The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
muddpile

Room under dash??

Has anyone ever fit a CD deck in the stock location in a cut dash, a pair of 4" speakers in the stock single speaker location, and an air conditioning duct between the two? Seems like a tight fit, but I also haven't taken anything apart to look yet. Vintage air will be the air system. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The modern CD players are way smaller than stock ones..onless you are talking a late model factory Delco unit...
I can't speak for the speakers, however, i would suspect it would clear the back of the vent assembly by being far enough forward.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
djracer

I don't think you should have a problem!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #4
rauto13
saving one more

I have a 72 with factory air, I put a CD player in the dashfactory opening, two 4" speakers in the center opening in a custom made bracket & also fit the factory center vent in the dash. It was a very tight fit, and required changing the bolts on the dash vent to countersunk screws, and the whole thing would only go back together one way. I probably have about an 1/8" clearance between the speakers and the center vent.

It can be done, takes some work, and a lot of measuring and trial fitting.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
tattoo
"Bondo, just say no!"

mounting your speakers under a grill from the top will obviously give you tons of room but then you have to cut your dash(downside). You could always get rid of the a/c for better sound and performance..lol.. put a eq in the middle air vent with tweeters in the side vents 6" inch in the doors two tens behind the seat, changer in the glove box with plenty of room to still add more from there. as far as your 4" or 3"middle spkrs go for clearance, different brands carry diff specs just go to your neighbourhood shop and start checking the depths,high range speakers do not need to be as good of a quality as the receivers producing the sound so buy better head units and find cheaper smaller thinner speakers.

69 C-10 SWB Stepside (ground up resto in progress)
86 Yugo
69 Honda pc50 moped
see my work @ http://www.myspace.com/inkorperated
free site for pics
tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #6
muddpile

I think I'll give it a try when the time comes. Thanks guys!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
infinite-foamies

Re: Room under dash??

I am putting a DVD with fold out screen plus modded(to have remote mount face plate) Cobra 29 LX BT on a hinged tray that hides behind the dash, making speaker enclosures that go under dash on either side which require a fuse box relocation, custom glove box because I am also adding factory AC and may have to make a custom S-duct to move the vent box. Then looking to use modern JEEP side dash vents as I don't like the lack of adjust-ability in the stock balls.
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Room under dash??

I have single din Sony with disc. I have 2 Mephis gold 3.5" speakers mounted in the center dash and factory AC.
With everything in place.
I think the 4" will be fine.
No this isn't the finished product but just a fitting test. I curved the sheet metal so that it rested on the top of the AC vent and wedged up against the under side of the dash. Fits pretty tight and I notched the metal so it couldn't slid either direction.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I think thee stock dash is one of the nicest designs I've ever seen in a truck. The cabs are small and properly working A/C is ice cold. You don't need it blowing directly on you to be cool, just like your house

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
infinite-foamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think thee stock dash is one of the nicest designs I've ever seen in a truck. The cabs are small and properly working A/C is ice cold. You don't need it blowing directly on you to be cool, just like your house
More interested in heat hitting me directly, I don't plan to ever use AC, prefer the windows down. However I will be daily driving in an area that has many weeks of at least -10F and my diesel does not build heat until I am driving. I agree about the stock dash which is why I am going through all of this effort to not hack it up. I would use the stock surrounds with the modern louvers.
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
67 chevelle

retrosound makes a nice compact unit that fits the stock holes , it does not have a cd player , but does have bluetooth and usb/thumbdrive . Cds are going the way of cassets , 8 tracs , and record players .
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
retrosound makes a nice compact unit that fits the stock holes , it does not have a cd player , but does have bluetooth and usb/thumbdrive . Cds are going the way of cassets , 8 tracs , and record players .
^^^I agree. I put one of these in the 68 I built last year and would plug a thumb drive or Ipod into it. Great music without the hassle of cd's.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Room under dash??

Mine is blue tooth, USB and aux out puts. I can even listen to it with my hearing aids if I want. It's all voice activated to.
I don't have to touch my phone at all to talk to someone just say hello and start talking.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I still listen to LPs, cassettes, and CDs. They sound just as good as ever. They didn't stop working just because the next new thing came along. I never did the 8-track thing. I saw that as a bad design and went with cassette in my vehicles. I never understood why I was the only guy with cassette when they had all the advantages w/o any disadvantages (and you can record your own music off your LPs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite-foamies View Post
More interested in heat hitting me directly, I don't plan to ever use AC, prefer the windows down. However I will be daily driving in an area that has many weeks of at least -10F and my diesel does not build heat until I am driving. I agree about the stock dash which is why I am going through all of this effort to not hack it up. I would use the stock surrounds with the modern louvers.
Not to be contrary, but the heat in these trucks is outrageously good (way better than square body or GMT400s) and it doesn't come out the A/C ports. Since heat rises, the best place to blow it is down by the floor. Blow it out the dash and your feet and lower legs will be cold. I also live with winter weather. I work outside all day in it. I never use an ice scraper, I just let the truck's heat melt it off before hopping in and heading out. I would have to roll a window down to have the temp lever all the way to the right. Usually rides about 1/4 way over. But when it's that cold my truck is off the road so the salt won't rot it out these days.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-15-2016 at 07:30 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Tdrcreyn4

I just finished doing exactly what you are asking about. Yes it is tight but it fits just fine. I put duel 4" speakers in the stock location as some above. Sounds great. I bought the bracket from the board under the stereo section and added the billet face plate also for sale on the board which looks awesome.
1970 K20 350/350/205 - sold
1969 K20 396/400/205 - work in process
Tdrcreyn4 is offline   Reply With Quote