The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Nevada51

8 lug steel wheel replacement options?

I'm looking at options to replace widowmaker split rims on a 62 C20. Happy to keep 8 lug (well, kinda!), and want a 16" stock look but without the split rim issues.

I know a 16x5 rim with a .44" offset (6 lug) was one option on c10's, so the nearest thing I can find (in 8 lug) are the options below (all 6" width and all with 4" backspacing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-8-LUG-S...BV5yag&vxp=mtr

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=711

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels...ack-8-lug.html

My questions are:
1) Does anyone see any issues with any of the above options (scrubbing, hubcap fitment, etc), or does anyone have any other suggestions for 16x5" 8 lug single-piece wheels that would suit?
2) I'm not sure how to compare the 0.44" offset on a 5" wheel and a 4" backspacing on a 6" rim? More wheel on the outer face or behind?
3) The Coker Tire website says 650x16 bias ply requires a 4.5" to 5" rim, so will I run into a problem with a 6" rim (I know this is probably a question for Coker, but thought someone here may have experience with this).

Interestingly the wheels on it now are 15" split rims and I suspect they're early good n' proper widowmakers.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cam
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: 8 lug steel wheel replacement options?

I can't answer your backspacing and tire fitment questions specifically, but I can tell you that the stock 16" 8 lug rims from my '76 GMC 4x4 fit my '66 C20 just fine. Backspacing is perfect and they look stock. So if you can look up the dimensions for those stock '76 rims and compare them to the dimensions of the rims in your links, that should provide you the info you need.

As far as I know, Ford and Dodge 8 lug rims use the same bolt pattern, but I'm not positive the center hole is the same size as Chevy.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
andyh1956

I put the aluminum rims offa my '02 2500 on my '94 2500 and they fit fine. So I put the rims offa the '94 on my buds '66 C20 & they fit fine also. Since all the rims had similar backspace I don't see why a set of aluminum 2500 rims from the '02 era trucks wouldn't work on the '65 era truck & would look great. Whole sets are available for $300-$400 range in nice condition.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
BigSix

I have a set of those Wheel Vintiques in 16x8 8 lug on my truck. There are pluses and minuses. They are welded 8 lug rims - so no leaky/rusty rivets like OEM stock 8 lug wheels. The outer ring is 1 piece and the center welded in - so its like steel wheels with leak free alloy characteristics. The only negative is that I don't think the backspacing is correct. I prefer a narrow look and I believe the Wheel Vintiques are spaced out about 1/2" too far. I am not certain but I believe so. I believe we need 4.5" backspacing and the stock is 4" but don't quote my figures there...going off memory. With that said - I haven't had any issues with mine. They look stock. And they are tough. I will probably getting a new set in 16x7 which should look better with my 315/75-16 tires.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Nevada51

Thanks for the responses. ^^ That's my concern about the slightly wider wheels, ie I prefer a stock narrow look too and don't like the wheels to look more 'deep dish' than what the stocks ones are.

Not sure if I'm thinking about it the right way, but to me a 0.44" offset on a 5" rim would put the backspacing at 2.94", and therefore approx 2" facing from the wheel mount surface. A 4" offset on a 6" rim puts the facing at around 2" as well. So in theory the wheel 'outer' should look the same as a stock rim, but the extra inch of the newer rims is to the inside of the truck. Hopefully that makes sense. Can anyone confirm whether that's about right, or am I taking the offset the wrong way??

BigSix, do you think if yours were 16x6 rather than 16x8, the spacing would look more stock?
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
BigSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
Thanks for the responses. ^^ That's my concern about the slightly wider wheels, ie I prefer a stock narrow look too and don't like the wheels to look more 'deep dish' than what the stocks ones are.

Not sure if I'm thinking about it the right way, but to me a 0.44" offset on a 5" rim would put the backspacing at 2.94", and therefore approx 2" facing from the wheel mount surface. A 4" offset on a 6" rim puts the facing at around 2" as well. So in theory the wheel 'outer' should look the same as a stock rim, but the extra inch of the newer rims is to the inside of the truck. Hopefully that makes sense. Can anyone confirm whether that's about right, or am I taking the offset the wrong way??

BigSix, do you think if yours were 16x6 rather than 16x8, the spacing would look more stock?
My 16x8 look pretty close to what I think the factory 17.5 would have looked but 16x6 would probably not change the back spacing. I think they are all 4" from wheel vintiques. It's worth calling them because they do custom make backspacing.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote