The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
1963c-10

Re: 63 big block swap help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
I was going for the simple look without to much Bling.
I started off in the same boat and failed miserably...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #27
Eazyrider111

I think that if you are going to do it with "bling" or "clean and simple" go one way or the other. No sense in going half way. Both engines look great I'm just glad I'm not the only one that didn't paint mine Chevy orange. The guy that build my engine was surprised that I wanted Ford Red! Probably going to get a lot of flack for having a Ford color. But you have to make it your own.
Eazyrider111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
Eazyrider111

Update. So I got the motor in the chassis. Trimmed back the frame a little to get the headers in. Ran into a bit of an issue. So these headers are some long tube headers and the header pipe is resting on the mounting tube. These mounting brackets are from POL for 63-66. Now on their site it says for SBC or BBC. They suggest trimming the frame but when looking at the photos on their sight the top flange of the brackets seems shorter than the ones I got which I believe would help with clearance. looking for a simple solution so should I ditch the long tubes and try some shorties? or should I dent the header tube to fit? Or scrap these tubular mounts and find something different? I'm in a bit of a pickle.[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_20150917_142912_750 1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  36.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #29
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What is the application for those headers? Those look more like a car header.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #30
Eazyrider111

Your right captain, they are for a 66 impala. The headers were intended for the impala and then I changed projects hoping they would work in the truck. If not what do you suggest.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:05 AM   #31
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Those headers won't work. You will need either '68-'72 or '73-'87 truck headers. Or if you want more ground clearance a set of Chevelle headers. There is a thread in the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section about the Chevelle headers.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=533692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrider111 View Post
Your right captain, they are for a 66 impala. The headers were intended for the impala and then I changed projects hoping they would work in the truck. If not what do you suggest.

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-18-2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 09-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #32
Eazyrider111

Thanks for the help captain. Again. I will look into the chevelle header swap.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #33
smoothone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrider111 View Post
Update. So I got the motor in the chassis. Trimmed back the frame a little to get the headers in. Ran into a bit of an issue. So these headers are some long tube headers and the header pipe is resting on the mounting tube. These mounting brackets are from POL for 63-66. Now on their site it says for SBC or BBC. They suggest trimming the frame but when looking at the photos on their sight the top flange of the brackets seems shorter than the ones I got which I believe would help with clearance. looking for a simple solution so should I ditch the long tubes and try some shorties? or should I dent the header tube to fit? Or scrap these tubular mounts and find something different? I'm in a bit of a pickle.[ATTACH]Attachment 1447817[/ATTACH]

I am installing a 454 Gen VI in my 66 truck. I know this thread is a few months old but I'm hoping either OP of Captainfab can help. I was going to get these same perches and motor mounts for my swap that the op has. It doesn't look like the op had to grind the frame to put these mounts (perches) on? I can see he used the front holes which is fine with me. Chevy Fleetside had to trim the frame to use these tubular mounts but I don't see that here.

I am using the stock exhaust manifolds for now (can use the money towards other things, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock rpm intake). The truck will have plenty of power I'm not worried about high performance of any kind at the moment so I do not need headers. My question is do I just use these mounts in the front frame holes or should I use the 73+ C20 mounts as Captainfab has mentioned in a few other threads. I have searched but some answers are not so clear. If I use the 73+ C20 perches and mounts do they bolt up to the forward holes or do they bolt up to the stock rear frame holes and do I have to trim the frame for these to install? Also I f they bolt to the rear holes is the engine still being moved forward? do I have to lengthen the driveshaft? I seem to understand that these mounts will move your motor up a bit.

Are there any mounts that I can install and not trim the frame? I am referring to trimming for the perches not for the headers, I won't be using headers. I am pretty clear about the rest of the install, short water pump, move tranny crossmember up a bit and lengthen the driveshaft if I move the engine forward but is their a perch/mount setup that I can bolt on and just drop the motor and tranny in the location the the small block is in right now? Should I just use big block mounts and just move everything forward? I will have to trim the frame to install the big block perches correct? Thanks to anyone in advance.
smoothone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #34
smoothone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Those headers won't work. You will need either '68-'72 or '73-'87 truck headers. Or if you want more ground clearance a set of Chevelle headers. There is a thread in the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section about the Chevelle headers.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=533692
Captainfab I will probably end up using headers in the future so thanks for this but can you look at my question above and give some advice. I really did not want to start a new thread just to ask this. Thanks in advance.

PS thanks for the power steering and hydroboost brackets! Everything looked great and fit well! Top notch stuff!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #35
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
I started off in the same boat and failed miserably...
but you used just the right amount. It Is really not overdone.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #36
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothone View Post
I am installing a 454 Gen VI in my 66 truck. I know this thread is a few months old but I'm hoping either OP of Captainfab can help. I was going to get these same perches and motor mounts for my swap that the op has. It doesn't look like the op had to grind the frame to put these mounts (perches) on? I can see he used the front holes which is fine with me. Chevy Fleetside had to trim the frame to use these tubular mounts but I don't see that here.

My perches are different then the ones you pictured.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #37
smoothone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
My perches are different then the ones you pictured.

I am guessing these are the ones he has, yours look similar,

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Brackets-V-8/

Which ones did you use? I thought they were also tubular POL mounts.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #38
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
I am guessing these are the ones he has, yours look similar,

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Brackets-V-8/

Which ones did you use? I thought they were also tubular POL mounts.
If you look at the top flange. His are wider. Probably the 1/2" I trimmed.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #39
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have never used those aftermarket engine mount brackets and never will. The '73" C20/30 engine mount brackets move the engine forward slightly (enough for a big block) and bolt in with both holes on the crossmember. You will have to trim the top flange of the frame and drill the bolt holes for the top of the bracket. The frame trimming is not just for headers. When GM started offering the big blocks in trucks starting in '68, the top flange of the frame is narrower to allow clearance for the exhaust manifolds.

As for engine mount options, you can also use the '68-'71 big block engine mounts and frame brackets.

Quote:

I am using the stock exhaust manifolds for now (can use the money towards other things, electric fuel pump, Edelbrock rpm intake). The truck will have plenty of power I'm not worried about high performance of any kind at the moment so I do not need headers. My question is do I just use these mounts in the front frame holes or should I use the 73+ C20 mounts as Captainfab has mentioned in a few other threads. I have searched but some answers are not so clear. If I use the 73+ C20 perches and mounts do they bolt up to the forward holes or do they bolt up to the stock rear frame holes and do I have to trim the frame for these to install? Also I f they bolt to the rear holes is the engine still being moved forward? do I have to lengthen the driveshaft? I seem to understand that these mounts will move your motor up a bit.

Are there any mounts that I can install and not trim the frame? I am referring to trimming for the perches not for the headers, I won't be using headers. I am pretty clear about the rest of the install, short water pump, move tranny crossmember up a bit and lengthen the driveshaft if I move the engine forward but is their a perch/mount setup that I can bolt on and just drop the motor and tranny in the location the the small block is in right now? Should I just use big block mounts and just move everything forward? I will have to trim the frame to install the big block perches correct? Thanks to anyone in advance.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #40
smoothone

Quote:
I have never used those aftermarket engine mount brackets and never will. The '73" C20/30 engine mount brackets move the engine forward slightly (enough for a big block) and bolt in with both holes on the crossmember. You will have to trim the top flange of the frame and drill the bolt holes for the top of the bracket. The frame trimming is not just for headers. When GM started offering the big blocks in trucks starting in '68, the top flange of the frame is narrower to allow clearance for the exhaust manifolds.

As for engine mount options, you can also use the '68-'71 big block engine mounts and frame brackets.
Do the '73" C20/30 engine mount brackets mount in the rear hole on the frame or on the front holes? Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #41
smoothone

Does anyone know if I use the 73 and up c20 small block perches can I put those in the front frame holes for clearance or should I just leave them in the stock frame holes, thanks.

Edit: nevermind I found in another thread that you can use the newer small block perches and motor mounts in the front frame holes.

Last edited by smoothone; 04-25-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #42
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I answered that question in my post above. See the bold in the quote below.

Quote:

Quote:
Do the '73" C20/30 engine mount brackets mount in the rear hole on the frame or on the front holes? Thanks for the advice.