks, i wont even run them in the rear.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:53 AM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

why do you hate blocks?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:11 AM   #7
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Blocks in the rear are fine 95% of the time, especially if you only drive on the road.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
The Dude

i dont like blocks becasue my friend had some on his jimmy, and when we went to put some lifted springs on we discovered that they were cracked and falling apart. i would hate to see what would have happened if he kept driving it that way. i also cant stand the look of truck with like a 4 or 6 inh lift block in the rear, and the axle wrap that comes with them. i guess a 1 or 2 in block out back could be ok.

anyways putting a lift block up front would not solve my problem with the headers, only a lift shackle will fix it.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
BowTieMan

Put some add a leafs in the rear to leavel it out.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:38 AM   #10
conoverbandit

Hello,
I had the exact same problem after I installed my new dynomax hedders, they rubbed like crazy almost to the point the d-line rubbed a hole in the hedder tube.My solution was a 4in. lift kit, and yes it has blocks but like was posted earlier you can do a shackle flip on the rear and get the same height. This solved the problem of the rubbing, I got my lift kit on e-bay from rough country $350. to my door, pretty much a complete kit.Hope this helps.
87 Crew Cab 2x 454
93 chevy hi top conversion
conoverbandit is offline   Reply With Quote