The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
vettedad61

fuel and temp gauge not working, melted wire on printed circuit board

on my 1972 C10 it has factory gauges and tachometer.

1) when I bought the truck the printed circuit had a melted wire that serves the fuel and temp gauge.

2) I recently did a full restoration of the entire truck, I bought a brand new factory correct harness, new printed circuit board for the gauge cluster, new temp sending unit, new fuel sending unit, etc. the gauges were not replaced.

3) the same wire on the printed circuit behind the cluster melted that serves the fuel and temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me why? or what steps I need to take to fix this?

Thank you!
vettedad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: fuel and temp gauge not working, melted wire on printed circuit board

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettedad61 View Post
on my 1972 C10 it has factory gauges and tachometer.

1) when I bought the truck the printed circuit had a melted wire that serves the fuel and temp gauge.

2) I recently did a full restoration of the entire truck, I bought a brand new factory correct harness, new printed circuit board for the gauge cluster, new temp sending unit, new fuel sending unit, etc. the gauges were not replaced.

3) the same wire on the printed circuit behind the cluster melted that serves the fuel and temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me why? or what steps I need to take to fix this?

Thank you!

Check the pink wire on the cluster plug for overheat, it is on pin 3. This is very curious because the cluster panel is protected by the 3 amp fuse in the fuse panel labeled .Cluster PNL, Is that fuse blown. if so your fuel and temp gauges should not be working. If the fuel gauge is working and the temp gauge isn't then the temp gauge is grounded or drawing too much current.
That small strip is very fragile and could burn up easily. You can fix it easily by running a small gauge wire between the cluster plug or the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge, but not until you find the short.

Here's a picture of the cluster wiring.

Name:  guage wiring.jpg
Views: 2874
Size:  42.1 KB

You'll notice the purple wire (copper strip) from the cluster plug feeds the fuel gauge the brake warning light, the temp light (not used on gauge clusters) and the temperature gauge. The brake warning light may also be grounded and frying the copper strip. Does it work with the key on?

you'll need to check the temperature gauge with a multimeter for a short to the gauge body.

Name:  temp gauge.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  79.6 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Gromit

Could it have been from using one of those remote starter switches without first turning the ignition key to the run position? (that is just a guess - others here will know for sure)..
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
vettedad61

Thanks for the info... I will check it out this weekend and let you know what I find!
vettedad61 is offline   Reply With Quote