The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
fireblade_rr

52 SBC EFI, gas tank help

Hello all,

1952 Chevy 3100 has a SBC 350 and Turbo 350 trans.
I'm thinking about installing a Edelbrock E-Street EFI system.
The truck already had a 19 gallon steel rear mount fuel tank installed.
Tank can be seen here http://www.lmctruck.com/features/ca/ca5s3.htm
Part # 32-5910

Does anyone know if or what in-tank fuel pump and sending unit I can use with this tank?
If there is no in-tank unit I can use my next question is how do I properly hookup a external inline pump? There are 2 outlets on the bottom corner (please see pic) and one on the top corner. Do I put the return next to the bottom outlet or do I install in on the top? Do I need a vent? Currently the top outlet is being used as a vent with a nipple and coiled up fuel line. I have a pop-up style cap (part # 32-5803 from same place the tank is from) and I'm not sure if its vented.
Attached Images

fireblade_rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 52 SBC EFI, gas tank help

That tank is really setup for a carbed engine. The EFI should have a return into a fuel tray so the pump doesn't suck air going around corners or hard stops or acceleration
Something like this made to adapt a carb tank to a internal EFI tank
link
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
GreasyLikeaBurger

If you havent already purchased the Edelbrock setup yet, you might want to look into FITECH. They are a "newer" company that offers an awesome throtle body fuel injection system for way less than the edelbrock. I am planing to run them on my '52 when I get around to finishing it. There have been a few members here that have tried it, and give high praise for the product.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
HUSSEY

I would go with an in-tank fuel pump. Check out Tanks Inc, they seem better priced than most.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

I would also consider the new Holley Sniper EFI.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550...FQmqaQod0fEDxA
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Aeromotive is supposed to a good pump, the Phantom. Here's an article you might be interested in, http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...livery-system/
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Comfort Creature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade_rr View Post
Hello all,
Does anyone know if or what in-tank fuel pump and sending unit I can use with this tank?
As far as the sender, I think that you may be best off going with the sender that LMC Truck sells for that specific tank. There is a good chance that you can get an aftermarket one that you can fit in there, but any savings may be offset by the hassle of getting leak-free fit adn accurate readings.

This tank is not built for a in-tank fuel pump so that really isn't practical. However, an inline fuel pump should work great. The specifications indicate that the tank is baffled so if you use one of the outlets for a feed and the other for a return, it should return fuel into the baffled area so fuel starvation on acceleration and corners shouldn't be an issue.

It's really hard to beat a good Made-In-The-USA Walbro 255 LPH inline pump for a setup like this. These guys have a kit that includes the mounting components and offers a big selection of inlet and outlet fittings.

http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gs...5lph-pump.html

And while I know they pushed their ETA out until September I still think that the Holley Sniper is worth waiting for. Good luck.
Comfort Creature is offline   Reply With Quote