The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Water Pump Rebuilder

I simply hate the parts store stock short water pumps. They have become a generic "one fits all" pump with the ugly knob that sticks up on top with the 3/4" pipe thread. So us SBC guys have to put an ugly plug in there. Just detracts from the appearance of the front of the engine if you ask me. You can see from the pics of what I mean. The orange pump is the one off of my engine now. It is a parts store special that only after about 2,500 miles is leaking coolant from the weep hole. Plus it's ugly as a mud fence. The unpainted pump is the one I want to have rebuilt. They do have the same fan hub, so that will work with what I have.

I can't even remember back if when I bought my 1972 GMC C15, if it had an original pump in it, or a reman. Anyhoo... I've been pack-ratting a couple of old water pumps around for 30 years and want to use one on my rig now. The one short pump I have is a "608" pump with a date code that puts it October of 1965 I believe. I don't care about the date code, but just the fact that it doesn't have the ugly knob sticking up on top.

So I told you all that... just to ask you this... I'm looking for a decent water pump rebuilder close to Seattle, WA or to the North. I don't mind sending it off somewhere. But it would be nice to just drive somewhere local. Anybody have any info on something close? I found Flying Dutchman Pump Rebuilders out of Oregon, but it's just a bit too far south for a drive.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Water Pump Rebuilder

I've had good results from reading hemmings motor news just browse and pick one that is local to you for a rebuilder
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
burnin oil

If you look around you might find a rebuild kit and do it yourself. I remember finding a corvette place that sold all those funny rebuild kits for the old stuff. I lost the link though when my computer crashed. It cant be all that hard, especially if you have access to a press.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
cleszkie

You could ship it to China, India, or Mexico for a cost-effective rebuild, with questionable quality components, performed by children, in a dirt floor factory. Oh, wait, that's what the parts stores do
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
MARKDTN

I have had a CARQUEST send one for a '60 Cadillac to Cardone for a rebuild. It was OK. I would look at the Corvette suppliers. One of them probably does it in USA. A quick search shows:

http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/about/
or
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...d-service.aspx
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
mike16

as stated above. a rebuilder from Hemmigs Motor News. Or one who advertises in NCRS magazine
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Check out RockAuto. Carbone Select #5511167H. Only 1 left.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
chewychevy67

That port is used in 65 to 67 327 truck engines as a water pump bypass. Not the best picture but you can see the hose under the smog pump.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

As a couple have mentioned above I'll have to check out Hemmings. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Check out RockAuto. Carbone Select #5511167H. Only 1 left.
The pic only shows the bottom of the pump, so not sure if it has that bypass port or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
That port is used in 65 to 67 327 truck engines as a water pump bypass. Not the best picture but you can see the hose under the smog pump.
I learned something new today as I thought that was BBC bypass port since the pump will fit both SBC and BBC. Thanks for that!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The pic only shows the bottom of the pump, so not sure if it has that bypass port or not.
There are several pics of the pump if you click on the small pic. They also give the casting number which I am 99% sure is the type pump you want.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I see said the blind man! I didn't see the little arrows letting you select more pics. Thanks!

Only problem is the fan hub isn't the correct one.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
midniteblues

A BBC pump and sbc pump are not the same.
They look similar but they are dimensionly differnt.

I recently got a swp for a sbc with the ugly knob so I can relate too your issue with them
it's cool your gonna get a older one rebuilt I'm sure it's a way better casting To start with.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I see said the blind man! I didn't see the little arrows letting you select more pics. Thanks!

Only problem is the fan hub isn't the correct one.

Gary
The hub looks the same as all I've had with only 4 holes. What do you see different? I'm sure having yours rebuilt will likely cost a lot more. If you want me to look trough the NCRS "Driveline" for rebuilders, I can.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Redline novdog

Sorry can't resist . I would not mind rebuilding my own short water pump. I know this thread is about a reputable rebuilder, Be nice to know where you can get parts for these pumps???? Sounds like a Saturday afternoon project. If you fail go buy a $20 pump until you get it right! At work they call them opportunities !!!!

Last edited by Redline novdog; 06-11-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: memeory .My '67 has a "hump" hose from intake to water pump where your top fitting is
Redline novdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
dirtyjim

just google automotive water pump rebuilders and your state. or talk to a napa or another autoparts store, stay away from vatozone, AA, etc., as the question would probably confuse them if its not in their computer. I've had tractor water pumps rebuild a few times when replacements weren't available or were a ridiculous price.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
A BBC pump and sbc pump are not the same.
They look similar but they are dimensionly differnt.

I recently got a swp for a sbc with the ugly knob so I can relate too your issue with them
it's cool your gonna get a older one rebuilt I'm sure it's a way better casting To start with.
I've been a SBC guy for all these years. I thought the water pumps from the SBC's fit the BBC's as well. I love to learn more and more as I continue working on old rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
The hub looks the same as all I've had with only 4 holes. What do you see different? I'm sure having yours rebuilt will likely cost a lot more. If you want me to look trough the NCRS "Driveline" for rebuilders, I can.
The 2 pumps I have in the thread pics both have dual bolt patterns and 8 holes. My fan uses the wider of the 2 so the hubs with only 4 holes won't line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Sorry can't resist . I would not mind rebuilding my own short water pump. I know this thread is about a reputable rebuilder, Be nice to know where you can get parts for these pumps???? Sounds like a Saturday afternoon project. If you fail go buy a $20 pump until you get it right! At work they call them opportunities !!!!
If I had a press, or access to a press, I'd try rebuilding this on my own. My rig is torn down right now, so I have a lot of time to get this done. It's been on my to-do list to use this old pump for about 25 years! I'm curious as to the quality of rebuild parts as well now...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
Redline novdog

I realize the you want it to work. I have never done it and am very curious! if it can be done with c-clamps or a vise.Anybody???