The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
BigRed

Truck shakes. Any Ideas?

After I replaced my front and rear brakes, my truck has been shaking. It did not do it before I replaced the brakes. It's noticeable on the freeway and on hard stops.

I had both the rotors and the drums turned and they are good. The tires haven't changed, however I did rotate them. While I was doing the front end, I replaced the front inner and outter bearings along with the races.

What worries me is that I didn't get the rotor on tight enough. I remember the torque specs for the castle nut being real low. It said to torque it, loosen until it can be turned by hand and then tighten it by hand. If the castle nuts aren't torqued enough, could this cause that?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by BigRed; 03-08-2004 at 12:54 AM.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #2
DOOBZ

When u torque the rotor u should be spining the rotor as u torque it, even when you hand tighten it u should be spining the rotor. What i would do is jack it up under the control arm and try to wiggle the tire up and down and see if it moves, If your ball joints are good u should feel very little to no movement. If thats all ok, maybe one of your rear tires have a bulg or are out of balance and you couldnt feel it till it was put on the front when u rotated tires. Hope this helps.....
Old 03-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
BigRed

I did rotate the rotor as I was torquing. I'm sure my front-end compoenents are going bad. I'll check the ball joints as you suggested. I'll also check the tires, however I'm pretty sure they're fine.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
rolson1039

I have never torqued down a rotor in my life. you take the regular nut and get it hand tight and once ya get there take a water pump pliers and tighten it maybe a quarter turn just so when ya stick the castellated nut over the regular nut you can pass the cotter pin through it. If you overtighten the rotor or drum on the front when it gts hot it will cause a violent vibration trust me ive been there
If you cut the rotors and therye the cheap ones when you cut tem they will warp regardless of how much meat is left on em thats why ya never buy rotors from one of the chains that sell rotors for $19.99 each youre much better off buying the "real parts"
Being youre on this board im sure your truck doesnt have ABS but ive heard of vehicles with ABS having vibrations after a brake job if you didnt disconnect the ABS sensor prior to compressing the calipers
If all of the above doesnt work id throw the tires on a balancer and that will tell you if its a tire and id go over the front end real well If this vibration just popped up tho id tend to say its something you did in your brake job
double check all your shoes and calipers are on right too