The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
CousinTone

Tilt Column Help in Orange County CA

Hey there, I've been working on my 72 GMC extra long bed, Sierra and Was at the interior, the steering column specifically, and I had accident that required shoulder surgery, me going out on disability and unable to work on any of my 3 projects for almost a year now. I'm healed up but need help with the tilt column. My wife has been very patient, almost a year. It's got the steering wheel pushed on so I can move her on street sweeping days, but harness is out up top and I'm stuck, can't remember how I got to this point, and phone with pics is @ bottom of Lake Havasu! Anyone around my area available for some teaching? I'm a quick learner and would compensate you for your time, travel and kindness. Let me know. I appreciate it. CousinTone, North Orange County CA.
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
CousinTone

Re: Tilt Column Help in Orange County CA

Not one piece of advice of how to get harness up through my column? Someone has had to run into this issue in their restorations. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
haysonj

Not real sure but I have read a few posts on here where they say you have to remove the bottom connector and feed it down from the top.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
CousinTone

Not one piece of advice of how to get harness up through my column? Someone has had to run into this issue in their restorations. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Not real sure but I have read a few posts on here where they say you have to remove the bottom connector and feed it down from the top.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been trying to fish the bottom up and I'm becoming bottom up. Thanks for the idea, much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
elkniks

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Yep. the connector has that curved shape that makes you think that it will slide through. Maybe it will on a non tilt, but I had to pull all of the wires out of the connector, pull them through and then plug the wires back into connector.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #7
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkniks View Post
Yep. the connector has that curved shape that makes you think that it will slide through. Maybe it will on a non tilt, but I had to pull all of the wires out of the connector, pull them through and then plug the wires back into connector.
Well then, where were those nice instructions on my new harness? No wonder, I'm trying to fit 50 lbs of cr*p into a 1 lb bag! I may also have someone local to me form this community to come help, it was a welcome and generous offer. This board and all you guys/girls are awesome!