The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
davepl

No luck putting LS3 in - how do you do a manual trans motor install?

This probably belongs in "alternate tinkerings" but its kind of generic to the LS motor, so I'll take my chances. Move at will.

I tried three times yesterday to get the LS3 to mate up to the TKO-600. It's replacing a big block. The bellhousing and internals are on the engine, and the trans itself is still in the vehicle, so I've got to mate them up and install the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing.

I'm close to the firewall, maybe too close. But the trans has not moved, it's still connected to the crossmember. I've got to think an LS motor will fit where a big block sat, but no luck so far.

I've never even done an engine swap on a manual trans truck before, so all I'm doing is lowering the engine down and in, getting the input shaft into the throwout bearing, and then trying to get the engine to engage and mate up.

I did -not- try turning the wheels yet, so if that's typically required to get them to line up, that's part of the problem.

Is the input shaft keyed, such that they only fit ONE way, or do I just need to get the splines to grab the clutch disc? You'd think that'd be pretty simple. Heck, it might have done so already, I can't see in there!

I'm really close to pulling the trans and then installing them as a unit. That's about my only fallback plan.

I need the emergency "genius mechanic housecall" right about now!

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
davepl

Re: No luck putting LS3 in - how do you do a manual trans motor install?

I looked at some pictures on the Internet (!) and there's no key on the clutch, just splines, so I doubt that's what was preventing me, though you never know....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I have also used the same TKO500 behind two different engines with two different clutch setups, a big block and small block - but not an LS. I will say the have to be lined up very straight for the shaft to slide into the clutch properly. The only problem I had was pulling the engine out while leaving the trans in one time, and the angle of the engine hoist was what got me - I had to jack the front of the trans up quite a bit to get them straight enough for the input shaft to slide out.

I'm assuming you measured the length of the input shaft vs. the depth of the bell housing and crankshaft and that's all checks out? Are you using an adapter? I know you had another thread related to this, but I didn't read through it. Did you have the clutch centered up right when you bolted down the pressure plate (clutch alignment tool) to the flywheel? Being able to rock the wheels back and forth would probably help you out too (as you mentioned).

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've done a bunch of em..would be much much easier to pull the trans out and get your engine set in place, then install your trans .although you can put it in as one unit it is much harder and heavier..was this trans on the ls engine before?is your clutch the one that goes with the trans? If you installed clutch/pressure plate did you use a lineup tool? When installing the trans it has to be lined up just right or it will bind up when sliding it thru the clutch and pilot bearing..when installing the trans put it in gear and while installing the trans turn the yoke to line up the splines with the clutch Once it starts in you may have to wiggle the trans around to get it seated in.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
SS Tim

With as many questions you have had in your flurry of LS threads posted here I would strongly suggest pulling the trans and dry fitting them to verify everything is going to work. Split them, install the motor and then the trans.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
This probably belongs in "alternate tinkerings" but its kind of generic to the LS motor, so I'll take my chances. Move at will.

I tried three times yesterday to get the LS3 to mate up to the TKO-600. It's replacing a big block. The bellhousing and internals are on the engine, and the trans itself is still in the vehicle, so I've got to mate them up and install the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing.

I'm close to the firewall, maybe too close. But the trans has not moved, it's still connected to the crossmember. I've got to think an LS motor will fit where a big block sat, but no luck so far.

I've never even done an engine swap on a manual trans truck before, so all I'm doing is lowering the engine down and in, getting the input shaft into the throwout bearing, and then trying to get the engine to engage and mate up.

I did -not- try turning the wheels yet, so if that's typically required to get them to line up, that's part of the problem.

Is the input shaft keyed, such that they only fit ONE way, or do I just need to get the splines to grab the clutch disc? You'd think that'd be pretty simple. Heck, it might have done so already, I can't see in there!

I'm really close to pulling the trans and then installing them as a unit. That's about my only fallback plan.

I need the emergency "genius mechanic housecall" right about now!

Not sure if you are aware that there is an LS Swaps Forum on here. A few very knowledgeable people over there. It sticks in my mind that there is something different about the pilot bearing/bushing on the LS engines....

Also, I always put a little upward pressure on the clutch disk alignment tool while I am tightening up the pressure plate bolts. It makes installing the trans a lot easier.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Lockdoc you are correct. On mine there is a pilot bearing adapter bushing that must be in the crank shaft hole..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
firedemon

most times iv put a trans in I had to turn the trans quite a bit to get the splines lined up . might be easier as one piece or do trans last
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Ruscal

The plastic pilot shaft alignment guides are not the best for accuracy. I used the one that came with the T56 Magnum to do mine, and it didn't get the disc centered enough to get it to go together. The tool has too much slop. I loosened up the pressure plate and had another go at it. The second time it went in. Old pilot shafts work best.