The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
CT-Truckster
?

I broke something!

GROUND!!!! on my very own 20x30 backyard shop. I can't wait to get it finished. trying to get some dirt hauled in and a little dirtwork done for a concrete drive or at least a pad in front of where my door's gonna be, but its rained all week. poured the slab a week ago.

CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Lynx

looks good, how thick is that slab?

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
7T7
Regular guy

I see you're already parking things in the new shop.
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

NICE. Im so jealous. Are you going to frame walls or ??? What are the plans for the finished product

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Lookin good. A man and his shop, it's a beautiful thing.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #6
1972C10
Account Suspended

You doing to use metal framing on that ?>

Depinding on lumber prices it may be as much or cheaper than wood framed.

Not to mention alot sturdier
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1972C10
You doing to use metal framing on that ?>

Depinding on lumber prices it may be as much or cheaper than wood framed.

Not to mention alot sturdier
If termites aren't a problem there, I would go with wood. In another two weeks, metal framing mtrls. are due to increase by 75%...at least here. The general contractor that I sub under is crying the blues already.
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
gldevall

Lucky dog. Looks good.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
1972C10
Account Suspended

Dang 75%? That sucks We havent had much of a flucuation here but im sure it will i know scrap iron has been going up.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:34 PM   #10
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Materials might be a little cheaper but I think if you look at the big picture, wood framing will ultimately be cheaper. Being a carpenter, I wouldnt touch metal framing with a 10 foot pole. But I would come out and have that whole garage built in a weekend with one person's help, if it were all wood. How much is someone who is experienced in steel framing going to cost? How long is it going to take him and what kind of specialty tools is he going to need? You like screwing self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach plywood/shear panel/siding etc? Ugh. Not me. The first time I sliced my hand open on a sharp edge would put me OVER the edge

That is not to say that if I was building a multi (in the dozens or hundreds) unit housing tract or something, that I wouldnt consider metal framing as a cheaper alternative. I think for something this small, you're better off with wood. Thats just my opinion though.

I also assume that this isnt an engineered structure? What kind of roof are you going to put on it? Trusses or are you going to cut a conventional roof? Either way I dont think you can do it with steel. So you're looking at JUST doing the walls in steel studs. I wouldnt do it. 2x4 or 2x6 walls with 2x6 ceiling joist & rafters would be perfect.

Keep us posted

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:43 PM   #11
1972C10
Account Suspended

Metal framing is alot quicker IMO

For garage im not talkin about using sheetmetal studs like in schools set 16" apart im talkin about sheet metal perlins depending on wall hieght one at the bottom one at the top and one in the middle running longways Only way to go for a full steel building.

Only really special tools we use are a chop saw wich a skill saw with a carbide blade would work . We weld the perlins in alot of people use screws for the ease of not having to weld stuff but its all about the same .

Looks like its going to be a nice shop good luck on wich ever framing method you choose and post some more pics.!@
Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #12
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1972C10
Metal framing is alot quicker IMO

For garage im not talkin about using sheetmetal studs like in schools set 16" apart im talkin about sheet metal perlins depending on wall hieght one at the bottom one at the top and one in the middle running longways Only way to go for a full steel building.

Only really special tools we use are a chop saw wich a skill saw with a carbide blade would work . We weld the perlins in alot of people use screws for the ease of not having to weld stuff but its all about the same .

Looks like its going to be a nice shop good luck on wich ever framing method you choose and post some more pics.!@
Yes, metal framing is much quicker. Framing steel buildings and carports is what I do most. Everything is welded, using different sizes of c-purlin (according to it's purpose). It goes much faster, because the c-purlin is much stronger and can be spaced quite a lot farther apart than either wood studs or sheetmetal studs. I usually frame a building by planting 4by4 square tubing, vertically, at pre-determined locations around the perimeter, then bridging the gap with c-purlin. Also, steel truses is something I build quite often. Usually out of 1 1/2 inch square tubing (or larger)...all welded with wire welder, or course. Far stronger than wood and termites can't eat it!
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
method2mymadnes

looks outta square to me
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I have worked with both. I am a Carpenter too. My last job, started off building houses, big homes. He ended up getting into commercial stuff, doctor offices, medical building, etc. I hated every minute of it. Concrete and steel. Yuck.

Steel studs were what we did. They have different grades for structural and non structural framing. My shop is wood, but I think if I ever was to build another one, it may just be steel studs. As stated, no termites to worry about, no rot, warping, crooked studs, etc. With the proper screw gun, it's not slow to put them up either.

But, I know where Mike is coming from. He sounds like me. I would much rather use a nail gun in wood than to mess with damn screws.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:10 AM   #15
CT-Truckster
?

it has a turn down around the edge and was formed with 2x10's. since I also work in construction I thought long and hard about what type of building to put up, wood or metal and whatever. for starters since i do carpentry and construction i like to do other things when I get home, Kinda like the mechanic, he works on cars all day long and thats the last thing he wants to do when he gets home. since I have the money I am paying someone else to do it(part of it anyway) even though I might save money by putting it up myself. Cost was a consideration, along with upkeep, looks and whatever. I am having one those portable carport type buildings put up with 9' to the first bend, 2x3 tubing every 4' and metal to the ground on both sides. I am going to frame the ends up myself and put vinyl siding on those. It will be easy to keep up, no shingles to worry about. I will have plenty of ceiling heigth in the ridge with out having ceiling joists to worry about I will insulate it foam insulation. No matter what anybody says this will be a very strong building, short of a direct hit from a tornado, should be relatively easy to heat and cool, and will suit my needs just fine and be a nice looking building. My dad has one like this and i like it so Thats what I'm going with. I got about $1,350 in the slab and all said and done I'll have less than 4500 bucks in it, ready for electrical and plumbing. I'll post some more pics as the progress continues, they're supposed to start on it the week of the 15th.
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:49 AM   #16
apstguy
LED King

My grandpa's shop that he just built is about 1700 square feet. Just slightly smaller than the house (If it was bigger than the house it would be deemed a commercial building and would have had 8X the taxes not to mention other problems. He did it entirely from metal. Turned out well. He finished it in 3 weekend - playing golf each morning. He of course had help, but he put the outer skin on it in a couple hours by himself. One thing I have learned, roll up doors aren't cheap! He had 3 of them!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote