The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
jskeezy84

need help with door hinges mounting bracket

I pulled my doors off today in preparation for doing the floor pans, rocker, etc etc... and in doing so found out that the door hinge bolts are stripped along with the bracket that is behind the cab pillar that hinge bolts bolt to, if that makes sense. Where can I find this plate that is mounted inside the pillar the door hinges bolt to? Anyone ever repaired this before and have any tips? I'm on mobile so I'll post pics tomorrow if no one can understand what piece im talking about.
jskeezy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Tazimafied

Re: need help with door hinges mounting bracket

I would try a helicoil first. If that didn't work replacing the plates behind the jamb would be my next step.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #3
vince1

Sometimes just running a tap through and new bolts might help. Grade 8 might be a slightly tighter fit but not sure. I am not up on metric but maybe they have one slightly larger that you could tap for. Other than that, as suggested above, use a helicoil but they are expensive for a one shot deal.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Those bolt plates are not reproduced. You will have to either repair the ones you have, replace them with good used ones, or make new ones yourself. Where in Washington are you located. I should have some good used ones, if you are on the ease side of the state.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
jskeezy84

The helicoil looks slick. How well would that hold up to tightening and loosening repeatedly when it comes time to rehang the doors? I may just make new plates though. Would regular mild steel be ok or are these pieces tempered since they have to hold the weight of a door?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
jskeezy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Those bolt plates are not reproduced. You will have to either repair the ones you have, replace them with good used ones, or make new ones yourself. Where in Washington are you located. I should have some good used ones, if you are on the ease side of the state.
Im from Washington Missouri, quite a ways away.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
vince1

I just looked it up and surprising to me is that a helicoil kit on Amazon.com is only about $20. That repair is known to be as strong as original. I don't remember the size, 5/16 or 3/8?
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Metalaroundstone

I used high carbon, key locking, Recoil brand threaded inserts for the stripped treads on my truck. These inserts are bullet proof and you would have no problem taking the door bolts in and out multiple times as you adjust the doors. You just drill out the hole with a 1/2-13 tap, screw in the insert, and then tap down the keys. I found that I did not have to use the special tool to lock in the keys. I just carfully hammered them in with a small hammer and a punch. I got them at MSC.
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
Tazimafied

Helicoils would hold up just fine to the use. I have used them in several applications including trans pan and diff cover bolts without issues. Although the locking threaded inserts do look pretty slick and a bit stronger. I guess it boils down to how much you want to spend.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote