The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Have you guys bought crate engines off EBay?

Hey guys I've been searching and reading all over about crate engines (specifically a 383) and checked places like Summit, Jegs, Speedway, Blueprint...ect ect. For the most part, to get around 400hp with decent parts, balanced internally and externally, and dyno tested its about 4K-5k. So I started putting together a plan to try building my first short block because 5k is a little steep right now, and I was a little reluctant because I've only ever done heads and cam changes and this would be my first time with pistons and rods and a crank, all that cool stuff. So here's the thing, I never considered looking on Ebay for a crate engine because I just figured it's not a safe bet, and that's just asking to get scammed or taken for a bunch of money. But I looked around and I found a few guys selling really nice crate engines and they had 100% positive feedback, and had made hundreds of sales over the past couple years. As far as I know, positive feedback and a record of successful sales cannot be faked on EBay right? I found a guy who would build me a 383 out of a 4 bolt main, 1 peice rear seal, with all new parts including hyper pistons and ARP hardware, for about 3k that makes 440hp. That's not bad at all, in fact it sounds too good to be true which is why I bring this to you guys so I can make a good decision and not loose a bunch of money to a scam artist.

So tell me what you think, your experiences if you have them and if you'd trust the eBay machine shops with 100% feedback and a long record of engine sales

Thanks guys, Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Have you guys bought crate engines off EBay?

My feelings are I am best off buying at my dealership, but if I had one shipped it would be through Jegs. They offer great prices and often free shipping. They are also not so far away I couldn't drive there. If I did buy from a distant source I would want to know it;'s solid established business with years of reputation behind them. I saw a banner here showing crate engines available from Amazon. I have my own personal feelings about giving it all to one source and would never ever even consider that. I might be a hard head, but I still like building my own because that's where it all came from and certainly where I've come from. You could always back away from the excessive HP mark and drop back to more than you'll need 300hp mark that used to be enough to please us all and save a lot of money, if that is your goal. I have a 327 built to 325HP I have $1,300 into, including intake and ARP bolts. I'm building a 383 for my other truck that will have more power and double the cost. I'm thinking no more than $3k. Not as concerned with HP, I am mostly after torque

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
sdotrivers15

Example, i know skip white sells engines on eBay & they're legit. Who's the builder?
sdotrivers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Mrturner1

The guy is in Portland Oregon and is called EngineParts2013 on EBay
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Mrturner1

He builds all kinds of motors, I saw 302's and 351's, everything SBC and he will build BB Chevy upon request. He has 100% positive feedback and about 300 happy customers.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
geezer#99

WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

Don't buy anything thing from those hacks.
They've had several name changes but still the same guys.
A little reading for you.
http://chs-machine.pissedconsumer.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
davepl

Believe it or not I bought mine off Amazon! It shipped from a GM dealer though, not the Amazon warehouse.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I would only purchase a legit GM crate engine from a legit seller like summit/jegs (I have done this) or an actual GM dealer, like Flow Chevrolet out of NC (they operate GMpartsdirect.com)

Any "built engine" I would want to be local so I have some recourse and show up at their shop if there's issues.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
ptc

There are two "Whites" in Tennessee

Skip White Racing Engines

and

White Performance

They both do about all of the same things and for about the same money on any type of motor you can think of. BUT - you need to understand what they are selling you and what you are doing with the motor.

They will sell you a "SHOW CAR" motor that can be as big as 632" but have the staying power and reliability of a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine....

If you want real performance and RELIABILITY then pay for it and get the better parts installed.... thats where people go wrong thinking they can have the best for LESS.... it just doesnt happen, and thats not the builders fault if you want it for LESS.

Im buying a 540 engine from White Performance spec'd out for 717hp that is race ready for about $9K. They have the same motor listed as a "SHOW CAR BUILD" for about $6,500.... the biggest difference is the rotating assembly parts. Cast vs. Steel.... crank, rods, and then an upgrade on the pistons, rings, bearings.

Just know whats going into the build, NOT just the numbers.... Have them guarantee that those part numbers will be used, that way when you take it apart after it scatters you can verify if it was built "TO SPEC"....

Last edited by ptc; 06-20-2016 at 03:43 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
ptc

Heres a great deal right now....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709836

you cant beat this or build it for that money....
Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
garyd1961

I put a 500 hp 383 in my 1970 C10 and I hated it. Fun to listen to but not fun to drive. I bought this engine listed below from Summit put a Summit brand aluminum intake, Holley carb, long tube headers, and MSD ignition on it. It's a 4 bolt block with Vortec heads, Hydraulic roller cam, making around 300 hp, and I couldn't be happier with it.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?...yword=12530283
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

300hp is ideal, always was. I have weeded out the best in my area and formed friendly relationships, good friends in most cases, with the people I might need for services. I am more than a customer to them and they are more than a service to me. They work with me and I work with them on whatever comes up. just took heads in for valve job. They were torn down, hot tanked, and a crack was found before magnaflux. I'll be picking them up (still one good head) and there will be no charge. Yesterday I had a tire to dismount so I could sandblast and paint the wheel, then come back and have the tire dismounted/mounted on that wheel. I walked away with my wheel and left the old tire without leaving a dime. I'll remind him to charge me for tire disposal when I pay later. Late yesterday evening I took a relaxing drive up through the country to drop that wheel and some other things to the sandblaster I've used for 30+ years. He came home from his Lions Club meeting and we leaned on a tailgate and chatted till the moon was out. No quote, I know he'll treat me right. For crate engines I go to the same Chevy dealer I bought 67-72 parts from when they were in stock, then ordered anything I wanted when they became N.O.S....at a 30% discount. I could go on and on, building materials and services, Harley stuff, chrome plating, custom paint, pinstripe, upholstery, small engine, tools, but I won't . I could survive quite well without the computer or any big box enterprise.

Not telling anyone how to do their business. Just saying there are what I feel are better, more meaningful ways. I know who I need to know and all this is my life, not a hobby. It's what I do

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
A1971Blazer

On the same subject..........has anyone had a dealings with the Chevrolet Performance HT383 crate motor?

It looks like a torque monster from the specs....and it has all the good stuff (forged crank, vortec heads, roller cam...etc) but I'm just a bit hesitant about a Mexican engine...it has a warranty but there are a lot of conditions attached to it....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #14
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
300hp is ideal, always was. I have weeded out the best in my area and formed friendly relationships, good friends in most cases, with the people I might need for services. I am more than a customer to them and they are more than a service to me. They work with me and I work with them on whatever comes up. just took heads in for valve job. They were torn down, hot tanked, and a crack was found before magnaflux. I'll be picking them up (still one good head) and there will be no charge. Yesterday I had a tire to dismount so I could sandblast and paint the wheel, then come back and have the tire dismounted/mounted on that wheel. I walked away with my wheel and left the old tire without leaving a dime. I'll remind him to charge me for tire disposal when I pay later. Late yesterday evening I took a relaxing drive up through the country to drop that wheel and some other things to the sandblaster I've used for 30+ years. He came home from his Lions Club meeting and we leaned on a tailgate and chatted till the moon was out. No quote, I know he'll treat me right. For crate engines I go to the same Chevy dealer I bought 67-72 parts from when they were in stock, then ordered anything I wanted when they became N.O.S....at a 30% discount. I could go on and on, building materials and services, Harley stuff, chrome plating, custom paint, pinstripe, upholstery, small engine, tools, but I won't . I could survive quite well without the computer or any big box enterprise.

Not telling anyone how to do their business. Just saying there are what I feel are better, more meaningful ways. I know who I need to know and all this is my life, not a hobby. It's what I do
Great post! Making friends and lasting relationships is why I enjoy this hobby, specifically old trucks - for the most part we are a different breed than the typical 'car show' guys. I try my best to deal local if at all possible, but sometimes you do have to make a financial decision to shop elsewhere, just make sure you at least give the local guy a shot.

On a side note - that HT383 has always intrigued me, as has the HT502. Seems like they would be a great mild mannered street engine.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
71GreenJunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
On the same subject..........has anyone had a dealings with the Chevrolet Performance HT383 crate motor?

It looks like a torque monster from the specs....and it has all the good stuff (forged crank, vortec heads, roller cam...etc) but I'm just a bit hesitant about a Mexican engine...it has a warranty but there are a lot of conditions attached to it....
A couple years ago I had bought a car with a GMPP 260hp 350. It was already well used when I bought the car and I beat the living crap out of it. I would cruise down the interstate at 4000 rpm often. If I left a light it was wide open. I usually would only wind it out to 5000 though because it had some weak springs which is why the flat tappet cam was fine even with new oil. I realize that it's far from the ht383 but they're likely made in the same facility. I doubt there's really much difference between a production line engine made here and Mexico. No matter where the plant is or what they make a factory worker likely doesn't care about what he's putting together just when next break is, what he's gonna do later, and how much longer until he goes home. Been at enough factories to know. There are a ton of GM crate engines out there. In my experience and most all of what I've heard are all good. I suspect GM has some good quality control down there, that's what makes the difference. Im probably buying another 260hp crate to replace my 307 sometime this year and as soon as I get it I'll be degreeing the cam so I trust it well enough to void the warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device
71GreenJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
Coley

Smile Re: Have you guys bought crate engines off EBay?

I too would take a page from Special-k's comments on this.
600 hp is a lot like a 7500 watt stereo to me, which is pretty much unuseable unless you are actually involved in racing or......
Whereas 300 hp is right in the wheel house of most probable driving scenarios.
The caveat for me tho' would be the torque...that is what I would always value over the hp number...certainly in anything that weighs 4000 lbs or more, like these trucks.
However, more to the point of where you buy/purchase your power....I would always try to buy/find or have it built locally if possible.
As Special-K mentioned...these relationships are the gravy in this hobby and if you find a good builder and work with them (and vice versa) it is a win, win situation.
Its also great to help keep the local economy and local skilled people in business and employed vs. the offshore, out of country, cheap labor angle....that everyone eventually laments when their job suddenly is on the line due to outsourcing or 'off-shoring' their skills or their products.
However people seem to forget this local vs cheap labor stuff often when they go shopping...which is why I don't darken the doorstep of Walmart or Harbor freight if I can help it.
As for pricing...I have always found that if I can present the competitors pricing to a 'local' guy...he will work to come closer to that number, you just have to have a respectful discussion...you might be surprised at the positive result.

My two bits.
All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
cleszkie

I got my crate engine (450 hp, 475 ft-lbs SBC) through a reputable outfit out of Texas (HTK High Performance). Been very happy with the engine, and their customer support. It was probably a bit on the expensive side $5K+, but is a full roller motor with all high quality components and bullet-proof Scat rotating assembly. What I really liked was that they ran the engine on a dyno before shipping, and provided the dyno run output sheet. They also provided all of the manufacturer's paperwork for the individual components, and the balancing sheet for the rotating assembly. There were no mysteries about what showed up at my door. You get what you pay for.

Oh yeah, a great warrantee too.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
Z10

I'm running a ZZ4 350/355hp/405tq that I bought from a dealership in Nebraska and had shipped for free, with no sales tax to Texas. Factory Chevy crate motors are a commodity, they are all the same, so it really boiled down to price and availability for me. So I would not concern my self with where it comes from. Just pay with a credit card and if something goes wrong contest the charge.

Now for the ZZ4. I have two of them. One in my 69 Camaro Z10 and the other in my 72 GMC short step. The Camaro has a new Fitech intake system and the GMC has a F.I.R.S.T. Tuned Port. These engines have been around a long time and thousands have been sold. It's a great motor with good HP and great torque for my needs.

Oh, I bought the one for my Camaro used off eBay with about 2000 miles. That was about 12 years ago, and the engine runs every bit as good as the new one I installed in the GMC 2 years ago.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #19
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
The guy is in Portland Oregon and is called EngineParts2013 on EBay
Call him, and pm me with a company name.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #20
Mrturner1

300hp might be good for you guys but I'm not at that phase of my life yet apparently (no disrespect intended J respect my elders the Army taught me that) because I really really want to be able to break the tires loose from a roll at about 25-30 mph lol

And SpecialK I hear ya about making relationships and the sad thing is I've tried all over here in Colfax and even more in Sacramento where I grew up. I went to an engine builder/machine shop in Sacramento and I asked about having him put together a forged 383 short block for me and first off, he interrupted me and said "it's gonna be 4000 dollars bare minimum and that's not including extra machine work and other possible charges." Now, aside from being extremely overpriced he was very rude and acted almost like he didn't want my business at all. And this is supposed to be "the shop" in Sacramento, with a cnc and a dyno and all kinds of cool crap. Then I tried to make some conversation and ask questions because I absolutely love talking everything engines now that I actually know what I'm talking about, and every answer was 5 words or less, and he didn't even try to make eye contact or act like I was even there! He was annoyed with every question I had, and my small time insignificant little project just wasn't on his level I guess. He also told me that to put my truck on the dyno for ONE run was $400 bucks, and that was just the start. It was a lot more for any tuning.

I had a similar experience with a local builder, not as bad but not personable at all and just wanted a credit card and for me to leave. So that's why I have PM conversations with guys like Davepl and Grump Old Man, because they enjoy these trucks and like to share knowledge and wisdom.

Rant over
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #21
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Call him, and pm me with a company name.
Will do thanks man!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
Mrturner1

Have t been able to get him on the phone yet
Old 06-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #23
Big Kev-O

I too have had nothing but trouble with local engine builders and speed shops. The guys in my town are insanely arrogant and don't even want to waste their time on anybody who isn't filthy rich. If your not spending over 10K they don't even want your business.

I came across EngineParts2013's 383 short block and the price was super low so after some google research I found out they have several aliases... Raptor Engines, CHS Machine, Cylinder Head Specialties, Global Engine corp, Engine Parts Distributing. Pacific Engine Sales, etc..

And then I found the terrifing reviews associated with this crook, here is some interesting reading:

If you enjoy being lied to, and lied to some more and maybe don't mind waiting for something that you paid for and it may or may not come.Knock yourself out and drop the money and believe the lies.

steer clear of this character. You will get no refund, warranty, nothing, all marketing on his part. He will tell you he has 12 people at the company and he is just an employee, false. He is the owner and there is no one else.

DON'T be fooled by his innocent sounding voice on the phone, all lies!!!!!!He will tell you your engine is coming next week, then when you call him the next week, he will tell you the same, he can't give a tracking number because it hasn't been shipped! 37d7966

Paid 1300.00 to have engine rebuilt in November 2011.After 1000 mile break in engine smokes badly..was told by GREG to take to maechanic because he needed to find out what the problem is.

The mechanic I went to said all was ok. I called back machine shop after numerous heated phone calls from GREG. VERY DISTURBING CUSTOMER SERVICE..waited 7 1/2 weeks to get back after being lied to several times about getting an eta. upon arrival had broken parts..

went to see GREG and he said tuff *** ***..I am tired of your ***!? this is after engine was put in my truck. I said I needed a receipt of work done..he would not give me one??HMMM.. talks got very vulger between us and finally he pointed to his mechanic and pointed outside..

He was having his mechanic Dave pull engine out of my truck.. I said BS... GREG physically tried to tackle me to hold me in building so they can take my motor out of the truck.. (WOW) !!

WTF.. I got out of his building and he taunted me to hit him...I stopped there and said HIT me..looked at Dave the tech gut and said this is WRONG.. GREG then ran to my truck and grabbed my manifold ( VERY RARE PIECE ) and slammed it on the ground and broke it..after that I locked my truck and called police. Police came after 20 minutes..at that time I told them what happened in dis-belief..we went back to the shop..On the counter was a bill just made up for 300.00 for looking at engine.

(7 WEKKS FOR THAT ) HMMM Dave told me he was going to rehone cylinders and re-ring it..Police not really knowing what to believe said I owe him 300.00 before taking engine back...HMMM they already put it in my truck..( NICE WARRANTY ).. So I left after getting bruised up.. out $300.00 and out broken parts..

CIVIL SUIT IS BEING FILED..taking engine to another machine shop to have looked at.PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY..believe what you want..

Another...

I purchased an engine on ebay from CHS machine in june 2011.It wasn't delivered until august & only after I opened a case in ebay.

To avoid any warrenty issues I had a local shop do the install . The engine was JUNK ! Greg argued with my mechanic and then wanted a second opinion!. Only after t hree different shops agreed the engine was no good did have fedex pick it up in dec 2011|.

Since then I've heard all the stories : We're building you a new engine , the engine has been lost in shipping ,its been found, but may be damaged, I'll check with my boss about a refund, you will receive a refund in 10 days, forget the refund - I'm building you another engine, we're moving, I don't know when it will be ready and so on,& on & on!. the last time I spoke with Greg Mahoney was on 8/24/2012 and he got pissed at me for not waiting for his call!. I've heard nothing from him since then /.To date my expences are close to $6000 and I still don't have an engine!.Living in Florida theres not a whole lot I can do that would be effective..

So warn everyone you can to stay away from these guys - particulairly GREG MAHONEY..I can be contacted at 850 832-1832

Placed an order for some heads, never received.Asked for money back, Greg the office manager said he would do a reversal on our credit card.

Never happened. 2 months later and still never received refund on credit card. Called him over and over again and he refuses to talk to me or my husband, treats you like it is your fault that he stole your money, scammed you fair and square.

Ask to speak to owner and he won't let you do that either.Don't do business with this company, the odds are that you will be without product and / or your money!