The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
chevycheetah

Engine build

I'm starting my build of my '72 I bought in January. I've finally got the money and job security to make it happen, so this is my new toy. I've only removed the intake manifold and the valve covers but what I have seen is not pretty so far at all... The center air passage on the intake manifold is burnt to hell and back and there is a fair amount of carbon build up underneath the intake manifold. Plugging several of the openings under the intake manifold was a mold looking substance that I had never seen before. A mechanic friend told me from the pictures that it was most likely that the previous owner used a lot of starting fluid or ether and it is just a build up of that. The carb is far too oversized as well and I'm sure has been turned up to burn more rich. I'm sure the valves are probably fairly burnt up as well. It appears I'm going to rebuild the entire engine and really check it out and clean it up: I'm mostly interested in looking at the crankshaft. It is not the original engine but a fairly new, low mile, crate motor from Summit; that is what scares me. I will try to get pictures and keep posting updates. Curious what some ideas would be to build up this 350? (assuming the block is in good enough condition)
I don't want anything out of this world, just a nice, properly running engine that can tow a bit if needed on very, very rare occasions. I also know where I can get two 7.3l diesels and a transmission for $800 from a friend of a friend who is a diesel mechanic. Maybe worth checking out?
Not sure what I want to do on the engine yet but I've got to repair the brakes and cab first anyhow so until then, I can plan.
chevycheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Engine build

Leave the power strokes to the Ford guys. While good motors, they just don't seem right for your type of truck. Find a good running small block for sale and put it in. Sometimes you can buy a GOODWRENCH motor for around $1500 and sometimes cheaper if you shop around. Unless someone put a huge carb on for a crazy reason it is probably not too big just adjusted poorly. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
chevycheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Leave the power strokes to the Ford guys. While good motors, they just don't seem right for your type of truck. Find a good running small block for sale and put it in. Sometimes you can buy a GOODWRENCH motor for around $1500 and sometimes cheaper if you shop around. Unless someone put a huge carb on for a crazy reason it is probably not too big just adjusted poorly. Jim
Well the carb is like a 750 cfm edelbrock with a stock cam and stock engine so not only is it adjusted wrong but that seems way oversized to be throwing on something stock. I'm sure plenty of people could make it work but that seems like too much carb to me.
As far as the good wrench engine, I've looked at those many times on Jegs and always been interested but I'm not sure about shelling out that kind of money IF I am able to salvage the block, which I believe I can if I take the time and clean it up. My main reason behind that is the odds are at some point down the road, assuming I don't pick up other projects, I will want a big block engine in this truck. Right now I can justify that sort of spending and really don't have the free spending money yet but in a few years or longer, it is a definite possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
phillip123hastings

Get a cool small block and just put it in. Out with the Power strokes.
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
asolde

One thing for sure is you can buy that goodwrench crate engine and have it shipped to your door a lot cheaper than to build a engine for. Although it is fun to build your own engine. I just got done installing the 350 crate engine in my blazer and very happy so far. I did put a cam shaft in the crate engine to give a little more horse power. Good luck
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
chevycheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolde View Post
One thing for sure is you can buy that goodwrench crate engine and have it shipped to your door a lot cheaper than to build a engine for. Although it is fun to build your own engine. I just got done installing the 350 crate engine in my blazer and very happy so far. I did put a cam shaft in the crate engine to give a little more horse power. Good luck
How much would it cost to build an engine? I've read a lot of good things about the good wrench engines. For the money it definitely seems like a good deal overall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

As much as one of those crate engine cost. Give or take a hundo or so...

Most of your cost is in quality machine work.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Redline novdog

Just an FYI. You should keep the engine that's in it. If it's original to the truck, no matter what kind of engine you end up installing. I kick myself the 'stock' engines I sold out of cars for a "hotrod" engine. Wish I had them back!!!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
chevycheetah

Sadly the engine is not stock I wish it were. It is a crate engine off summit with a one piece seal: I believe the 210 HP but not positive on that.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
Redline novdog

Pretty much put what you want in it then huh?! The engine that is in it could be sold for few hundred bucks if you buy another without a core charge. Good luck! There are small block Chevy's everywhere!!!LOL
Old 06-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
garyd1961

Check this out, I have one in my truck and love it. It's rated 255 hp with factory fuel injection but with a good carb and headers it'll make 300 hp. It has a lot of low end torque also. You can cut the bosses down on the valve guides and add a bigger cam and make over 400 hp if that is what want.
https://www.summitracing.com/search?...yword=12530283
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
chevycheetah

Essentially I want something that runs without going broke, lol. Will the L31 on summit mount up to a 700r4 from an '89 truck? I assume so and everything looks in order but yall know better than I.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #13
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycheetah View Post
Essentially I want something that runs without going broke, lol. Will the L31 on summit mount up to a 700r4 from an '89 truck? I assume so and everything looks in order but yall know better than I.
Yep.
Will need an electric fuel pump though.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #14
chevycheetah

Anything else I would need to make that work or just an electric fuel pump? If that's all I'd need them that would really be worth some consideration. What about a 383? Assuming the block I have is in reasonable shape and I need it machined out anyway, what would I be looking at price wise for that? I know I've seen kits as cheap as $500 and heard about good ones for around $800
Old 06-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
garyd1961

Quote:
Anything else I would need to make that work or just an electric fuel pump? If that's all I'd need them that would really be worth some consideration. What about a 383? Assuming the block I have is in reasonable shape and I need it machined out anyway, what would I be looking at price wise for that? I know I've seen kits as cheap as $500 and heard about good ones for around $800
You will also need a vortec intake for the L31-R. I used the Summit brand for around $150. They aren't the prettiest as far as casting goes but they work and they actually ranked very high when tested against other brands.
Building a 383 can get quite expensive, machine work and good heads aren't cheap. By kits I take it you mean rotating assemblies if so expect to pay for balancing. A good balanced rotating assembly with a steel crank will probably cost 3 times the prices you mentioned.
I'm not trying to scare you off a 383 I have one myself in a S10 and it will make a lot of hp but hp isn't cheap. Actually my 383 is sitting on a stand but I'll get it back in my truck one day, rather work on my C10 right now.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
chevycheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
You will also need a vortec intake for the L31-R. I used the Summit brand for around $150. They aren't the prettiest as far as casting goes but they work and they actually ranked very high when tested against other brands.
Building a 383 can get quite expensive, machine work and good heads aren't cheap. By kits I take it you mean rotating assemblies if so expect to pay for balancing. A good balanced rotating assembly with a steel crank will probably cost 3 times the prices you mentioned.
I'm not trying to scare you off a 383 I have one myself in a S10 and it will make a lot of hp but hp isn't cheap. Actually my 383 is sitting on a stand but I'll get it back in my truck one day, rather work on my C10 right now.
Well any time I hear 3 times the price, knowing I don't need that much HP, I'll run away pretty fast since I don't NEED it just want it lol. Not really feeling the extra cost that will get unused anyway.
I'd like to swap out to a manual transmission though and was considering an sm465? Any ideas on what would go well with the 2 piece 350 crate? what do you all run behind it?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #17
toolboxchev

Quote:
Well any time I hear 3 times the price, knowing I don't need that much HP, I'll run away pretty fast since I don't NEED it just want it lol. Not really feeling the extra cost that will get unused anyway.
I'd like to swap out to a manual transmission though and was considering an sm465? Any ideas on what would go well with the 2 piece 350 crate? what do you all run behind it?
Having some ponies behind a turbo 350 or SM 465 and a 4.10 rear end will give you plenty of get up and go up to 75mph
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #18
garyd1961

It depends on what gear you have in the rear and what you want to use the truck for. I have a 3.07 gear and run a TCI Street Fighter th350 from summit. If you have 373 gears or lower and don't drive on the interstate much you probably could get away with a th350.
I'm an old school guy and don't know much about the 700r4 trans but I hear a lot of guys on here running them. If I had 373 or higher gear I might would check them out though.