The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
72.4me

front bumper repair

Hi,
My front bumper is Pretty decent accept For a dent that is about 3inches long,so my question is can it be repaired or is it toast..thanks Sorry it's upside down
Attached Images

72.4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
geunther

Re: front bumper repair

Easier to see this way
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
cleszkie

Definitely fixable. There was a thread on here a while back with a guy who had a bumper in way worse shape than yours straightened out and re-chromed. That looks like a prime candidate for fixing and not tossing in my opinion.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
72.4me

Thanks..how is it done? Heat and a big hammer? I would like to give it a go myself.
72.4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Gmc.guy

Try taking the bumper off. It might have a tweak that springs once it's unbolted but it doesn't look too bad. Try flipping upside down on wood and use a chunk of 2x4 and a hammer to try flattening it back. I usually try to make them look a bit better before I buy new. If you can't get it perfect you might be able to get it better until you find a perfect one
Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
treveiger

2x4s and a 10lb hammer works well for things like this. Take your time and don't over hit it. I've straighten rims like that.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

A bumper dent it that area came from pressure on one of the outside ends , loosen (just enough to allow movement ) the outside bumper brackets from the frame (not the bumper) and use a floor jack with a 2x4 placed on end to gently persuade it back in line , no need to remove the bumper or use any heat (heat will turn the chrome blue) it can be fixed using slow pressure , NOT hammers ! It's less expensive to buy a new bumper than to have one rechromed . A picture of the whole bumper will show the complete story of how it was bent .From your pictures it looks like the right side was pushed in . The easy way to understand bumper dents and how to fix them is to use a 12 X3 " piece of card board fold 1" Length wise at a 90 degree angle then place your thumbs about 4" apart from the back , slowly pull the ends back towards yourself and you will see the same results of where the bend is in relationship to where you applied pressure , exactly where yours is bent . 30 minute fix . A couple wrenches , a floor jack and a 14" piece of 2x4 , total cost $ 0.00
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 04-14-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote