The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
1970pelle

Installing my Western Chassis drop

Man I'm getting old, I only finished on side yesterday. I only worked about 4 hours on the project. I started on the left front, replacing the spindled, spring,shock, both ball joints, and swap bar bushings. And a bunch of cleaning.
The tear down was easy, I have to brag again on southern trucks. Everything unbolted, cotter pins pulled out easy. But all the years of rode dirt,tar,sand and whatever. Made for some tuff and very dirty cleaning of the A-arms, and surrounding areas.
The only thing that kicked my butt was the lower ball joint. Which is a press in or beat in joint. The joint was larger than the A-frame hole. So after some cleaning and running a die grinder with a flat bit around the ID of the ball joint hole. And hit the belt sander with the ball joint its self. I was able to get it started and pushed in to place.
I'm sure the right side will go much smoother. Then onto the rear for the leaf spring hangers. The shackels are already installed. And removing the over load spring.

Then installing the transmission and new intake manifold. I may get to drive this truck one day.

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Super_Dave

Re: Installing my Western Chassis drop

Nice progress!

I am in the opposite order you are... I have the trans scheduled late this week, then the suspension, wheels and tires... Been a long wait to get started but finally, I am!

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

The fact you ground down a press in ball joint to make it fit without pressing so hard scares the crap out of me.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #4
1970pelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The fact you ground down a press in ball joint to make it fit without pressing so hard scares the crap out of me.
I guess I should describe what I do for fear of choosing any of you tender hearted nightmares. Yes I took a die grinder a cleaned up the hole. There was
30 years of years and road crud built up there. There was no way the ball joint was going in to that hole.
Looking back over my years turning a wrench, I bet I have installed a couple hundred sets of ball joints without any issue's. I have always cleaned and prep the holes for the new joint. It still was a tight fit, groaned all the way in. Using a ball press.
The side I did today wasn't as tough.
Front end is back together. And trans is setting on the jack ready to go back in.

Weather been really nice, I think a may go riding and work on the truck Thursday.

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Jake Wade

In Tom's defense, you did make it sound like you enlarged the hole in the arm/reduced the O.D. of the balljoint which, is not good practice at all.

A good cleanup of the area however, is doing the job right.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wade View Post
In Tom's defense, you did make it sound like you enlarged the hole in the arm/reduced the O.D. of the balljoint which, is not good practice at all.

A good cleanup of the area however, is doing the job right.
Exactly.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote