The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #176
jlsanborn

Re: I'm finally starting to work on Bella.

Ya, we calculated 9+ but didn't actually cc the heads or pistons, didn't count for head gasket bore size and such, so saying 9:1 is a little conservative. His last build got him closer to 10 and he bought valve springs that allowed him to go up one step in the Voodoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-yQvmeT28

Here's his 9:1 motor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_ru7vFe-Y
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #177
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Ya, we calculated 9+ but didn't actually cc the heads or pistons, didn't count for head gasket bore size and such, so saying 9:1 is a little conservative. His last build got him closer to 10 and he bought valve springs that allowed him to go up one step in the Voodoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-yQvmeT28

Here's his 9:1 motor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_ru7vFe-Y

Very cool! Thank you!

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #178
Pick

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I have flown to a few places around the earth (for work) since I posted last, but I'm still here and Bella is still here.

I have come to the decision to end my driveway rebuild.........I just couldn't do what I wanted to do, in the time I have available, in the driveway.

SO............here's a preview......stay tuned as we see if I can jump through all of the flaming hoops thrown up by the county.......
Attached Images

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack
Old 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #179
GR8-68

I feel your pain Pick, I am starting the same project, building a barn to store my projects and to work on Betty Boop, driveway builds suck.
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #180
Pick

Yes. Yes, they do.

They are better than no builds at all....but some days they make you wonder (and question your own sanity)!

(of course, most folks question my sanity anyway, but that's another story.)

Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #181
jlsanborn

Congrats! All that travel is paying off huh? I used to be a road warrior too.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #182
jim-bob

Yo Pick..I sent you a PM..
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #183
Pick

Quote:
Congrats! All that travel is paying off huh? I used to be a road warrior too.
THANKS! Yep, the travel and OT definitely helped make the garage/shop possible! Although, if it continues like it has, I may not have time to USE the garage/shop! (life's full of little trade-offs, I guess.) I have tried to avoid doing the out-of-town jobs but they keep dragging me out of "retirement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
Yo Pick..I sent you a PM..
Your account settings won't let me reply to you. I tried yesterday and this morning. Check 'em and send me another PM and I will be able to answer your questions.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #184
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
THANKS! Yep, the travel and OT definitely helped make the garage/shop possible! Although, if it continues like it has, I may not have time to USE the garage/shop! (life's full of little trade-offs, I guess.) I have tried to avoid doing the out-of-town jobs but they keep dragging me out of "retirement".

Your account settings won't let me reply to you. I tried yesterday and this morning. Check 'em and send me another PM and I will be able to answer your questions.
don't understand what else I should do to receive PM replies..I did what it prompted that I should add you to my Contacts..Anyway if you rec'd my message will you respond either here or email? jhw4185@aol.com I sure would like to visit them..Thanks Pick
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #185
Pick

We finally got concrete down a week ago.....now I am just waiting for a date when we can put up the building. (FINALLY!)
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #186
Pick

It's up! It isn't fancy but it should keep us dry.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #187
Bubba4spd

Nice sized shop! Your really going to enjoy that.
Bubba4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #188
jlsanborn

That is fancy!! Very nice. Let's see a shot of Bella in there now!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #189
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba4spd View Post
Nice sized shop! Your really going to enjoy that.
I am going to enjoy it! It is the absolute cheapest I could find to get a size that I thought would really allow me to fit what I wanted.

Quote:
That is fancy!! Very nice. Let's see a shot of Bella in there now!
I can't move anything in until the county gives me their blessing.......and signature......and CoO. They have dictated everything right down to the siding "being oriented to form a horizontal pattern"!? (It is in the county zoning ordinance).

There will be pictures of Bella and Chaos in their new home as soon as I am allowed. I'm really trying hard to not tick off the inspectors so I will wait a little bit longer.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #190
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do roll up doors like those offer any insulating properties? I really like how little shop space they use.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #191
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Do roll up doors like those offer any insulating properties? I really like how little shop space they use.
You can get them insulated so they help some but mine aren't. I like them because they don't affect lighting or headroom. If I want to put in a lift eventually, I don't have to worry about the doors being in the way.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #192
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
You can get them insulated so they help some but mine aren't. I like them because they don't affect lighting or headroom. If I want to put in a lift eventually, I don't have to worry about the doors being in the way.
Yeah they seem perfect for exactly what you are talking about. Ill have to look in to these.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 AM   #193
OleYeller69

Nice shop!! Do you mind sharing the specs and cost for it?
OleYeller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 AM   #194
swamp rat

Nice shop Pick!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #195
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleYeller69 View Post
Nice shop!! Do you mind sharing the specs and cost for it?
Thanks! The shop is 24' X 40' with 11' walls. 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 sq. tubing, all certified to satisfy our local zoning requirements. It came in right at $14k, including doors, insulation (more of a vapor barrier), installation, taxes, etc.

I purchased it through Bargain Barns USA and they have been great to work with through the whole process. If you contact them, tell Brandon that Roger (from GA) sent you. He and I have had countless e-mail conversations as we hammered out details, he answered my stupid questions, we dealt with the sometimes bizarre flaming hoops of our local zoning ordinances, and the inevitable weather (and life) delays.

The concrete was done by a local contractor and it came in right at $8k for the finished 6" slab plus a 40' wide driveway extension. (that was far cheaper than any other bid I got)

I still have to do my own electrical and stuff to make it all useable as "a shop" and jump through those associated flaming hoops........but I'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Nice shop Pick!
Thanks! I have "hoped to" and "wanted to" and "planned to" and just plain "wished I could" for a long time before I managed to pull all of the ends together at the same time to make it happen.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #196
swamp rat

Well that building is affordable, the slab kinda suprised me a little, I just need a new house and a little land to put one on..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #197
Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Well that building is affordable, the slab kinda suprised me a little, I just need a new house and a little land to put one on..
The concrete cost surprised me too initially! The other bids I got for the concrete were right at $8000 for the slab alone and $4.00 per square foot for the driveway extension. That made me feel much better about writing the check for my contractor!