The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

Anybody used Doug's Headers on a 4wd?

I am looking at Doug's Headers for my 67 4wd. Its a factory 4wd & factory V8, has a mid 70's 350, a turbo 350 auto, & NP205. I plan to move it all forward 1" for HEI dizzy clearance. I'm looking at their headers D371Y & D372Y. Looks like the D372Y drops down more. Any experience here?? Thanks, Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
dazza

Re: Anybody used Doug's Headers on a 4wd?

I've got the 372Y's on my 72 K10. I had to re-work my z-bar on the clutch linkage but seeing that you have an auto you won't have to worry about that.

My hei is close, it doesn't hit but only has less than half an inch clearance. Thought about moving everything but I heard on a 4wd it's a big pita, so I've decided not to.

The other near miss is the passenger side rear shackle of my leaf springs. Even after flipping the bolt it was so close I notched a bit out of the flange to give it a bit more space. It has about an 1/8" if I'm lucky. I'll see how things go here within the next few days, firing her up after a multi year restore.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
swamp rat

I had a set on my 72 K20 for 20 years, had to clearance one of the exhaust flanges to clear the rear shackle, think it was the passenger side but cant remember for sure. Passenger side does hang down further than the driver side but a good exhaust guy can get the pipe up over to the transfer case.

Good pic of a set here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...horley+headers

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I had a set on my 72 K20 for 20 years,
Why did you decide to take them off?

Quote:
had to clearance one of the exhaust flanges to clear the rear shackle, think it was the passenger side but cant remember for sure. Passenger side does hang down further than the driver side but a good exhaust guy can get the pipe up over to the transfer case.
If this amateur exhaust guy can do it(well kind of) anybody can. Haven't really welded since high school and using a 120v welder combined with thick existing exhaust and new, cheap, thin bends from local auto parts store was an experience to say the least. Even a grinder had trouble cleaning it up and I'm sure I will need to take it in once it's running for some touch up work!

Also a shot of the space between my shackle and the collector.
Attached Images

---- ----
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks for the replies. I had a set of cheap headers on the truck when I tore it down to restore and the passenger side collector flange had the same issue of hitting the front drive shaft or the spring shackle. Not sure if I will get the Black painted or the Silver Ceramic ones yet, but I will cut off the flange and weld the exhaust pipe to the collector for better clearance. Any thoughts on removal of the ceramic stuff to be able to weld? I know the black paint won't be an issue to remove. How well does the black paint hold up? I figured the ceramic ones would keep the temp under the hood down a little.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
swamp rat

I took them off because i'm getting old and its harder and harder for me to climb up into a lifted truck to work on it, the headers require stubby plugs and fiberglass sleeves over the boots, some plugs were reachable from under the truck some from above, a couple thru the fender well/frame gap using a socket and long extension and a wobblie with tape around it to keep it from flopping over. I also had to make a custom wrench out of a socket and wrench handle welded together. I went back to ram horns so i could do a plug change while standing on a step ladder with a socket/extension/ratchet. When i was younger this stuff was not an issue like today

That said i miss the mild lope i got out of them with my mild cam, there is slightly less torque off the bottom now as well. The pictures shown are like a flashback of my truck, probably some pic's in my build thread if ya feel like combing thru it.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbr View Post
Thanks for the replies. I had a set of cheap headers on the truck when I tore it down to restore and the passenger side collector flange had the same issue of hitting the front drive shaft or the spring shackle. Not sure if I will get the Black painted or the Silver Ceramic ones yet, but I will cut off the flange and weld the exhaust pipe to the collector for better clearance. Any thoughts on removal of the ceramic stuff to be able to weld? I know the black paint won't be an issue to remove. How well does the black paint hold up? I figured the ceramic ones would keep the temp under the hood down a little.
Do the 372y's actually come in black? This I did not know.
---- ----
Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
When i was younger this stuff was not an issue like today
Well, at least you're strong/brave enough to admit it! My mind finds way to compensate with things like, "ahh, you're experienced enough to endure the pain"
---- ----
Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
gregbr
Senoir Member

The 372's come in the Ceramic coated D372Y, in Black D372Y-B, and raw steel D372Y-R.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #10
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
Well, at least you're strong/brave enough to admit it! My mind finds way to compensate with things like, "ahh, you're experienced enough to endure the pain"
LOL! Some mornings i can hardly walk..... Is that a song somewhere??

Yea i can admit it, i have more injury's that most pro football players, anymore it seems like every month something is giving me trouble! Still wondering why i replaced my 20 year old lift with another new 4" lift a couple years ago...

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's