The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Who's right summit racing or me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Did you have the part for longer than 90 days?

http://www.summitracing.com/customerservice/faqs

If not, that goes against their un-used return policy:
The key word is "un-used". He said he installed it before realizing it had a different fan hub bolt pattern. Having said that, I think a 50% restocking fee is pretty ridiculous.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

It wasn't used. It never spun a single rev. It was installed based on the assumption that Summit listed the correct part for the truck. It wasn't until the next step, installing pulley/fan that one would realize the company that sells the part doesn't know what they are doing.

I would never mail order such a part. I guess I'm lucky. My NAPA store has countermen who know their business. The same three guys have been there for over 10 years and they are all in their 40s or later, except the manage who we have pretty well trained after 10 or more years. There counter guys (more like 20 years) and knowledgeable customers set him straight at first, but he has come around to being very good at what he does. If you try to ask Tom (oldest) a mechanical question he'll tell you, "I'm not a mechanic", but you tell him what you need and you will walk out with the right part. They take very good care of me and I am not a significant account at all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
70STOVEBOLT

I am not sticking up for Summit or any other company, but un-used and un-installed are considered the same thing. I have been a parts man for a heavy duty diesel engine rebuilder for the past 27 years (we also sell parts over the counter), so I see both sides. We have taken parts back when a customer "self-applicates" a part and finds out it was wrong after installing, but will charge a 10-15% "restocking fee" since the part is no longer technically new and the gaskets (if required) will need replaced. I have also taken back parts that were uninstalled and not charged a fee if the part was on the shelf. Having said that, I almost always look up my own parts on a company's website first and then go in and give them a part number for what I want if it's a local place. Rarely have I gotten the wrong part, unless the "parts catalog" was incorrect, as in this case. The only time I don't look up my own parts is when I deal with my local NAPA store. Like the guys at Tim's store, they have all been there for a long time, and they are familiar with the parts they are selling for older cars and trucks. The big box store counter people will always ask for the application, engine size, etc because that is how their computer systems are driven, and they usually are not familiar with older vehicles.
Finally, online parts catalogs are not guaranteed to be correct. If you read the fine print most of them have a disclaimer stating such.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear