The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Another C20 Suspension Question

Hello All:

I am looking for ways to make my 67 C20 ride better while I am keeping my 8 lug wheels. For some reasons I like them 8 lugs! I have already converted to all around disc brakes and put on the 2005 8 lugs wheels from my 2005 2500 Duramax. I know this is a 67 3/4 ton trucks and I don't expect to get a modern sedan ride but I am looking for some improvements. These are what I am hoping to accomplish:

- Stock heights
- Level the front and back
- Improve the ride since this is not going to be a work truck anymore
- Keep my 8 lung wheels and disc breaks.

Is there any upgrades for springs and shocks (can I just use softer 1/2 ton ones)? I have never installed bags but would that help?

The truck has rear traction bar, coil springs, half leaf and shocks.

Thanks
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
earl84

Re: Another C20 Suspension Question

I have a 66 C20, and while I wouldn't say it rode great, it is definitely better than I started. I put in 2" CPP drop springs up front and D2600 bags in the rear with Schrader valves. It still has a bit of a rake to it, so it isn't level, but not as much rake as stock. I run 40-45 psi in the bags, and I have a 454 for an engine, so the springs are probably compressed a little more than usual. Had to remove the front bump stops, and shaved the readers about 1-1/2". Oh, and I have about 1" spring cups on the back, which made it a bit easier to mount on the frame rail.
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but thought it might be useful.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
ranger danger

Re: Another C20 Suspension Question

I have a 69' Suburban. I put new OEM Moog springs all around as well as a disc brake conversion with all new AC Delco Pro series ball joints and tie rod ends. The best single thing I did to help the ride quality was to install 4 KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks. It helped the ride tremendously!!! If that's not good enough, there is a spring shop in Dixon Ca called Valley Springs. He told me he could make progressive rate springs in any progression I wanted. The way he explained it was that he could make the spring nice and soft through the first 25% of the load. Then get more and more rigid as load is applied. As I recall, they were more than the Moog's but not all that pricey.
Attached Images

US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote