The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Beefcake

we've gotta 3/4 ton down......

Put 1500 miles on the old girl this weekend, and she left me stranded at work monday night. Guess she just wanted to get me home.

On the walk home, I was wondering who has the best no start story.

currently has 350/350/14 bolt. 383 and 400 tranny is in the works.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
bpmcgee

I bought my Blazer and took it in about 2 days later to get the rear end put right -- they'd put 3:73s in it and I wanted 3:08s and the axles rebuilt.

For some reason things didn't go right, no parts, everything. 2 day job ended up taking a month! FINALLY it was done. Picked it up after work, headed home, and at the first stop light the fuel pump died.

If someone had offered me $100 and a ride home, I'd have sold it right then and there!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
70cst

I bought my 70cst about four years ago in Celina Tn which is about a 6-7 hour drive from my home. I found her through the Tradin Times. I had been looking for a mid fifties chevy truck but I had educated myself on the 67-72 trucks also. The ad read...For Sale: 1970cst chevy, 402bb,auto,buckets,ac,tach,etc...that ad got my attention so I went out to check her out. Needless to say I knew this was the truck...so I put down a deposit and went back down about three weeks later to pick her up. My son drove his S10 down and he was going to follow me home. I picked up the "Circuit Rider" and started to drive home with my son following me. I stopped to get my first tank of gas and would you believe it...she would not start. Can we say "Bad starter?" I had to leave the truck with a guy who lived across the road from the Stop-N-Go...He said he could fix her up if I left the truck with him for a few days. Soooooo...Two weeks later I drove back down with my son to pick up the truck...a six hour plus drive. Then on the way home the alternator started to go out. I was able to get home but it really bites when your son says.."Dad...Why didn't you get a real truck like his S10?" Needless to say my Son no longer has his S10 but I still have my 70cst and my son says this ole truck rocks!! (I wonder if the 402BB has anything to do with his conversion?) That makes sense since Chevy Trucks are built like a rock?
The Circuit Rider lives!!!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
PR454SS

Best no start story, I'm not sure, had a good one last Friday night, came out of work and my truck cranked on the first time, and then a loud crunch and very slow cranking. I came back the next day and the whole cast nose piece on the starter had broken off for some reason. I still got half of the core charge back though.

72SWB 350/350TH, 3500stall,525 lift cam 3:73 posi. Sold!
69LWB Flatbed 350/Super T-10, ported/polished 481 heads, 480 lift cam.
78SWB 468/400TH, ported/polished Alum. heads, 3:42 posi, 3000 stall on 17x8 and 18x9.5's
77 Jeep CJ-5 304V8 fiberglass body on 36" Ground Hawgs

Last edited by PR454SS; 03-02-2004 at 02:50 PM.
PR454SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Last year when I bought my Longhorn in NJ (I'm in PA) I took my C10 with a tow dolly, to make story short had the Longhorn towing the C10, couple of hours in the trip back had to stop to get gas and air up a low tire, needless to say the truck didn't start back up (starter selenoid was bad) and had to wait a couple of hours with a thunder storm in the making before I could get it started.

That was before I found out how to get it started even with the bad selenoid.
And that wasn't the only time it left me stranded, then I decided to replace the starter selenoid. :p

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
Beefcake

Yep, the old screw driver trick gets a bad solenoid going. I did that about ahalf the way home. Only problem is, my plugs looked like they had a bunch of tar on them.... thats why she wouldnt start. So…Moral of the story- If your driving a clunker, dont go on that 1500 mile trip without an extra set of plugs.

currently has 350/350/14 bolt. 383 and 400 tranny is in the works.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
COBALT

This one's easy.

Short version: The rig would start, but I wouldn't DARE put it in gear.

Long version: A buddy of mine and I took my S10 blazer up to the skiing areas in the Cascades on Thanksgiving weekend to do some driving in the snow when I was in highschool. My dad (who was sick with the flu) told me DO NOT TAKE THAT BLAZER UP IN THE HILLS ON THANKSGIVING WEEKEND. I didn't listen.

Dressed in light sweaters, geans, and regular shoes we got up to the top of the pass and started having fun on the logging roads. It was getting near lunch time so we decided to go down to the ski resourt and get some lunch.

On our way into the parking lot the 3spd automatic in that '85 blazer slipped out of gear. In the rearview mirror I saw an ocean of red fluid all over the road. We'd been dumping fluid for over 100 feet.

After discovering the pan seal had let loose we were stuck at the ski resourt. I had to either get a ride home, or call my house. Luckily my friend's sister was up at the ski resort skiing, but when we found her she only agreed to take us down the hill to the next town. She flat-out refused to take us home.

I was screwed. I had to call my dad. Needless to say HE WAS ANGRY. He had to drag his flu sick body out of bed, go to the neighbors to ask if he could borrow their flat bed trailer, hook it up to his truck, and drive up to get us.

We were able to hang out in the ski lodge for a while to keep warm, but once that closed we were stuck waiting in the blazer for over 4 hours freezing our butts off. Around 12:00 AM my dad showed up, and refused to help us load the rig, so my friend and I managed to get it on the trailer. Cold and miserable we all drove down the mountain without exchanging a single word.

Later, it turns out the transmission had little life left. The previous owner had abused the rig pretty hard we knew, but we didn't know how much until we took it to the transmission shop. $1200 out of my pocket to pay for it, and I had to do some extra errands around the farm to settle with dad.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote