The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Rod Run

Thumbs down Not to happy with my wheels

I finally received my wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct earlier this week. I ordered staggered 17" soft 8's and I told them that I wanted them because they had the 4 1/2 & 5" backspacing.

They told me they didn't have the Cragars, but they had Vision and they were the same thing, so I bought them.

Now that I'm a looking around online, it seems their backspacing is 4" & 4 1/2". I'm pretty pissed right now and can't call until tomorrow. I am far from mounting the body on the chassis, so I can't go taking chances, when a lot of people on here have proven out that the Cragar offsets already work. It's going to be a LONG sleepless night for me.

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass this is going to be, to get straightened out.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Not to happy with my wheels

I ordered a couple sets of Gates fan belts from a local parts house when he showed up he had some other brand in his hand , now you'll have a lot harder time fixing your ordeal but I understand what a pain it is when what you ordered isn't what shows up , the young delivery driver looked at me like I was nuts when I told him to take them back and bring me what I ordered ,I got them 3 days later !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I hate the "this is what you want because this is what we have" business model. Don't try that crap on me. There are other places to go to get what "I" want. Ot the "we don't stock that, so buy this". No way, sorry about your luck. You should stock it or be willing to order because that is what I an going to buy and I'm just fine going where they do stock it. Last time I checked, that was how things got sold

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Rod Run

Ok, things are all straightened out. Phew.....

It was bedtime when I noticed, what I thought was wrong. I called them this morning and everything is how it's supposed to be. I guess what they did is just sent me an extra set of centercaps and that's where things got confusing for me (because the wheels have no obvious markings).

They told me that these are wheels from Unique Wheel (not Vision or Cragar) and the back spacing is as needed. I am still going to measure them myself, now that I can get out in the garage this morning. I just wasn't going to get out of bed last night at almost 1AM, just to head into the shop to measure backspacing.

I guess I just need to learn how to shut my mind down at bedtime. Usually my racing mind helps me, not hinders what I'm doing. A lot of times, I get some of my best ideas laying in bed, between midnight and 2ish AM and normally I would never start a thread like this until I was able to talk to the vendor or manufacturer. I guess we all mess up once in a while, but I'm a bit upset with myself because I started this thread. I would deleted it first thing this morning if the forum allowed it.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
davepl

Quote:
"this is what you want because this is what we have"
Put that in the lessons I should teach at the dinner table. I only got burned once by that. When I was 16 and totally a noob I wanted headers (I had single exhaust mind you, how I was going to hook them up I don't know). The speed shop had a set of headers on the wall, and guess what!

They were the exact headers needed for a 396 in a 69 Pontiac. What were the odds?

Well it turns out the odds were pretty slim, because I don't know WHAT they fit but they sure didn't fit my car. The exhaust shop would have been faster and cheaper to build headers from scratch than to make those things fit, it took them forever, and I kept swearing up and down they're "made for my car".

A couple of years later I wanted Flowmaster exhaust, but they had FloPro. That's what I needed, FloPro. Because that's what they sold. I was getting a little smarter by that point, however.

Lesson learned...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote