The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
custom10nut

Grill paint lines

Someone just recently posted pictures of "original" vs "aftermarket" paint lines at the ends. If you look at the picture I posted, it shows my unmolested "original" outer grill shell.
I don't want to start a war, but the pictures posted before would say mine is aftermarket.
And. It begins
Attached Images

custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
BlueBullet

Re: Grill paint lines

I was wondering the thing because my grill on my low millage K20 firetruck looks like your grill also.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753294
BlueBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Either aftermarket or a GM service parts replacement used as early as May, 1972 (when mine was replaced after someone hit me).
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
custom10nut

I see now. After I posted, I went back and found the other post, and I agree that mine is probably a factory replacement . Mine of course, doesn't have the lines to the headlights, and I notice that the top and bottom ribs also continue. Now I want one. Not that I would give up my grill, but I wish it was the original. As I've said before, I've often suspected that my truck had been in an accident long before it came to me. Soon I'm going to take it off and go through the process of polishing it to its former glory.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I see now. After I posted, I went back and found the other post, and I agree that mine is probably a factory replacement . Mine of course, doesn't have the lines to the headlights, and I notice that the top and bottom ribs also continue. Now I want one. Not that I would give up my grill, but I wish it was the original. As I've said before, I've often suspected that my truck had been in an accident long before it came to me. Soon I'm going to take it off and go through the process of polishing it to its former glory.
You can make it look more like the original by removing the excessive black paint at the ends and along the horizontal depressions as seen in this pic of mine. I also thought about extending the black lines but they would not be in depressed areas at that point.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 06-05-2016 at 10:27 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Someone just recently posted pictures of "original" vs "aftermarket" paint lines at the ends. If you look at the picture I posted, it shows my unmolested "original" outer grill shell.
I don't want to start a war, but the pictures posted before would say mine is aftermarket.
And. It begins

I posted the comparison picture. Yes your grill has been replaced.

Another tell tale sign of you grille having been replace is the pop rivets used in the areas around the headlight buckets. They're easy to spot since they are bare aluminum. GM used smooth rounded head rivets at those spots and they were black dots in a black painted line. On many original trucks where the black lines have worn away the factory rivets appear as black dots.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 06-05-2016 at 11:58 PM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote