The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #26
FirstOwner69

Re: Where do I find used Gear Vendor over/under?

Here are 2 for TH400s in Phoenix. Second one is never installed.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/5614793002.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/5572663321.html
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
dazza

If you end up buying one near Phoenix, I'll be down there for a week around the 15th and could pick it up for you if it will save you shipping. I'm sure it won't be cheap.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #28
72MARIO

If i was to get a Od gear again I would never use a gear vendors. I had to take my perfectly balanced drive shaft and use plumbing hose clamps to get the driveline vibiration under control. I have dumped thousands into getting it nearly smooth. Now the solenoid is being called "lazy" and GV wants $150 plus shipping for a replacement. Getting parts is difficult and expensive here in Canada

The cool factory didnt last long with it not working properly. Especially when spending $3000+++ on it I am far from impressed

I had advice not to use a gear vendors from a older gentleman that owned a transmission shop. He said why do you want a second transmission to worry about maintaining ? his advise was to use a 4l80
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD

Last edited by 72MARIO; 06-02-2016 at 11:37 PM.
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #29
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
If you end up buying one near Phoenix, I'll be down there for a week around the 15th and could pick it up for you if it will save you shipping. I'm sure it won't be cheap.
I'm gonna email that guy in Phoenix about the used one, thanks for your willingness to help out man!

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #30
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Any idea what the big metal box looking part is on it?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #31
dazza

on the first one? the box on the right? looks like he has it laying sideways and thats the oil pan.
---- ----
Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 AM   #32
wbc409

There are 2 different cases that the gear vendors can be purchased with. There is a standard one, and one with a larger sump for extra fluid capacity. The one with the larger sump is recommended for RV'S and tow vehicles.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #33
Mrturner1

Ok so the guy said on the used one he bought a truck with a 502 that has a rod knocking and he's parting it out, and he will pull the wiring/switches out with it. If I remember correctly there is some kind of junction box or relay that I'll need with it right? He said he will pay shipping if I use PayPal, which is fine with me if he's offering, I just want to make sure I'm not going to need a 3-400 dollar wiring harness and relay kit from gear vendor on top of the 1000 bucks he's asking. He never drove the truck but said these units are indestructible so he's sure it works, kinda makes me nervous but it sounds like he's bein honest
Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #34
Mrturner1

That box is the oil sump, which I don't think should give me and problems because my truck isn't lowered
Old 06-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #35
Mrturner1

So the guy has been looking all day and he says he can't find any of the wiring or the relays for the overdrive unit, is there some kind of wiring kit I could get from gear vendor to make this thing work? How much would it cost me to get the gear in my truck and operating if it doesn't come with any of the wiring or switches? And also should I ask for a lesser price since I'll be having to purchase wiring to make it work?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #36
Mrturner1

Can't find any wiring kits for these anywhere. I'm gonna try calling Gear Vendor today, maybe they sell the stuff separately
Old 06-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #37
72MARIO

Well if you have your heart set on buying one. check out maximum overdrive on the net he also supplies laylock parts
The deep sump sits above the transmission crossmember

I wish you were closer so you could see first hand what I have had to deal with using this OD unit
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #38
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
So the guy has been looking all day and he says he can't find any of the wiring or the relays for the overdrive unit, is there some kind of wiring kit I could get from gear vendor to make this thing work? How much would it cost me to get the gear in my truck and operating if it doesn't come with any of the wiring or switches? And also should I ask for a lesser price since I'll be having to purchase wiring to make it work?
defo... find out what the wiring harness goes for from GV and take that off the price. Doesn't hurt to try.
---- ----
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #39
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Can't find any wiring kits for these anywhere. I'm gonna try calling Gear Vendor today, maybe they sell the stuff separately
The main part you need is the electronic box and the switch with the red and green light. these lights tell it when to shift. There is a speed sensor that goes in between your speedo and the unit. the switch to turn it on and off is just a dimmer switch on the floor. I got a B&M handle with a button in it to turn mine on and off. You will also need to give Gear Vendors your tire size and rear gear ratio to get the correct speedo gear that goes in the unit. If the guy doesn't have the brain and red/green light switch you may be better off buying the one that hasn't been installed as it has all the parts with it. There are also some shims that go between the trans and adapter to get the correct spacing. As for the drive shaft you will need to find a good drive line shop to set it up so you get the right angles and have it balanced. My drive shaft is less than three feet long and there is over four inches difference from the rear end to the output on my OD. I paid $400 for that shaft but my truck will go down the road at 80 MPH with zero vibration
Old 06-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #40
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
The main part you need is the electronic box and the switch with the red and green light. these lights tell it when to shift. There is a speed sensor that goes in between your speedo and the unit. the switch to turn it on and off is just a dimmer switch on the floor. I got a B&M handle with a button in it to turn mine on and off. You will also need to give Gear Vendors your tire size and rear gear ratio to get the correct speedo gear that goes in the unit. If the guy doesn't have the brain and red/green light switch you may be better off buying the one that hasn't been installed as it has all the parts with it. There are also some shims that go between the trans and adapter to get the correct spacing. As for the drive shaft you will need to find a good drive line shop to set it up so you get the right angles and have it balanced. My drive shaft is less than three feet long and there is over four inches difference from the rear end to the output on my OD. I paid $400 for that shaft but my truck will go down the road at 80 MPH with zero vibration
Yeah I told the guy that without those electronics I'd have to sink some extra money into it and I threw out a new price, to which he said he'd only knock 100 bucks off the price. I found one in Redding and it just so happens I'll be working there next week. I texted the guy and he said all the parts are there so I'm hoping that he doesn't sell it before I get over there.