The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
sags

Just started 230 swap- wiring question

Folks- need some help. After a few months and lots of clean up, I finally got to where I could start the 'new' motor. I swapped a leaky 230 for a rebuilt and resealed one. Started and ran for a bit but won't idle yet. Another day. But I have some wiring questions. First, see the tab coming off the ignition? Where is this supposed to connect to? The old motor had an HEI conversion but the bigger, bulkier version. Is this for an aftermarket tach? Second question, there are three wires for the solenoid, purple, black and white/green. The black wire has a big connection like the positive battery cable. Is it a safe assumption that goes along there? And for some odd reason, the cold temp light goes on and stays on when I connect the battery. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Happy Father's Day to all out there.
Attached Images

sags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
vince1

Re: Just started 230 swap- wiring question

I can't offer much except that on mine from what I remember the wires run down the RH side of the valve cover, around the front and hook up to the two terminal switch at the front and LH side of the engine. When cranking to start the hot light comes on and after it is running the cold light stays on until the engine gets warm.

I put on the HEI with the big cap and am very happy I did so. It used to cough and spit before and what I thought was a carb problem got cured with the addition of the HEI. If you could recover that HEI unit from the old engine you won't look back. If you want it to look original the Petronix conversion will also work.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
vince1

Re: Just started 230 swap- wiring question

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=378484

Some wiring diagrams
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote