The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
1972BlueC20

Power Steering Alignment Issues!! Please Help!!

I started doing my conversion today from manual steering to power steering.

I have 2 different universal pump brackets. Both hold the pump great, but both had alignment issues. Either the pulley wasn't angled right without adding washers to tilt the pump and both were causing problems with the alternator belt rubbing on something. It was rubbing on different spots depending which bracket I was using.

I finally got the power steering pulley angled (pitched) the same as the crank pulley. The ps belt seems to be dead on aligned with the crank. It's nice and tight but the alternator belt was still slightly touching the body of the pump. I had to put 1 washer on each bolt that attaches the alternator bracket to the drivers side cylinder head to slightly shift the alternator pulley just a tiny bit forward.

Now everything seems to be lined and angled right.

My only concern is the alternator belt is uncomfortably close to the power steering pump housing. Like litteraly I can maybe slide a business card between the housing and the belt. It's not touching but it's that close.

Is it normal sometimes for these power steering systems to be EXTREMELY tight with the clearances? Is it also normal to sometimes use washers to get things lined up?

Am I good to go or do I need to do something about this?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Power Steering Alignment Issues!! Please Help!!

ttt, please if anyone can chime in so I can proceed tonight putting the gearbox on.

Problem is I can't start the truck to see how the belts clear when in motion without hooking the gearbox up and filling with fluid. Correct? I mean the pump is not hooked up and dry. I can't start it like that even for a few minutes right?

If I find out after I install everything that it's not going to work then it will be a ton more work to take everything apart.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
dirish

I'm not a mechanic, but my belt is very close to the PS cap. Alignment has been a small issue for me in the past. I think it's common problem.
dirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
frankslagoon

they can be close. maybe a different length belt on the pump or alt. would swing them away from each other a little bit.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
65 C20

Don't run your pump when it is dry.
If you want to do a test remove the P/S belt and try with your alternater belt as this is the one that seems to bother you.
Then you can see if there is a problem with it.
65 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote