The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #26
uber cool

Re: ENGINE - to Scrap or not to scrap

Shame we didn't meet at the NSRA meet, no problems drop me a pm any time. Andy
uber cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #27
Hansome

Ubercool - PM sent!!
Hansome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #28
Hansome

Cleaned up and checked the heads for cracks it looks like I've a crack free head - just a crack in the block...

which is good news, and not a complete junker!!

Last edited by Hansome; 04-05-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #29
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is good news
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #30
Hansome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That is good news
indeed... i initially brought it for the Head so i could port and open up the head for breathing/bigger valves. but thought it would be easier to build a whole new engine out of the truck so no down time and swap it over.

its cleaned up good, no visible cracks i should say - need to get it magna fluxed still to be sure. Its had 2 of the exhaust valve guides replaced but thats all.

just need to deal with the block issue .....
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #31
vince1

What about first getting a piece of scrap cast iron to practice on for amperage, type of rod etc.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #32
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansome View Post
Cleaned up and checked the heads for cracks it looks like I've a crack free head - just a crack in the block...

which is good news, and not a complete junker!!

did you check the top side of the head? specifically by the left front head bolt hole and where the t/stat adapter bolts.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #33
J1MMY

It would appear that there is something of a strong UK presence in the 60-66 forum

I've not long pulled a good strong 230 (pretty sure it is not a 250 and didn't bother to check) out of my '63 as I picked up a 292. It's on RnS. I saw that engine on eBay if it's the one I was thinking of as it's got the correct pulleys for power steering? Was in Bristol I think?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #34
Hansome

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MMY View Post
It would appear that there is something of a strong UK presence in the 60-66 forum

I've not long pulled a good strong 230 (pretty sure it is not a 250 and didn't bother to check) out of my '63 as I picked up a 292. It's on RnS. I saw that engine on eBay if it's the one I was thinking of as it's got the correct pulleys for power steering? Was in Bristol I think?
Hi Jimmy,

Hows it going!

Ha ha ha I've already checked it out on RnS.

I know the 292 your talking about (blue one) i turned it down earlier that morning (as i just wanted a swap out swap in) with no messing........... and....

yep - one on Ebay is the one thats now in parts I'm my lock up. had the double grooved pulley for P/S thats right.

Ah you win some you loose some, was a good price and maybe we can save the block.

yeah theres a few UK guys on here - you'll probably recognise the user names from other forums -
Grizz, Martin, Paul, Andy, Ian, JP and Danny and other i may have forgotten/not met( on line)
If you here of a 6 block going drop me a line please -

take is easy

Dan
Old 04-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #35
Hansome

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MMY View Post

Ahh!!...... i just realised your that Jimmy - the dude who helped JP with his rear end problem

HI!!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #36
Hansome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
did you check the top side of the head? specifically by the left front head bolt hole and where the t/stat adapter bolts.
HI there,

Thanks for the heads up currently it seem ( to the naked eye) no problems in that area.
now you've highlighted it i will make sure that it gets the once over from the Machine/engineering shop.

thanks
D
Old 04-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #37
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansome View Post
Hi Andy,

I have been watching your complete build on here and was going to get in touch cause i see you pimped an inline.
I hoped you'd comment - we nearly met each other last week at NSRA swap meet...
Was talking to Rian and Martin and they said (and from your posts) you took Martins Inline to use to replace some bits missing on yours.

I do like an inline 6 and yes i know its going to potentially cost more - Currently have one in This....

(gonna put a wanted add up on RnS and NSRA forum to see if there are any blocks about.)

V8 350 is the back up, back up plan, should all else fail but id rather try my hand at beefing up a 6 -

Planned on doing the spare engine up with a similar set up to yours Langdon's, off/cliffords slightly bigger cam etc etc
Then drop that in the 66' as it my daily work vehicle and then re fresh the current 250 as it getting high on the miles.

wanted to pick your brain about your new set up etc

i may be in touch it thats ok?

cheers
D
That's just damn cool love to see American iron and especially old trucks in the uk .. that rocks
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote