The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
old cool

Question kyb shock installation on '66 looks incorrect

Hello Forum,
I recently purchased 4 new kyb shocks (344068 front, 344085 rear). I think this has an obvious answer, but I want to throw it out there to those who have actually installed shocks on the 64-66 half ton.
1. the installer did not not use the upper bolt, nuts, washers, and sleeve that came with new shocks - front. He used correct size bolts from his bucket.
2. none of the shocks fit squarely in the brackets. but, it doesnt appear the brackets would allow any more tightening. more washers maybe??
3. yesterday i made a sharp left turn at about 15 mph. I hit a very slight dip in road (not even visible) from drivers seat. There was a loud clunk that came from from left front.
4.this was a 1 step forward 3 back. Tomorrow i have an appointment for a wheel alignment. I thought Id throw out the shock dilemma before getting it aligned though I dont feel alignment should be cancelled because of shocks.
5. the appearance looks so incompetant i dont even want to take it back.
6.HELP
old cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
forestb

Re: kyb shock installation on '66 looks incorrect

I think pictures will be needed for a good diagnosis.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
ChrisDollins

Re: kyb shock installation on '66 looks incorrect

Definitely need pics. But I've had to retighten both front mounts to the frame. Not sure why they came loose, but after I lowered the truck and installed new shocks. The drivers did it last year, and the passenger did it about a month ago. I just tightened the cap out of them and they stopped. This is the mounting bolt moving in the hole in the frame.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote