The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Door components removal, such as for the roll-up window

Lots of information on this website, but I could use some clarification/confirmation. I'm removing everything from the doors "next week" (Sure hope it doesn't take a week HA!). It would be a very bad day to break a window. I've already removed the inside door panels and door locks. Sorry for all the questions, which are in blue font. My primary concern is how to remove the roll-up window and regulator. Thank you for any comments/advice:

Should I remove the door latch and door handles before the windows? The inside door handles are on without the interior panels in place.

There appears to various approaches, but would you agree the roll-up window should be removed before the vent window?

Is the window channel the felt piece that runs from the top of the roll-up window to inside the door to the vent window?

I’ve read from various posts to “remove the rear window channel”. What is this?

The following seems to be the best instructions I've found (thanks LocDoc). Any comments or additions?

1. Remove the inner and outer window sweeps. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with them in place).

2. Pull the door window channel out of the door frame at the top by the wing window. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with it in place).

3. Remove the two ¼” machine screws at the bottom of the "rear" window channel and the ¼” machine screw from the top of the "rear" window channel by the door latch. You can leave the channel in the door but push it back in the corner.

4. If you are replacing the window felt channel pull it all out starting up by the top of the wing window.

5. Roll the door window down and slide it back away from the wing window.
Does this mean the window should be raised all the way up for the steps 2 through 4? Can the window be removed at this point?

I'm not too concerned about removing the vent window. From what I can tell this should be pretty simple if the roll-up window is removed first. Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Door components removal, such as for the roll-up window

This should help:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...j5S9bmD5xAc4bg

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Answers between questions (in Black type).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Lots of information on this website, but I could use some clarification/confirmation. I'm removing everything from the doors "next week" (Sure hope it doesn't take a week HA!). It would be a very bad day to break a window. I've already removed the inside door panels and door locks. Sorry for all the questions, which are in blue font. My primary concern is how to remove the roll-up window and regulator. Thank you for any comments/advice:

Should I remove the door latch and door handles before the windows? The inside door handles are on without the interior panels in place.

Not necessary to remove the door latch and door handles.

There appears to various approaches, but would you agree the roll-up window should be removed before the vent window?

Not removed but slid back per instructions.

Is the window channel the felt piece that runs from the top of the roll-up window to inside the door to the vent window?

That would be the main felt window channel. When it goes down inside the door in the rear it fits into the "Rear" metal window channel that is screwed to the back of the door with three 1/4" machine screws. One machine screw is on the back of the door by the latch and the other two are on the inside of the door under the inner panel. The front window channel is part of the wing window.

I’ve read from various posts to “remove the rear window channel”. What is this?

See above reply.

The following seems to be the best instructions I've found (thanks LocDoc). Any comments or additions?

1. Remove the inner and outer window sweeps. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with them in place).

2. Pull the door window channel out of the door frame at the top by the wing window. (You can’t pull the wing window back to get it out of the door frame with it in place).

3. Remove the two ¼” machine screws at the bottom of the "rear" window channel and the ¼” machine screw from the top of the "rear" window channel by the door latch. You can leave the channel in the door but push it back in the corner.

4. If you are replacing the window felt channel pull it all out starting up by the top of the wing window.

5. Roll the door window down and slide it back away from the wing window.
Does this mean the window should be raised all the way up for the steps 2 through 4? Can the window be removed at this point?

It can be all the way down or part way up for 2-4. The wing window has to be removed to get the door glass out.

I'm not too concerned about removing the vent window. From what I can tell this should be pretty simple if the roll-up window is removed first. Thank you.
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-24-2016 at 02:06 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
davepl

In my notes for my teardown on my frame-off, I have a little margin note ala Fermat that the shop manual actually provides good and useful steps for this. Which is not my way of saying RTFM, just HALATM.

(Have a look at the manual) if you have one. It helped me in this case!

Here were my steps, for what they're worth:

Remove outside mirrors
Remove driver's door panel
Remove window regulators and lock hangles
Remove vent windows
Remove main glass from doors
Remove regulators from doors
Unclip 2 rods from each door latch
Remove latch
Remove pull knob from lock rod
Remove handle rod and armature
Remove door handle
Remove chrome strip from inside of door
Remove Custom Camper emblems from doors
Remove cowl to cab seals
Remove door with hinges still attached to doors
Remove door strikers - count shims
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a bunch for the responses.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Great info!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Pulled my vent window out. It's real simple and not a lick of rust. I had more trouble with the sweeps. I'm removing the components from one door at a time, so the next one is easy.

I've read where some had trouble clearing the vent window from the roll-up window. That's simply a case of the window not being pulled back to the rear door (thanks doc). It should come out smoothly and not contact a thing. The only jiggling I did was to loosen the vent out of the corner. Here's an excellent video. The second video (6th post down) isn't quite as good IMO, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMKPuS1NJQ

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423022

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-29-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Though I appreciate a thread referenced above, I don't believe it's quite correct. You roll the regulator up above the bottom of the window frame, then slide the window out of the regulator. Just like the guy did in that "second video" per my last post, only there's no reason to use the tool he's using to do it.

I bumped this thread hoping for some suggestions. I figure I can sleep nights using OER window regulators if they're made well. Any suggestions for good quality?

Also, for years I thought my felt channels had broken off near the top front of the window frame. Turns out the felt wasn't glued onto the bracket for the RH door. Should it be? Should they have been glued on from factory? I haven't gotten to the LH door yet, but I think it's safe to say it's not glued on either, beings 8"-10" of it are laying on the bottom of the door.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
slikside

sub'd.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Though I appreciate a thread referenced above, I don't believe it's quite correct. You roll the regulator up above the bottom of the window frame, then slide the window out of the regulator. Just like the guy did in that "second video" per my last post, only there's no reason to use the tool he's using to do it.

I bumped this thread hoping for some suggestions. I figure I can sleep nights using OER window regulators if they're made well. Any suggestions for good quality?

Also, for years I thought my felt channels had broken off near the top front of the window frame. Turns out the felt wasn't glued onto the bracket for the RH door. Should it be? Should they have been glued on from factory? I haven't gotten to the LH door yet, but I think it's safe to say it's not glued on either, beings 8"-10" of it are laying on the bottom of the door.

I can't help on the regulators.

I have never glued my felt channels in, they have always fit tight enough to stay in. I also don't recall having taken one apart that was glued.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks doc.