The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Got my me carb!

Got a brand new Holley 650 dp to replace the Edelbrock 650 AVS I cracked tightening it down. I'm pretty excited, never had a Holley before
Attached Images

Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Got my me carb!

Nice!
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
Boyd67

In my opinion it's a way better performance carb over a edlebrock.

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
firedemon

purdy
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Mrturner1

I also got an MSD distributor so I can properly limit the initial timing for my cam, I was having a lot of issues because it's a big cam and now I don't have to drive with a locked out distributor
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd67 View Post
I have heard this from a few different people and I hope you're right, I'm very excited to find out
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #7
wbc409

Depending on how big your cam is, you may have to drill a couple of small holes in the throttle blades. When you set your idle, check to make sure that the transfer slot in the side of the primary throat is visible. If it isn't you are going to have some tuning issues until you drill the holes. You might not have to do this, some of the newer Holley's come from the factory with a longer transfer slot already.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
wfojon
Chevy guy

Nice carb, you are going to like it. It looks like you have 4 corner idle adjustment so it should be easy to set for any cam.
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #9
Mrturner1

What a bummer, I bought the door feedline from our PC and you can see in the picture how far off it is. It's the right part so I'm not sure what is wrong but it looks like I'm not starting it up tonight. What a bummer
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #10
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbc409 View Post
Depending on how big your cam is, you may have to drill a couple of small holes in the throttle blades. When you set your idle, check to make sure that the transfer slot in the side of the primary throat is visible. If it isn't you are going to have some tuning issues until you drill the holes. You might not have to do this, some of the newer Holley's come from the factory with a longer transfer slot already.
Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it. This is only my third carburetor and the other two were Edelbrock 600 and 650 AVS, much different from this I can tell.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
wfojon
Chevy guy

Cut it in the middle and add a section of fuel line to make it fit. It is easier to get the lines into the carb when you have some flexibility anyway. Some don't like the looks but the air cleaner covers it from sight.
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:44 AM   #12
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd67 View Post
depends on what your comparing. The holly is versitile. no reason you cant fine tune it to maximize its advantages. Its agood choice. lots of literature on it.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #13
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbc409 View Post
Never ever do this!!
Especially on a carb that has an adjustable secondary and a 4 corner idle.
Fix the problem thru fine tuning the timing curve.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfojon View Post
Cut it in the middle and add a section of fuel line to make it fit. It is easier to get the lines into the carb when you have some flexibility anyway. Some don't like the looks but the air cleaner covers it from sight.
dont go chopping up your fuel line. return it for the correct one. you have a double pumper? that means you have a second metering block between the float bowl and the whatzits. your fuel line is off by the thickness of that metering block. no big deal, you just got the wrong fuel line.

I also agree that you ought not to do any permenent modifications untill you get all the literature you can on these carbs. no matter what the books cost, it will always be cheaper than replacing a carb. also... with 4 corner idle systems. it compensates for those mythological modifications that might or might not other wise be nessessary. read up on it . nothing you cant do with a good supply of parts.

David Vizard has written a good book on those carbs. many others you should have in your library. lots of info.

Last edited by mike16; 06-21-2016 at 12:57 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #15
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
dont go chopping up your fuel line. return it for the correct one. you have a double pumper? that means you have a second metering block between the float bowl and the whatzits. your fuel line is off by the thickness of that metering block. no big deal, you just got the wrong fuel line.

I also agree that you ought not to do any permenent modifications untill you get all the literature you can on these carbs. no matter what the books cost, it will always be cheaper than replacing a carb. also... with 4 corner idle systems. it compensates for those mythological modifications that might or might not other wise be nessessary. read up on it . nothing you cant do with a good supply of parts.

David Vizard has written a good book on those carbs. many others you should have in your library. lots of info.
Yep it's a double pumper I had a lot of choices and I've been thinking about it for weeks and reading articles and dyno sheets and every bit of info I could on carbs and combos. I narrowed it down to a few, including the 670 street avenger which I was really really close to getting, a Holley street hp 750 but I ended up wanting a choke and decided a 650 would give a better signal and not be a turd down low, and the 650 DP. I went with the DP 650 because I have a fairly large cam and a 3000 rpm stall with 3.73 gear. Not huge by any means but it's a Comp 280H that has .480" lift, 230 duration @.050 and it's on a 110 LSA, BUT I plan to swap this cam soon for a Comp 292H, which is even more rumbly. So that, and the 3000 rpm stall is what ultimately pushed me towards the 650 DP. I've read they are better for lighter vehicles, but also that my stall and rear end gear will work well with it. Either way I'm very excited I have had so much trouble with this build (my first) and I think I'm finally getting the last bugs worked out. My old alternator was causing me a lot of trouble with tuning, because it had way to little idle amperage and I didn't know that's what was wrong. So I gave the truck a TON of initial timing because it made the truck idle higher which turned the alt faster, which created enough amperage to run right. Since I didn't know it was the alt, I figured the cam wanted 20-some degrees of initial just based on the fact that it ran better that way. Anyway, short story long I got a Powermaster 105 with the Holley carb, so charging issues as well as vacuum leaks from the cracked carb are all fixed, which means all this hard work and time is finally gonna pay off I'm excited, will report back tomarrow after I get the right parts and fire it up.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 AM   #16
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Never ever do this!!
Especially on a carb that has an adjustable secondary and a 4 corner idle.
Fix the problem thru fine tuning the timing curve.
Thanks for sticking around my threads I always like having your input and mechanical wisdom. You've seen this thing from day one lol what a mess. It's lookin like it's gonna pay off though
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #17
wbc409

Holley makes a good book for tuning, I have always seen them with a red cover.
The modification to the throttle blades was usually done on engines with large cams when the idle screw had to be turned in far enough that the throttle blades moved past the transfer slot. It is at the bottom of the list of things to do to the carb. It is something to be aware of. Like the others said, I would try all the other tuning steps first.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #18
Boyd67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
depends on what your comparing. The holly is versitile. no reason you cant fine tune it to maximize its advantages. Its agood choice. lots of literature on it.
My personal experience has been that the edlebrock always seems to run smooth but doesn't quite make the power the Holley. At wide-open throttle the Holley performs better. Just my opinion

Edlebrock= Smooth, Better MPG
Holley= HP

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You bought a dual feed line for a 4160 series carb with no metering block in the back so the distance between the 2 inlets is shorter.

You need a dual feed fuel line that fits a 4150 series carb with the rear metering block.

Everybody thinks that Holley carbs are so complicated. It's because they try to do too much at once. If it is a new carb that you bought and it came with a DVD in the box. Watch it from beginning to end. There is a ton of good info on it about tuning that carb.

It will be like night and day from that Edelpuke.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-22-2016 at 03:47 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote