The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
Jemezcrusher

Inner door weather strip

My 50 was crashed. Have to replace the cab, and found a great 47 that is rust free.

Made the purchase and have to deal with some of the differences. One I discovered today is the difference in how the weatherstrip on the inside of the door attaches. The 47 (and 48) have a spindly tille strip that holds the weathersrtip in place. The 50 has a channel that looks like a much better attachment, and was obviously an improvement to the earlier model.

Can this channel be removed and applied to the 47 cab? My guess is that it is spot welded in.
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Inner door weather strip

they repop that channel ant it would fit 47-49
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Jemezcrusher

Install with screws rather than spotwelds?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
72Mountaineer

If you're speaking of the channel on the cab yes it is spot welded on, I had to remove mine on my '53 when I replaced the kick panel. Just be gentle taking it off. You can also buy the channel from resto places, might be easier.
72Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
jackson

already painted my interior. I wonder if small pop rivots on the ripop channelwould give any hangups on the rubber install
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
donandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
already painted my interior. I wonder if small pop rivots on the ripop channelwould give any hangups on the rubber install
I replaced the channel on my 53 with repop. It's nice quality and matches the original. The rubber weatherstrip that slides in that channel is pretty tight, so I think rivet heads might be a problem. It would probably fit if you took a small punch shaped to make a dimple in both the pieces before rivet installation to countersink them flush in the bottom of the channel and used a 1/8th countersunk rivet.

I spot welded mine by plug welding, then used a dremmel to clean up the weld flush to the bottom.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Jemezcrusher

72 Mountaineer

I thought about removing the one I have from the 50 cab. Looks like might be pretty tough to get at it where it runs next to the dash.

Did I you just pry it out in that area or are there no spot welds there?

Last edited by Jemezcrusher; 04-18-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Add name
Old 04-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Gippetto

Jemecrusher:
This is another difference you might encounter between a 47 and a 50. Not sure when it was changed but my 47 has a single rear cab support trunion in the center with a rubber bumper in each rear corner. Apparently it was not up to snuff and GM redesigned the rear support with a single arm trunion at each corner and changed to three support braces on the cab's rear wall behind the seat.

Just an observation. You will figure out what you have to do where you have both style cabs, if they are in fact different.
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Jemezcrusher

Know about the mount difference. The center mount may have put too much stress on the cab so they moved to the trunion mounts. My neighbor has a 47 with a manual that refers to the "comfort ride cab"

My 235 and driving style will not impact this so think I may stick with the center mount and new bumpers. Don't think that will be a problem, and would be less work. I am missing the center mount bracket or at least there are empty bolt holes on the cab that indicate I am missing something. Will have to look at the neighbors GMC to verify. looks as if the cross members are the same so should not be a big deal

Last edited by Jemezcrusher; 04-18-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling