The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Super_Dave

What's your time worth?

Today, after 20 minutes on hold, I found out that a part I need (Passenger Inner Fender) in order to move forward, had the delivery date from Summit changed from 5/16 (already late) to 6/15...

So, I spent two hours looking for an 'affordable' alternative. Now, this part is not among the more costly sheetmetal parts. As everyone knows, it's the shipping that kicks you in the arse.

I called five places to confirm availability.

Vendor (1) - 20 minute wait. Hung up. Called back and hour later. 10 minute wait. Part is available.
Shipping: $230 from East Coast!

Vendor (2) - 18 minute wait. Part is available.
Shipping: $141 for a 100 mile trip!

Vendor (3) - No answer for availability.
Shipping: $45 online calculator from Mid-West.

Vendor (4) - No answer. Straight to voice mail. No returned call. No business.

Vendor (5) - No wait. Immediate answer. Product available.
Shipping: $30 - leaves tomorrow from Kansas.

They all sold Goodmark or Key Parts sheetmetal and the unit cost spread was a low of $29 to a high of $60... and the high was a Goodmark vendor, surprisingly.

So, was it worth 2 hours of frustration? Debatable. You try to support certain vendors but choke on shipping. You want quality parts, but most vendors don't advertise who they buy from. In the end, you pretty much don't have a choice... you have to spend the time to stretch your dollars.

Lesson learned: There is a reason why Summit is the #1 automotive vendor for price (most of the time) and timely, fair, shipping. LMC is a good alternative.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
NJ C10 Guy

Re: What's your time worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
Today, after 20 minutes on hold, I found out that a part I need (Passenger Inner Fender) in order to move forward, had the delivery date from Summit changed from 5/16 (already late) to 6/15...

So, I spent two hours looking for an 'affordable' alternative. Now, this part is not among the more costly sheetmetal parts. As everyone knows, it's the shipping that kicks you in the arse.

I called five places to confirm availability.

Vendor (1) - 20 minute wait. Hung up. Called back and hour later. 10 minute wait. Part is available.
Shipping: $230 from East Coast!

Vendor (2) - 18 minute wait. Part is available.
Shipping: $141 for a 100 mile trip!

Vendor (3) - No answer for availability.
Shipping: $45 online calculator from Mid-West.

Vendor (4) - No answer. Straight to voice mail. No returned call. No business.

Vendor (5) - No wait. Immediate answer. Product available.
Shipping: $30 - leaves tomorrow from Kansas.

They all sold Goodmark or Key Parts sheetmetal and the unit cost spread was a low of $29 to a high of $60... and the high was a Goodmark vendor, surprisingly.

So, was it worth 2 hours of frustration? Debatable. You try to support certain vendors but choke on shipping. You want quality parts, but most vendors don't advertise who they buy from. In the end, you pretty much don't have a choice... you have to spend the time to stretch your dollars.

Lesson learned: There is a reason why Summit is the #1 automotive vendor for price (most of the time) and timely, fair, shipping. LMC is a good alternative.
Yep. Nothing worse than getting crushed on shipping costs, especially on big items. I get it, but at the same time the varied costs across vendors really confuses me sometimes. I love ordering from Summit and Jegs. I've had good experiences with LMC, although their handling charge is a little suspect to me sometimes. I haven't had to order any body panels though, which is nice.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

If you're in a hurry and worried about shipping cost, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use vendor number 2 and just drive over and get it.

Shucks Phoenix is 90 miles one way...minimum for me, and I do it all the time. You won't spend anywhere near $141 in gas, and you'll have the part back home in not much more time than you spent on the phone in frustration
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
If you're in a hurry and worried about shipping cost, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use vendor number 2 and just drive over and get it.

Shucks Phoenix is 90 miles one way...minimum for me, and I do it all the time. You won't spend anywhere near $141 in gas, and you'll have the part back home in not much more time than you spent on the phone in frustration
Roger that!

I gave it some serious thought. As it is, I will have it from LMC by end of next week. We should be in the middle of tear-down by then, replacing all the rust outs (excluding rocker/kickers), wiring harness, new gauge cluster, Blazer gas tank, new PS pump, cab mounts... Then sneak it back to the trans shop to dial in the shift points and get ready to move on to phase three...

Old 05-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

Sounds like you got it squared away
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Sounds like you got it squared away
2.5 years in the making...

There is many a day I wish I was in AZ or CA just for the pick-n-pull options. Slim pickings here and not in the best of shape when you do find them. Forces you into the import market if you want to git'er done in your lifetime...

Old 05-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
IdahoMan

Shipping costs are a major turn-off when it comes to ordering products.
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMan View Post
Shipping costs are a major turn-off when it comes to ordering products.
What really works against the online vendor today, is the HUGE discrepancy between what one company charges for shipping vs. another.

The average price for the inner fender was about $35.
If you add it to the highest shipping vendor, that fender would cost you $265.
If you add it to the lowest shipping vendor, that fender would cost you $55.

That's a $210 differential!! For WHAT?! To be put on hold for 20 minutes?
If you question them, they say "it has to go freight." Well, I got a news flash: So do all the other vendors!!

I understand some vendors have to ship cross country. But when an Indiana vendor (who arguably sells much less product) charges $45 and a Virginia vendor (who arguably sells a LOT more product) charges $230, there is no way the additional 587 miles justifies the additional $185, I don't care how you slice it. Another way of looking at it: The 587 miles from Virginia to Indiana equals 80% of the total shipping and the remaining 2,000 miles accounts for only 20%. It doesn't add up.

The Virginia vendor takes the LAZY way out and has a minimum shipping charge (except for small items).

Case in point:
A 1974 Cowl Induction Hood ships for $230...
A 1974 Inner Fender ships for the same $230...
Both together... yup, they ship for the same $230...
Net result: Lost a sale.

Last edited by Super_Dave; 05-18-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Nick_R_23

Boy, I wish I had your guys' shipping problems!

I'm currently having trouble getting anyone to ship drop spindles up here for a decent price. I hate spending hours on the phone with vendors to end up just being told 'no', or that they refuse to work with you to ship something. I guess they don't need the business? Nobody seems to want to ship any way other than Fedex or UPS which absolutely kills me. Summit will do USPS but their pricing isn't much better, and when I questioned them on it they basically said 'tough luck'. Sometimes I feel like it would be cheaper and easier to buy my own jet and fly down to pick things up myself.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
mk3barti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post

I'm currently having trouble getting anyone to ship drop spindles up here for a decent price. I hate spending hours on the phone with vendors to end up just being told 'no', or that they refuse to work with you to ship something. I guess they don't need the business? Nobody seems to want to ship any way other than Fedex or UPS which absolutely kills me. Summit will do USPS but their pricing isn't much better, and when I questioned them on it they basically said 'tough luck'. Sometimes I feel like it would be cheaper and easier to buy my own jet and fly down to pick things up myself.
I feel your pain. Shipping to Canada is a killer, especially if there is any weight involved....and factor in the current exchange.
mk3barti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Low Elco

If you're near a big city, there's usually a "crash Parts" aftermarket body panel store. Most of them handle Key Parts. They may not stock them, but they can get them easily. Keystone is a big one.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
IdahoMan

I wanted some "Binding Freedom" or "Quiver Killer" inserts for possible use in a behind-seat storage design, but I believe the S&H was around $10 for a $1.50 insert. That might work out if you are buying bulk, but not for 1-5 pieces. Forget it.
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
akart

Quote:

Yes, I live in Alaska too. For some parts I use an alternitive address in the lower 48 and have my friend mail it to me. Summit is fine with me, shipping is high to Alaska but these are quality parts not found in AK and I get the parts really fast.
You don't like a vendor's price or shipping,buy some where else. You time is worth nothing so suck it up and shell out the bucks. You wanted that Square.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Super_Dave

Quote:

Summit will do USPS but their pricing isn't much better, and when I questioned them on it they basically said 'tough luck'. Sometimes I feel like it would be cheaper and easier to buy my own jet and fly down to pick things up myself.
I have shipped USPS Flat Rate all over the country. I once mailed a 70# Pillow Block Bearing to a machine shop so they could build a slip fit spindle from 4130 ground and polished hardened steel... It fit in a USPS Flat Rate box and was under the maximum weight allowed, so it went for $8.95 at the time. The postal worker had quite a time moving that box around!

Maybe we should work out a trade - shipping from the L48 for some Alaska King Salmon or King Crab...

Speaking of USPS, I have always found it interesting that the vast majority of companies never use USPS Flat rate. It's much cheaper, guaranteed 3 day delivery... etc. Of course there is the annual rebates from FedEx, UPS and others, based on volume shipped, but in the end customer service and satisfaction should come into play somewhere. Summit builds shipping into their pricing models and then markets 'Free Shipping' based on their $99 threshold. High volume allows them to still make a tidy profit while keeping a loyal and satisfied following. The days of supporting small vendors high prices and shipping, are gone in today's world.

Last edited by Super_Dave; 05-19-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
Yes, I live in Alaska too. ... You don't like a vendor's price or shipping,buy some where else. You time is worth nothing so suck it up and shell out the bucks. You wanted that Square.
Ouch!

For the sake of argument, everyone's time is worth something. We all trade our time for things like... money, education, pleasure, rest and relaxation... etc.

I grew up in Alaska. The only way to get things was by barge, sea plane or Alaska Steam Ship. Clothes were ordered from a Sears catalog once a year. Food was purchased at a Commissary from supplies that arrived every few months. We spent a lot of time 'sucking it up' finding used clothes and shoes to fill in. There are a lot more solutions out there these days. You found one that works for you. Your fellow Alaskan is trying to do the same. Support goes a lot further than criticism.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
If you're near a big city, there's usually a "crash Parts" aftermarket body panel store. Most of them handle Key Parts. They may not stock them, but they can get them easily. Keystone is a big one.
X2
In my area at least my local auto parts store can typically get replacement sheet metal in 24 hours. Real person that picks up the phone and no shipping.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
Yes, I live in Alaska too. For some parts I use an alternitive address in the lower 48 and have my friend mail it to me. Summit is fine with me, shipping is high to Alaska but these are quality parts not found in AK and I get the parts really fast.

You don't like a vendor's price or shipping,buy some where else. You time is worth nothing so suck it up and shell out the bucks. You wanted that Square.
Unfortunately not all of us have OOS addresses available. Summit usually works fine for me until I get to heavy/bulky items. High traffic businesses get volume discounts on shipping, I like to use the ones that work with passing some of that savings on to me. On the vendor side, what bothers me is the unwillingness of some to even consider helping the customer out. IMO it's not too much to ask to ship something USPS, which is usually what I try to have done as the savings is massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
I have shipped USPS Flat Rate all over the country. I once mailed a 70# Pillow Block Bearing to a machine shop so they could build a slip fit spindle from 4130 ground and polished hardened steel... It fit in a USPS Flat Rate box and was under the maximum weight allowed, so it went for $8.95 at the time. The postal worker had quite a time moving that box around!

Maybe we should work out a trade - shipping from the L48 for some Alaska King Salmon or King Crab...
Flat rate is my best friend, however, some places just flat out refuse to do it. Don't ask me why as I have cash ready if they would!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Super_Dave

... I just got my tracking number for the inner fender and imagine my surprise when it was a UPS Ground tracking number!

I guess that blows the "it has to ship truck freight because of it's size" and "UPS won't handle this size" arguments clean out of the water (which I was told yesterday from the $230 shipping vendor).

Honesty and Integrity 21st Century Style...

----------------------------------------------------

Also, I just received a reply from the other 'affordable' shipping vendor that the part was Out of Stock for an indefinite time (Inventory on Hand is a tough nut to crack for smaller vendors). So, it looks like my 2+ hours paid off with an order that will arrive in 3-5 business days... for $30 shipping.

Last edited by Super_Dave; 05-19-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #19
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Local napa.
6 minutes on the phone for an extension housing gasket, with my provided part number.
No wonder I spend so much on ebay.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
74CustomK20

Honestly my inner fenders from lmc aren't bad, and all the holes lined up. About the only good part from them I've gotten. Electrical parts are another story, though.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #21
barry1982

Im not saying all.... but a lot of vendor's are using "shipping" as a scam to elevate their prices. I have called a few of them on it too.... (doesn't help.... but made me feel a little better ) Pays to shop around though.... maybe if enough Guys buy from Vendors with "realistic" shipping.... the others will get the hint.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #22
Super_Dave

After reordering my inner fenders from LMC on Thursday, I was told today, when cancelling my back order, that Summit moved their in stock condition from 6/16 to 5/20... today. Never got an email notifying me of the change and their website has two different dates... but I already have the fender in transit. Oh well, win some and lose some.

Last edited by Super_Dave; 05-21-2016 at 01:43 PM.