The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Derek.Matirne

Bed floor options

Ok guys, I am in need of some help.... The floor in the bed of my truck needs some help, it has a plywood floor with diamond plated metal on top of it, which I do not like, because the wood has rotted out, and I am not in favor of a wood bed neither..... It will get a spray in bed liner, so I don't really care what materials is on the floor, but I don't want it rotting out from under the bed liner.... Do you guys have any ideas, or seen anything that is strong and long lasting? Thanks
Derek.Matirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Bed floor options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek.Matirne View Post
Ok guys, I am in need of some help.... The floor in the bed of my truck needs some help, it has a plywood floor with diamond plated metal on top of it, which I do not like, because the wood has rotted out, and I am not in favor of a wood bed neither..... It will get a spray in bed liner, so I don't really care what materials is on the floor, but I don't want it rotting out from under the bed liner.... Do you guys have any ideas, or seen anything that is strong and long lasting? Thanks
When I faced this same issue last year I cut the floor out of a 73-87 square body truck which are readily available. pulled all the rotten wood out of my bed and welded in the new bed floor. Had it covered with spray in liner. Looks great and will last even with use.
Check out "Meet Homer" in the projects and builds and you will see the process I did.
Just how I did it. Not saying it's right, wrong, or the only way, just how I did it.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Derek.Matirne

Thanks.... I did consider doing that, but around here it is hard to find a good bed floor.... They have them in the yards, but I would have to buy the whole bed, and I don't have a way to get it home.....
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Derek.Matirne

where does one find the projects build?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Here is what my dad did to what is now my truck.

He had the wooden bed too, which rotted out by the 1980's.

He removed the wood (although it appears there is undercoated plywood underneath). He got a hold of 1/8 inch flat steel from the coal mine where he worked (they were pretty free with left-over materials) and he cut that to size and welded it onto the three bed sides and bottom. He didn't weld to the truck frame, he bolted that in, removed the bolt heads, plug welded the bolts to the new bed bottom, ground down the welds smooth, and painted everything.

My bed is seamless! *The welds look great!* Dad tells me the bed can be removed via jacks as "he's done it before, by himself," [after finishing the work.] So there is one option.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Lou Boffa

I used Trex decking, milled the pieces to replicate the original boards then used new strips. Sturdy--bullet proof to the Texas weather. Just wash it down and it looks like the day I installed it.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek.Matirne View Post
where does one find the projects build?
the first thing you see when you look at the 67-72 message board is the projects and builds,click on it
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Mmorgan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Boffa View Post
I used Trex decking, milled the pieces to replicate the original boards then used new strips. Sturdy--bullet proof to the Texas weather. Just wash it down and it looks like the day I installed it.
That is a good idea! How much did the wood cost if u don't mind me asking and also was it hard to cut it and cut the channels for the strips?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
That is very nice. If I ever redo a bed floor I will consider this.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Lou Boffa

I got the Trex from Home Depot on a close out for about $200. Its easy to mill with a stacking dado blade and a table saw. The pieces are long so it helps to have a helper to hold the boards against the table saw rail. Take 2 passes for a nice clean cut. You can get the board profile from Mar-K or GMC Pauls website.
Trex decking is slightly thicker than the stock boards so you will need to get your bolts seperately (and cheaper.) All in all makes for a solid, useable truck bed.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Mmorgan32

Quote:
I got the Trex from Home Depot on a close out for about $200. Its easy to mill with a stacking dado blade and a table saw. The pieces are long so it helps to have a helper to hold the boards against the table saw rail. Take 2 passes for a nice clean cut. You can get the board profile from Mar-K or GMC Pauls website.
Trex decking is slightly thicker than the stock boards so you will need to get your bolts seperately (and cheaper.) All in all makes for a solid, useable truck bed.
Thanks man that sounds like it would be perfect for my bed.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
Derek.Matirne

Lou, that looks great, thanks for the helpful idea....