The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Custom.Chevy

Static Dropping C10 (raising engine & transmission)

Im trying to get my truck as low as possible on static drop. I have to many projects to worry about before i consider bagging this truck. I have 2.5" drop spindles and 1.5" lowering coils and my Total tire height is 29" ish depending on tire wear for the front. I took several leafs out of the rear and im running a 4 inch hanger on the back of the leafs. I already know Im going to flip the axle and c-notch the rear and cut the bed a little. this may require adding back a leaf or two and putting the stock hanger back in so it doesn't sit lower in the rear. (im going for completely level look). My biggest issues for clearance are my long tube race headers and custom exhaust. for example of clearance a baseball will not roll freely under the collector.

My question to everyone is. Is it possible to raise the engine height and transmission even if just an inch or two with out cutting any floor out and with out chopping the frame? My idea is to build custom engine and transmission mounts that will raise the engine height just a little. I could go get a nice set of ceramic coated shorty headers but my exhaust was built for long tubes.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Static Dropping C10 (raising engine & transmission)

Unless you have a drop member, the suspension will hit before the oil pan will.

The headers are usually to low for these trucks, one option is new headers. Be less effort than raising the engine and cutting the floor for transmission room.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Static Dropping C10 (raising engine & transmission)

Shorter off the shelf 3/4 length headers or custom built long tubes plus modding them to merge w/your current exhaust would be the choice I would make before going through the issues created by raising the motor & trans.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote