The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Bubba4spd

Question to the past successful frame off restoration guys.

Approx. how much more money and time does it take to actually complete a project than you projected it would in the beginning? I have a 68 swb that I would love to dive into but it does need a lot of work and I know to fully enjoy driving it, I will need to upgrade the 3 spd manual to a 5, and of course 5 lug patter, air, power steering etc. From reading through build threads, several years to complete is not uncommon.Name:  1968 Stepside.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  60.2 KB
Bubba4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: Question to the past successful frame off restoration guys.

Always tough to determine the time, money it will take to complete a project, 2 yrs is a decent goal. Money, family, work, time. Good to keep busy, this is a hobby you can drive and enjoy. Also each build is unique, cost is what you want, need it to be. Probably 2k to get a basic no frills driver. My Blazer sat for almost 15 yrs before I got time and money to work on it....OH ....BTW.. its never done.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
bs46488

I agree, its hard to say.

You got a couple of big projects already lined up. 5 speed is not going to be cheap. For the 5 lug conversion are you also looking to do disk brakes, etc.

Are you doing the work yourself or paying a shop?

Time is the hard part to predict. Other things always get in the way. I'm sure if I just worked on the truck, I could get it done quickly, but then there is soccer, birthday parties, weddings, life stuff, etc etc

Are you also considering body work and paint into this project?
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Bubba4spd

Would love to do most all the work myself. Time is not a huge factor as long as I make steady progress. What I hate is when I get off a project for 3 - 6 months. Really hard for me to get back motivated and involved again. These guys that take 5 years to finish after going through several extended "time away" periods really amaze me. They have my full respect.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
notsolo

I would get it running as is 1st, Make it safe, check brakes, tires etc, then clean it up, There are 6 lug disc brake kits, I like the wheels. Not knowing your skills etc, Then jump on an upgrade you want to tackle 1 at a time, You get to drive it and the down time is manageable. Just my 2 cents.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Bubba4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I would get it running as is 1st, Make it safe, check brakes, tires etc, then clean it up, There are 6 lug disc brake kits, I like the wheels. Not knowing your skills etc, Then jump on an upgrade you want to tackle 1 at a time, You get to drive it and the down time is manageable. Just my 2 cents.
You read my mind, on my drive out to work this morning, I made the decision to do just that. I'll get her up back on her feet and running first. Then decide which way to go. Heck she may be happy just staying an old dog.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
54belair

Red face Re: Question to the past successful frame off restoration guys.

Ive done a few resto's before this one on my truck--so I thought I knew what to expect. This truck was my first "Every nut, bolt and screw" resto.
I honestly don't know where Im at on money spent. I do know Im way over budget and my initial goal on a time frame was no more than two years.
Im currently in my fourth year. With luck Ill have it done by early fall (this year!!) Life does have a way of getting in the way of finishing your project.
If you have to allocate funds for the truck on a month to month basis, my recommendation would be to Not start a major resto. Instead, make a list of several smaller projects, prioritize them under "Need to do" and "Want to do", and when figuring your budget--always figure "worst case" rather than best case. I absolutely amazed myself on how badly I misfigured this project.
Even though I don't have an accurate accounting of costs so far--I do have every receipt and some day (when Im finished), Ill do the final accounting. I am relatively sure that Im hovering around Double of my original estimate on cost. My link to my build thread is here, if you read it you can get an idea how things can balloon .
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
shores6

It all depends on what you want out of your truck. I planned and planned and planned some more on my build. And no matter how much you plan, in the end there will always be something that you didnt budget for. I thought I could build a truck ground up (LS, PB fab suspension) for roughly $30k. Best of a lot of parts not skipping any corners. I blew right past that budget with a lot more left to spend :/ As far as a timeline, thats a hard question to answer. My biggest problem with a frame off is that it is so easy to get overwhelmed. Every now and then I get discouraged with mine, and I simply take a step back from it for a little bit. Just remember, building trucks is supposed to be as fun as driving them. Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself by creating a time frame and feeling under the gun to try to meet it. Thats how corners get cut and mistakes get made.
shores6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #9
Bubba4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
Ive done a few resto's before this one on my truck--so I thought I knew what to expect. This truck was my first "Every nut, bolt and screw" resto.
I honestly don't know where Im at on money spent. I do know Im way over budget and my initial goal on a time frame was no more than two years.
Im currently in my fourth year. With luck Ill have it done by early fall (this year!!) Life does have a way of getting in the way of finishing your project.
If you have to allocate funds for the truck on a month to month basis, my recommendation would be to Not start a major resto. Instead, make a list of several smaller projects, prioritize them under "Need to do" and "Want to do", and when figuring your budget--always figure "worst case" rather than best case. I absolutely amazed myself on how badly I misfigured this project.
Even though I don't have an accurate accounting of costs so far--I do have every receipt and some day (when Im finished), Ill do the final accounting. I am relatively sure that Im hovering around Double of my original estimate on cost. My link to my build thread is here, if you read it you can get an idea how things can balloon .
54belair- Thank you for your response, very much what I was looking for. Unless your profession is auto restoration (just thinking out loud here) I would think being 50% low on cost and a year or more off on time is very understandable. Yes I have read through your build and your doing an awesome job. Glad you have had the grit to stay with it, the end is in sight!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #10
Bubba4spd

[QUOTE=shores6;7620255]It all depends on what you want out of your truck. I planned and planned and planned some more on my build. And no matter how much you plan, in the end there will always be something that you didnt budget for. I thought I could build a truck ground up (LS, PB fab suspension) for roughly $30k. Best of a lot of parts not skipping any corners. I blew right past that budget with a lot more left to spend :/ As far as a timeline, thats a hard question to answer. My biggest problem with a frame off is that it is so easy to get overwhelmed. Every now and then I get discouraged with mine, and I simply take a step back from it for a little bit. Just remember, building trucks is supposed to be as fun as driving them. Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself by creating a time frame and feeling under the gun to try to meet it. Thats how corners get cut and mistakes get made.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your reply. Yes your right, the build does need to be fun. Your post has been very helpful and much appreciated. The more I read and learn, the more I am convinced that this particular truck is not right for me to invest the time and money into for a full restoration. Had it been my grandfathers and we used to go fishing together in it, yeah that would be different.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #11
GR8-68

I feel each build is unique in its own way, more often than not plans change part way through also. I started my build in 09 and it is still a frame sitting in the building. I have bought a number of parts right here through the forum and also a number of parts on craigslist. I am now close to having enough parts to make it a rolling chassis As far as your question that will have to be answered by you. Finances, work, kids and especially the wife all play a factor in time frame and ability in finishing up a project and also how deep do you want to go with it. Also play out the factor of where do I want to do this. Do you have a garage, carport or do you have to do it in your drive way?
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #12
GR8-68

By the way it looks like a great start you have there. I like it !!
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote