The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
ltrrtl

71 longbed looking for exhaust

I live in southern Illinois close to StL
My truck has a 350 grate, edelbrock performer intake, 600 edelbrock carb.
Need dual exhaust system that will sound great, perform great, allow wife and I to enjoy the ride. But also let people know we are coming, we are here and hear us when we leave. Been thinking flow master 40 or 44 with H pipe and dumping out before or after rear wheels. Looking for best price and advise on me installing the system with clamps or taking to someone to weld it together. What size pipe etc.... lay it on me with good solid recommendations. Also and video / sound clips would be nice.
ltrrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
'68 Newtricks

Re: 71 longbed looking for exhaust

Everyone has different opinions of what muffler to use, so I'll say try to get the mufflers under the bed and the tailpipes over the rear axle. It sounds better and moves vibration and noise farther back instead of right under that cab
Old 05-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
ltrrtl

Thanks for that input. I am trying to find a kit that routes that way and I will clamp it together. Muffler shops around here want way to much to bend. /custom fit and weld.
ltrrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Ironangel

You can try these from LMC, http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=157
Or if you had headers you could go with one of the Thrush kits, http://www.thrushexhaust.com/
I've been using the Thrush Welded Turbo mufflers for several years now and like the low sound level and then it's game on when you step o0n it. I agree with what's been said, keep the mufflers under the bed and the dumps behind the the rear axle and drone will be kept to a minimum. I have two 72's, one SB and one BB, both have headers with "Header Back" systems I installed myself. Having a wire welder or a friend with a wire welder helps. I've also had good luck buying my exhaust pipe in 10' sections from the local muffler shop and have them put a series of four 45* degree bends in one end of one section and cut & fit them at home. That only works if you have a welder at home...~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Hack71

Smile Re: 71 longbed looking for exhaust

I'm looking for the same, currently I have 350 w/Ram Horn Manifolds and Glass packs (unknown brand) and it dumps before the axle), the sound is ok but the drone drives me crazy. Looking for a cleaner tighter sound and less drone. I will keep the Ram Horns put the mufflers under the bed and tail pipes out the rear I've been quoted $6-800 manifold back 2.5" pretty much any muffler installed. I'm thinking Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow or Thrush Welded. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Lowenuf

I am running a '72 LWB with a fresh 355/700r4, full length ceramic coated Hooker Headers, 3" stainless all the way out the back, with Thrush turbos tucked under the bed in front of the axle, exits under roll pan for now, but i am going to change the tails to dump like a COPO camaro did behind the wheels.....

Also plan to add an X pipe before the mufflers...
Lowenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrrtl View Post
Thanks for that input. I am trying to find a kit that routes that way and I will clamp it together. Muffler shops around here want way to much to bend. /custom fit and weld.
My local shop charged me $300 to run the pipe and I had my own mufflers. That was for running 2 1/2 pipe out the back with chrome tips. I used these Thrust mufflers and they have a great sound when accelerating but are quiet while cruising along.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrush-Welde...RW~q2h&vxp=mtr
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
hdff

I used dynomax welded on my big block. Had 40 flowmasters dumped before the axle when I bought it , way to loud in the cab for me. Dynomax out behind the tires is perfect for this old teenager.

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
rharp

I just had mine redone after my suspension overhaul. I have a 350 crate engine with new Heddman mid-length headers and I reused my 40 Series Flowmasters. I installed the headers and had a local exhaust shop run new 2.5" pipe, tucking it as high as possible, and dumping right before the rear bumper. I also had them add an h-pipe before the mufflers. They charged me $290. This gave my truck an aggressive, muscle-car sound on the outside, but it's very tolerable inside the cab. In fact, my 2 year old son was kind of bummed that it wasn't as loud anymore. (The exhaust was dumping right before the rear axle housing and the drone was miserable inside the cab in low RPM's.)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
rharp

Let's try this again. Here's a couple pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #11
tdangle

My dad had glass packs installed with pipes angled to the sides of the bed just in front of the rear wheels. I did not like the sound exiting each side, stopped by a muffler shop and for $150 they put 2 of the largest mufflers they had with dumps in front of the rear axle. Sounds way better, is quieter but still fairly loud outside of the cab.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote