The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #26
72kool

Re: need help please

ok brake calipers and pads are installed. i turned the wheel back and forth while on the lift and also when on the ground but nothing seemed to go out of place nor hit anything..im hoping that the brakes fixed it. so far after a ten minute drive no noise
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #27
big bad orange

in my 86 f150 I had the same thing going on. Turns out that the floor where it meets the firewall(the joint was covered in seam sealer). I could not see it from the top i had to get under the cab and push it up and down.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #28
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
ok brake calipers and pads are installed. i turned the wheel back and forth while on the lift and also when on the ground but nothing seemed to go out of place nor hit anything..im hoping that the brakes fixed it. so far after a ten minute drive no noise
Fingers crossed.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #29
72kool

Well no more noise so far drove it home from work and so far so good. Driving it again tomorrow and will see. Now i need to figure why the right rear drum adjuster wont hold.keeps locking up
Old 03-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #30
72kool

well now i am truly puzzled. i have replaced the front brake calipers and pads and still have the knocking. after driving it around town this past week thoe, it appears that wheel rotation does affect it. i guess i will try new rotors next. i have not replaced them yet becuase they had good thickness and not the normal signs of any warpage. the bearings looked in great shape when i repacked them recently. should i replace those anyways just to take them off the list while im in there? also any more ideas?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #31
Mike_The_Grad

If you're still having issues, one thing i have yet to see mentioned,as there is hardly any reason to think that it would be possible, well for me at least, is the front frame reinforcing crossmember. Im talking about the one just in front of the suspension crossmember that supports the engine. Its kinda "V" shaped and is riveted to the frame. Right below where the pulleys would be. On my truck (1972 c10 350/350) the rivets have come slightly loose. When i start it up in the morning its rock solid. After a little road time and a few pot holes, that thing sounds as if the suspension was bottoming out and hitting hard, couple that with a loose front shock sleeve(yeah i know,just add it to the list of things to replace.) And the whole front end sounds like it's about to end of coming through the floor boards. I found out mine was loose while layong under there checking everything else and i had grabbed onto to swing myself out from under the truck and bingo, it shifted a little and made the same exact noise i had been hearing on the road, just slightly less jarring. And about that, anyone know if the rivets can be drilled out and replaced with same diameter bolts and still maintain the components integrity?

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote