The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Trevor

Innie and Outie ? Or are they all the same ?

Are each of the trailing arms for our trucks made up of an Inner half and Outer half or are both identical ? Switch the drivers-side arm with the passengers-side and nobody would be able to tell (except for the brake-cable bracket) ?

Or maybe a better way to ask is; are the bushing bores identical from left half to right half on same arm ? Can you put bushings in from either direction ?

I ask because I split my arms apart years ago and can't find my bushings at the moment but could've sworn they were stepped and would only go in one way, and yet I have 4 arm-halves all with the same size bores ...
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Innie and Outie ? Or are they all the same ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Are each of the trailing arms for our trucks made up of an Inner half and Outer half or are both identical ? Switch the drivers-side arm with the passengers-side and nobody would be able to tell (except for the brake-cable bracket) ?

Or maybe a better way to ask is; are the bushing bores identical from left half to right half on same arm ? Can you put bushings in from either direction ?

I ask because I split my arms apart years ago and can't find my bushings at the moment but could've sworn they were stepped and would only go in one way, and yet I have 4 arm-halves all with the same size bores ...

Without the cable bracket they are identical.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
After reading your original post again I think I need to clarify my response. In your first sentence you ask: "Are each of the trailing arms for our trucks made up of an Inner half and Outer half or are both identical?"

There is actually a right half and a left half to each trailing arm (because of the angle in front of the U-bolt holes, but the trailing arms, side to side are identical without the cable bracket.

LockDoc

-
Old 07-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
Trevor

My reason for asking is mostly to do with the bushings actually, and to clarify why I'm asking is because I'm thinking I have 4 'inner' halves, 2-from my truck (my avatar pic) and the other 2 from a parts truck I had way back when.
I think (not 100% sure but) I maybe tossed all 4 'outer' halves (the 2 outers from each truck that were more beat-up than the 2 inners from each truck).

All 4 halves I have (now/in my shop) are identical, including the bores for the bushings, including the rivet holes, so if I put them back together am I gonna find that I can't get the bushings in ?

I had an idea in my head that the one half (of each complete/assembled) arm had a larger diameter bore than it's partner-half did, so you could only put the bushing in in one direction.

If the bushings are one diameter throughout (not stepped) then it wouldn't matter if I do have 4 'inners' ? And I've just made 2 good arms out of 2 sets of arms using only the remaining 'good' (inner) halves ...

Yeah it's an unnecessarily complicated question I wouldn't have to ask if I could just find my original bushings (or wait til I buy replacements), just don't want to spend a bunch of time welding up (the 4 pieces) my 'new' arms to find out the bushings won't fit.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
EARNHARDT#3

The bushings can be pressed in from either direction. They're the same size on both ends. I purchased new bushings last year from my local Chevy dealer since they still produce them. It was cheaper than paying for shipping from an online vendor. If you get poly bushings you need the original shells because they don't come with them. I can post a part # if you'd like. I have the receipt in my C10 file at home.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Trevor

Whewwww ! Good to know !

Yeah, I have a buddy at a local dealership so a part # would be awesome.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
My reason for asking is mostly to do with the bushings actually, and to clarify why I'm asking is because I'm thinking I have 4 'inner' halves, 2-from my truck (my avatar pic) and the other 2 from a parts truck I had way back when.
I think (not 100% sure but) I maybe tossed all 4 'outer' halves (the 2 outers from each truck that were more beat-up than the 2 inners from each truck).

All 4 halves I have (now/in my shop) are identical, including the bores for the bushings, including the rivet holes, so if I put them back together am I gonna find that I can't get the bushings in ?

I had an idea in my head that the one half (of each complete/assembled) arm had a larger diameter bore than it's partner-half did, so you could only put the bushing in in one direction.

If the bushings are one diameter throughout (not stepped) then it wouldn't matter if I do have 4 'inners' ? And I've just made 2 good arms out of 2 sets of arms using only the remaining 'good' (inner) halves ...

Yeah it's an unnecessarily complicated question I wouldn't have to ask if I could just find my original bushings (or wait til I buy replacements), just don't want to spend a bunch of time welding up (the 4 pieces) my 'new' arms to find out the bushings won't fit.

The bushings are the least of your worries.... You can't put 4 inners together to make 2 arms. Easy thing to do is to get the pieces out and try putting them together. Not going to work....

LockDoc

-
Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
After reading your original post again I think I need to clarify my response. In your first sentence you ask: "Are each of the trailing arms for our trucks made up of an Inner half and Outer half or are both identical?"

There is actually a right half and a left half to each trailing arm (because of the angle in front of the U-bolt holes, but the trailing arms, side to side are identical without the cable bracket.

LockDoc
The terms 'inner' and 'outer' has confused things here.

If the bushing bores are the same on both halves (which is what I was asking), and so GM only stamped a 'left' and a 'right' half (and not 4-different pieces) then it's all good.

Yeah I wasn't thinking I could combine 4 'lefts' ... LOL
Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Whewwww ! Good to know !

Yeah, I have a buddy at a local dealership so a part # would be awesome.
3762012 and they're sold individually.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
3762012 and they're sold individually.
Thanks !